Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

What did you do to your Honda today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default What did you do to your Honda today?

I thought this might be a fun thread ... post whatever you did to your Honda Accord today or recently. Include pics when you can.

====

Yesterday I replaced the thermostat and lower radiator hose.

The car has 240k miles on it and I don't think these have ever been changed. The upper hose burst a couple of months ago leading to a leaky water pump and a $900 front end job (timing belt, pump, pulleys, seals). I saved a hundred bucks or so by deferring the thermostat replacement until I could do it myself. And when replaced the thermostat I also replaced the lower hose as a preventative measure.

I purchased the parts from Curry Acura/Honda ... good online prices, and cheaper shipping than most.

One note on replacing the lower hose ... that bottom spring clip is really hard to get to, so I had to remove the top radiator mounting brackets and lift up the radiator a couple of inches in order to get to it.

All is well now and I feel good that the cooling system has been "refreshed", ready for another 240k!

Last edited by jkowtko; 05-19-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:31 AM

Today I will flush out my power steering fluid and make a video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmB...q6yufe4E3A0gMA

Old 05-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have any Hondas anymore, neither do a lot of the mods.

I did pay a mechanic to do some work on my V70R and RX7. I hate being in Afghanistan and having to pay people to work on my cars to do work I could have easily done myself.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

"Rice"-What did you have done?

Me, had all kinds of fun yesterday.....I'll keep it to just the cars.

89 LXi - oil change

96 Volvo - oil change.....Rice, yes I finally got around to it.

01 Saab - oil change and cabin air filter. Can't belive where they put the cabin air filter.

07 Pilot - oil change and cabin air filter. I hate that one lower bolt on the glove box, it is so close the pass fuse panel I can never get that thing "started". I spend ~20 min messing with that one bolt.

That doesn't include the other stuff I check when playing with them (air pressures, other fluid levels, ect).

And yes, next weekend when I take my garbage to the dump I will spend 15 minutes pouring all of the old oil into the recycle tank and throw the old filters in their recycle bin.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
And yes, next weekend when I take my garbage to the dump I will spend 15 minutes pouring all of the old oil into the recycle tank and throw the old filters in their recycle bin.
There are some people that buy used motor oil. They usually have a listing on craigslist

Old 05-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Well I'll start with the V70R

We had planned to get the timing belt done since it was due, not a big deal, probably something I would have paid a shop to do anyways cause its not something I really feel like doing on an engine while its in a car.

So the wife called around to a few shops, got quotes for timing belt, tensioner and pulley(volvo recommends the water pump is replaced every other timing belt).

Get a quote for $385 or something like that. Sounds pretty good I tell her to go ahead and book it. They do it, and say its ready, and when she asks they say they only replaced the belt and not the tensioner and pulley. Well the tensioner is far more likely to fail than the belt itself, so after some negotiating and $60 dollars they go back and replace those.

There was a vibration with the car, and the steering was a little stiff, so we had asked them to look into those. The steering they said was the ujoint where the column meets the rack, not expensive, so not a big deal.

Then the real mind blower, they said the vibration was a bent driveshaft. Which blew my mind, because I wasn't even sure how a driveshaft could get bent. And a new driveshaft from volvo is $800.

They also said 2 of the struts were bad.

After the timing belt fiasco and how they quoted with tensioner and pulley then said they didnt. So I decided to have the wife take it to another shop and get a second opinion. As I wasn't going to drop $800+ labor on a driveshaft that didnt make sense to me.

Well the new shop said the driveshaft is fine, its just a worn wheel bearing causing the vibration. Also that the struts are fine, and they just lubed up the u joint and its good to go. So learned that the one shop sucks.

The RX7 I had one of my friends take and look over for me. It had a vacuum leak that he was able to find and fix, do an oil change, fix a coolant leak. I bought a stand alone ECU for it that was supposed to come with a good tune, but apparently didn't. So trying to set up a time for him to take it to the dyno.

Sorry that was so long, been a crazy week with car maintenance lol.

Sounds like you had quite the day with cars too. A little more successful and less expensive though.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexomaAccord
There are some people that buy used motor oil. They usually have a listing on craigslist

Really? I would have never thought someone would do that. I've got about 5 gal of it now

Last edited by poorman212; 05-04-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Dang Rice....that sucks but it sounds like it worked out in the end.

It seems vac leaks are running wild these days .....even though I caused the one on the volvo - still have no idea how I did that one, I've got a long shot idea but still will never know.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Really? I would have never thought someone would do that. I've got about 5 gal of it now
Some of the guys that buy it, if you have enough repeat business, with lots of oil, will even bring you a barrel to put it in and they can just pick the full ones up and leave you an empty one until next time.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:40 PM

Today I flushed the power steering and learned that even though the jug is empty, the pump and lines still hold a lot of fluid....

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Honda today?-vlcsnap-2014-05-05-12h36m10s68.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Honda today?