Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Are new trucks all "rust buckets"?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Default Are new trucks all "rust buckets"?

When our 1992 Accord finally dies (it's still going strong at 20, knock on wood), my wife and I are considering buying a 4x4 truck of some sort. The city of Edmonton has apparently decided that they are no longer going to plow residential streets, so I think that a good 4x4 truck would be more appropriate than a car for Edmonton's winters. (I've also always wanted to own a truck in which I could just throw stuff in the back, etc.)

But as I've been searching various truck forums on the internet, I'm more and more discouraged.

For just one example, I noticed that the Toyota Tundra now comes in a so-called Crewmax version. Lot's of legroom both in front and in back and its got the supposedly-reputable Toyota name on it, so I dig further and find this:
Toyota Launches Tundra Frame Replacement Program | Tundra Headquarters

And some photos of the problem:
Amazing Tundra Frame Rust Photos | Tundra Headquarters

And, as far as I can tell, the rust problems do not stop in gen 1:
Toyota’s New Tundra Faces Quality Concerns

When Toyotas were first introduced in the States back in the '60's, yes, they were indeed rust buckets, but over the years they became some of the most rust-resistant vehicles on the road. NOW they're going back to being rust buckets?!

It seems that every single truck forum I read describes owners' horror stories about blown diesel engines, bad transmissions, bad vibrations, peeling paint on relatively new vehicles (Rams), etc. Every problem you can imagine.

Just in our own experience, we had a man install some hardwood flooring in our house. He owns a 3500 dually Ford diesel. Just in the past few years he's had to replace injectors twice, and last year he had to replace the engine a -- $16,000 "repair".

What's going on with trucks, folks? Are they all crap nowadays? Can you recommend a good crew-cab style 4x4 truck that you know is a reliable vehicle (new or used, makes no difference)?

Thanks.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

I too am looking to purchase a truck in the next year or two, and am having a hard time finding a "good" one. I have never liked domestics to be honest, but I would really like to get a diesel truck which no import company offers.

Ford seems to be the most affordable, with used diesels(2002-2005ish) under 20k. I have read some on it, and it seems the 7.3l engine was an excellent engine that was very reliable, sadly they stopped offering this engine mid 2003 and replaced it with the 6.0l that seems to have endless problems even in the new trucks today.

Of course with this comes the Ford body that I am not too sure on as I have seen how my mother's ford treats her. And looking around at them they do seem to have rust problems.

And as for the rust issues being "new", I'm not too sure they are, look at any late 80s early 90s toyota truck and you will find plenty of it, same goes for almost any other manufacturer.

I will probably end up going with a 2002 or 2003 ford truck with the 7.3l engine. As you can find them around 10k or less these days, which is a lot better than the 40 or 50k the new ones go for.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by live2rice
"I'd like to get a diesel truck which no import company offers.

Ford seems to be the most affordable, with used diesels(2002-2005ish) under 20k. I have read some on it, and it seems the 7.3l engine was an excellent engine that was very reliable, sadly they stopped offering this engine mid 2003 and replaced it with the 6.0l that seems to have endless problems even in the new trucks today.
The flooring installer's truck was a 4 to 5 year old Ford! Not only that, but his father's truck is also a Ford, similar vintage, and has ALSO had severe injector problems.

Then comes Dodge. Dodge Chrysler Vehicles -* Poor Quality Reliability Safety Defects
Get a load of some of the Ram problems down the page a bit.
And it's not only the disgruntled that write criticisms. Get a load of this comment from a PRESENT owner who seems to be talking from personal experience:
Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums - View Single Post - 2001 vs 2010, 11, or 12
Just for the heck of it, about 4 years ago my wife and I test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel. It was new and the dealer had a special deal going because, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the vehicles had been painted outside of the USA, the paint peeled off and they all had to be re-painted. (Very encouraging for a new-vehicle buyer.) I was VERY impressed in just about every way with the luxury truck. The power was incredible and the mere height of the ride was a big change from the Honda. But we decided to keep the Honda and I've very glad we did. Owners of that vintage had big problems and those were NOT inexpensive vehicles. If I remember right, the "special deal" was still over $35K.

As for GM, there was defintely a reason that they went bankrupt. You'd think that brakes would be the most important component in a vehicle and that at least THIS area would be perfect, right? Think again.
Consumer complaints about GM Chevrolet Silverado - Brakes

So there it is for Toyota, Ford, Dodge and GM new trucks. What's left, the Honda Ridgeline? Anybody own one and, if so, how's it treated you?

I've been a car person my entire life, and for the last 20 years the Accord has treated us great, so I definitely do not want to deal with issues like the above. Many, many comments I've read so far are from new truck owners who have owned trucks their entire lives and now are sorry they sold the old truck.

Alberta is a kind province to trucks because very little salt is used on roads. Our Accord still looks great underneath. Therefore, it looks to me like maybe a late-90's GMC, or maybe Ford, or maybe even Ram, gas or maybe even diesel, but I'll have to dig deeper on their reliability.

Whatever it ends up being, if we actually go the "old" truck route, I'll put it on a lift and nspect the heck out of it for signs of irreparable rusty frame and body. Everything else can be replaced with new or rebuilt. For an engine (say a rebuilt, reliable 350) plus rebuilt 4x4 trans, that would cost maybe a few thousand; and for brakes, suspension, etc. some hours of DIY, but we'd end up with a reliable vehicle.

I'd appreciate any more comments from truck owners, or people who know truck owners, etc.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:30 PM

Well, more research. The Nissan Titan crew cab looks like it might be the ticket. Good room and, most importantly, no serious rust or reliability issues. Just for "fun", I'm going to sit in one this afternoon.

Any Titan owners out there and, if so, what's your experience with it?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Administrator
Talking

My sister in law has had one for a couple of years and she loves it. She works road construction up in the mountains of PA and goes to her job site which are off the rods..she says it gets the job done for here..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Are new trucks all "rust buckets"?-jumpin%7E133.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks, Wheel.

Hey, it's just hit me that those things are expensive, even a low-mile '07.

Let's see, how many repairs can I do to our 92 for $25,000?

Last edited by Tony1M; 01-01-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelllllling
Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM

New trucks are expensive and usually used one s are traded because something major is wrong with them,If your happy with hondas get another on but look at the pilots and ridge line ,, I know in most states trucks need a commercial plate ,more cost

Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Well, today I sat in a 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax, a 2011 Nissan Titan crew cab and, because the Nissan was at a Dodge dealer, a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Megacab.

Surprisingly, the legroom in the Toy was the best and the Ram a close second, with the Nissan third.

The rear legroom in the Toy was better than 99% of most cars, probably even more than our LS430. The thing is more like a car with a huge passenger compartment and short truck bed than REAL truck like the Ram, which was H. U. G. E. and had a huge price.

The Nissan is now off my already-short list because I'm just not comforatble enough behind the wheel and the Toy and Ram are just too potentially reliability-challenged for a person like me who demands reliability.

Anyway, if you want to sit in a truck with an incredibly spacious interior, take a look at that Toy Crewmax. You'll be amazed. It would even make a very nice taxicab.

Oh, speaking of large pickup trucks, this dealer had for sale a red Ford F-650 diesel truck. You want big, this is the truck for you.

Attached Thumbnails Are new trucks all "rust buckets"?-ford_f650_01.jpg  

Last edited by Tony1M; 01-03-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:46 AM

Hi guys,

just to add a little bit on this topic as I am a 4x4 owner too

I have been driving a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5TD MK2 LWB for the past 2 years. It was imported from Japan back in 1992. yes a good old truck!

As far as rust is concerned, I honestly cannot find a single spot of rust under the body! what I have been doing is to get the used engine oil and brush it all over the chassis (just avoid bushes and rubbers)

I gave it a mini service (engine oil and filter) every three to four months.

I do all works on it myself, it's my toy and hobby if you like.

comfort wise, it is one of the most comfortable truck I've ever driven. It has winter pack: Dual batteries, and all the inside gadget that the technology was allowing back in 1992 (heated seats, air con, and the lot)

I take it for mild laning every now and then, as per pics below:

Guys, we use lots of salt on the roads and that's why our trucks get rusty very quickly. But if you are on top of the game, and use either old engine oil or waxolynne or similar, you can beat the rust at earlier stages.

This is after a mild off roading, organized by jap4x4ownersclub.co.uk

one day, I challenged a friend of mine with his Porsche Cayenne, so he took the challenge and decided to join us, very brave of him, considering, his truck is 2010 and VERY EXPENSIVE (ok, he had auto suspension left)

as you can see, my truck as no modification whatsoever, but still climbs to where I take it

All in all, keep on top of services and you should be fine.

4x4 are high maintenance trucks and you got to be on top of the game, if you are good with spanners then you save yourself a FORTUNE!

e.g the other day, after a small run, I popped up the bonnet to see if everything is good. to my surprise, the top radiator hose was under pressure, and soon I found out that the radiator cap was sticking. Easy cure, get the right rad cap and problem solved. Had I neglected it, it would have (eventually) cost me a head gasket!

So my advice, get a truck that you fancy, but know it first, get the spanners out and be ready for any challenge.

Old trucks were nice and simple, new ones have lots of sensors and gadgets, not my cup of tea.

I am not saying my truck has been trouble free, it has given me some trouble, but I have quickly learned how to deal with it and done the work etc.

this is a UK version of Pajero, V6 Shogun Petrol again an old truck 1991
with a few mods here and there

Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Talking These Are Some Serious Trucking Off Road People **

Thank you for the awesome pictures and thank you for telling us about them..were glad to have you in our forums..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are new trucks all "rust buckets"?