Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Who are you guys?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 AM
Default Who are you guys?

Let me tell you something. in my workplace and home HAF forum window is always on. i read each and every new thread and pull my hair why i cant response or help someone else.

leaving moderators and super moderators aside, even, members provides some critical solution such a way that they must have designed the car. Mods/Sup-Mods they gives every tiny detail solution like tiny component inside complex engine, every fault type and their possible solution even electrical troubleshooting.

with great respect can i ask you guys, how do you know every single bit of a car or problem? what you do for living?

Mod, are you feeling interested to move my thread from Tech help to somewhere else? before doing that, i need know know about these exceptionally talented guys. who are they and how they know possibly everything !!!!!

Last edited by mortuzahasan; 10-23-2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

I think everybody's story will be a little different.

For me, when I was younger I never had enough money to pay someone else to fix my car. And whenever I have to fix my cars my mind is always trying to figure out WHY it was designed that way. Always trying to understand WHY something happened.

One of the other mods has a perfect quote in his signature. Something about one mechanic saying it's broke while the other is wondering WHY did it break?

Old 10-23-2014, 05:42 PM

Thanks Jim, great to know your approach of knowing things. long time ago i went to buy an old car. it had DVD player on it, so when i went there for inspection, he always turned on the DVD. was very impressive and didnt know anything about car mechanical or electrical problems. now having an old car with too many problems and reading threads i learnt a lot compared to my situation three years ago.
Hoping to learn the stories of other moderators.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

About the same here for me.

Jim - I think that was "hondadude" with the quote.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I first crawled under a car w/ my dad at a very young age. He impressed me w/ his ability to coax more life out of our tired cars. His creative repairs led me to pursue engineering as a career and auto repair as a hobby.

good luck

Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 PM

Thanks Poorman and Texas, Glad to know your story.

Reading the thread i guess Texas is electrical Engineer as you are prompt with electrical failure solution along with sound knowledge of mechanical. Redbull also has great electrical knowledge. as i am in the same profession, any electrical failure is easy to solve for me with service manual.

i guess it gives you guys a great feeling when you solve (advise solution) to any problem. i see you guys spent a lot of time helping others. helping other people without any personal benefit, there's no word to praise this. when something breaks down in car, it makes the head drive crazy and people expect solution. when this is fixed no one remembers the effort you guys put.

Hats off to you and all the people!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:39 PM

i have one more question. as Honda is my first car and i had so many problems. people says (in Australia) Honda, is a s**t box compared to other Japanese car e.g. toyota. Based of your personal experience would you put Honda in top of other cars or just Average?

Old 10-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

The benefit of doing this is the ego-trip we get when someone says "you're right, that fixed it". When I fix my own car my wife says "why did it take you so long?"
(well, just kidding)

I don't think there's anything supernatural about Honda or any others. Some people say they last forever, but I think you can make anything last forever if you have the motivation to keep it going. For ANY make of car you can find a small group of lunatics that will do anything to keep them running. OTOH Hondas (& Toyotas & Saabs) will start blowing oil & fall apart if you don't take care of it.

Sometimes preference is about the driving experience, not always about how "durable" the car is.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

I think Honda, like all manufactures isn't what it used to be in terms of reliability. The advancement of technology has made cars far more complicated. And more complicated means more things to break and more things that are harder to fix.

But as far as honda being better or worse than Toyota or Nissan I'd say it's personal preference.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Honda and Toyota are both very reliable and have different strengths and weaknesses. I don't think you can go too wrong w/ either brand. I personally favor Hondas slighty, but my last purchase was a 05 Matrix for my daughter.

I love Toyota's rugged engines and mechanical/electrical systems that seem to run forever, but don't like their cheap, thin carpets and body/interior trim pieces. Honda makes great engines and great bodies, but their electrical reliability could be better. They have had problems w/ Main Fuel Relays for over 20 yrs before improving them finally in the 2003-2007 series. They could not find a fix for a problematic relay that disables the car!

regards

Quick Reply: Who are you guys?