Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here!

Living in Buffalo is an Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Almost A Senior Member

It's been nasty the past 3-4 days, 8 degrees and 35mph winds.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Dang man.....it is like 25~30 here and I think I'm going to die. There is no way I could handle that kind of conditions.....yes, it is well documented that I can't take cold temps.

Stay warm and I hope you don't get snowed in for too long.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Dang man.....it is like 25~30 here and I think I'm going to die. There is no way I could handle that kind of conditions.....yes, it is well documented that I can't take cold temps.

Stay warm and I hope you don't get snowed in for too long.
It's bright and sunny and up to 20°F here in New Hamster; time for a run in tee-shirt and shorts.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hit 14 in fayetteville last week. Unacceptable. Especially when the army dictates what you can wear.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:30 PM

I always thought an adventure was fun. So it must be fun to live in Buffalo?!

While winter came early here, it hasn't been too bad yet, snow wise. I'm pleased with how the Accord has performed in the winter. Does well in the snow. Last car was so bad I had to buy snow tires. On the -20 days, it rode like it was warm out. Also no squeaks or rattles at those temps!

Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corvair
I always thought an adventure was fun. So it must be fun to live in Buffalo?!
Last car was so bad I had to buy snow tires.
It's great around here if you are a skiier. There are a couples of places within 30-45 minute drive. Plus if the kids sled, there is a great park right in my town with about 400' vertical for the kiddos.
It's 32 degrees today.

I got snow tires on steel rims for my Accord, from the Craig's list. $150 I got a deal. General Altimax Arctic.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

OK, I give. This is the point I'd rather have snow....only a few inches.

They are talking a .10 or more of ice tonight/tomorrow am....ice brings down trees and power line a whole lot more than snow.

I think I've done my prep work. Firewood in the fireplace ready to light with a bit more in the garage, enough to get it going and if I have to go outside the "current" fire will be enought to melt and dry the wood.

Next, enough water for this and that. I'm on a well system so no power = no water.

MOST important, found my little power inverter to be able to run the coffee pot

Last, kicking the snot out of myself.....I've been looking and thinking about a "whole house power back up system" and didn't/haven't done it. I swear if the power goes out for more than a few hours.....I'll be scheduling that by the end of the week. Won't help me now but I'll never have to worry about it again.

Even if I do make it thru this with power, I've got another "distribution" coming in July. I need to pull the trigger and take one less "stress point" out of my life.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

I cheated when I put in a "whole house power back up system"; I bought a portable generator typically used for construction site work for under $1,000, then I rerouted my 240V dryer circuit from the laundry room to the garage (with a long enough cord to reach under the garage door to the spot where I would park the generator). When the power would go out I'd go down to the basement, click off the 200A service from the street, click on the 240V circuit breaker for the "dryer" circuit, and fire off the generator. Given 240V circuits feed both sides of the panel, my whole house would come right up; the only things I couldn't run were the A/C compressors, electric oven and for some reason the dishwasher. That said, my well pump, which was over 1,000' deep and had a 3/4 HP motor ran perfectly, ummm, well.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

First, we got noting near what they thought. The cars were covered and there were only "patches" on the road so we got lucky.

I have several friends with that set up (and they have well systems). Not that they can't run the well along with this and that. I think it is the combo of the well and the electic water heater that pushes them to the limit. It can be done you just have to "manage" what you are using at one time.

Plus around here there are two seasons for the possible need. Winter with heavy/wet snow or ice. Then in the summer we can get these strange big low pressure systems (hurricanes) that can make a mess of things. I do have some old window ac units that I could use to cool in the summer....need to spec those units out to see what they "draw".

I think I'm just at the point of saying screw it and get something I don't really have to mess with/manage. I need to see what it would take to have a NG line pulled to the house, it is at the street just no line to the house. I get things in the mail that say if I "switch" some things to NG they will cover most if not all the cost. Maybe a water heater (as old as the house) and something else should cover that cost.....I'd do the HVAC unit if it wasn't only 2~3 years old.

If I did that I could get one that runs on NG and cover the "whole" house....wouldn't have to mess with filling it up with gas....getting worried about the gas going bad sitting for so long, ect.

I'm just stuck in my penny pinching ways - why I haven't done it yet and holding back on a new car....I have it ($) but since I have it I don't want to let it go. In July I get another distribution, so if I spend it before watching it in the bank for a few months it doesn't bother me that much....yes I'm screwed up in the head that way.

Last edited by poorman212; 01-14-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
If I did that I could get one that runs on NG and cover the "whole" house....wouldn't have to mess with filling it up with gas....getting worried about the gas going bad sitting for so long, etc.
There are several people that I know that went the way of the NG backup generators. Mostly older folks, or people with medical needs get them. From what I have heard, they work flawlessly. Most residences here have a Natural Gas line, so the setup would cost most $2500-$3500.
It's not in general use though, because most people here don't have the $3500 lying around for something that might not ever be needed. Probably 2%.

Quick Reply: Living in Buffalo is an Adventure