South West AZ, TX, NM, OK

The belt minder wants to die

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Default The belt minder wants to die

First, please spare me the seatbelts save lives spiel. My wife was Tboned several years ago in her BMW325 by a drunk 18 year old.....and because she wasn't wearing her seatbelt she's alive today no worse for the wear of that accident. I myself was saved when not wearing one (it's a long story, so you get the jist) Drivers should have choice in my m ind, however passengers definately need to wear one.

All that being said, I'm a driver and I'm sick of that thing this the first day I own it. I've had other vehicles, like a Lincoln Aviator that you could turn them off with a series random acts. Can that be done on my 2005 Accord EXL V6 with Navi?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 AM

in a side-impact collisions I suppose I could see how not being restrained would help survivability, but I fail to see how ignoring the only thing keeping your face from slamming into the steering wheel would be a good idea in any other kind of crash.
my father hit a freeway barrier sideways in an 06 EX V6, seatbelt saved his life.
sounds more like random chance to me. Wearing a seatbelt prevents your flailing body parts from slamming into your passengers in the event of a collision, but anything else that isn't restrained is similarly dangerous in a car.
that being said, there are leads under the seats that connect to the seatbelt buckles and (i believe) make contact when the metal prong is inserted, disabling the noise. there will be a large number of them on your car if you have any other seat options since there's the weight sensor that disables the airbag, heated seats, power seat motors, etc... but you could probably just clip the leads and solder them together.
Stay safe.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Seatbelts save lives so I can't believe you'd say that no matter what..I hope they save lives in your car if you ever hae another crash and you have children riding with you..have seen kids thrown out of cars that weren't wearing seat belts restraints..Sorry But ..seat belts do save lives my friend..

Old 06-29-2013, 10:27 AM

Look, I get those of you who believe in without fail the seatbelt. I really do. But I've personally been on both sides of the fence, and quite frankly I find that the driver not wearing one is a better option for me. Perhaps it isn't for others, however I personally believe that the choice is that of the driver, and not some politician or NHSTA employee who thinks they know better than an individual as to what's best for oneself. If you really wanted to delve deeply into, I'd aim you in the direction of the number of states that can't even stop you only for a seatbelt violation, it can only be added to citations that arise from other traffic violations. Or that in many states, the vehicle is considered an extension of your home, and you don't have to have a carry permit to keep a gun in there. If the car is that protected, then how is it that someone can tell me I have to use a safety device I don't personally believe in the use of? (Not to mention front and side impact air bags protect the driver) However, I'm not here for that discussion. I ended up using a small allen key to engauge the mechanism without putting the belt into it.

Now, As to wheelbrokerAng--Let me ask you this. What do you base that info on? NHTSA statistics that they publish? Do you think they are smart enough to determine that person A was killed b/c they weren't wearing a setbelt, and can so prove without a doubt that if they had it on they would have survived? Because they can't. Do you think they keep statistics of those who have died wearing a seatbelt, or even those who have died as a direct result of having had a seatbelt on? Of course not, that would be counter productive to what they want, so they wouldn't even dream of gathering or releasing that kind of data. As I stated in my first post though, I am talking about me as the driver of the car. As a passenger, I wear it. All other passengers when I'm driving wear them. As someone who has experienced what could have caused death had I been wearing one, i gained a new perspective. You walk away from a drivers side TBONE by exiting the passenger door, then go back and look at the drivers seat that is now less than 6 inches wide with metal sticking through it six ways to Sunday and ask yourself, is the chance that it could save me of more value that the chance that it could kill me? It's hard to fathom the question, until you were the one in that seat right before it was demolished by an idiot driver. I made my choice. If it kills me later, then so be it. But at the end of the day, my life was saved (as well as my wifes in a similar event) by not having it on and quite frankly, I'll take my chances with what has worked for me so far. It's hard to see it that way, until you experience it (which I hope none of you ever do)

Old 07-01-2013, 03:24 AM

Some personal anecdotes:
My friend Remi flipped his Si on Vashon Island, rolled down an embankment and was trapped by his seatbelt. If he hadn't worn it, his face would have slammed into the roof, most likely breaking his neck. He had a seatbelt cutter, cut the belt, crawled out through the passenger side window, and walked to the nearest phone. (on vashon, 5 or 6 miles away).
Another:
My friend Mica crashed this Subaru

and all four passengers were fine, were wearing seatbelts, and walked away without a scratch. the inertia of your body travelling at 100+ mph is much much greater than the breaking strength of your bones, and if he were not restrained, the very smallest injury that he would have sustained would have been shattering every bone in his face.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM

Trust me, I've seen some of the worst. A friend of mine owns a towing and recovery service. They've towed for several local PD's, and I've personally inspected the aftermath of several vehicles that have killed multitudes of people. We had one many years back in Gwinnett county, where 6 teens I believe it was were killed in a van. I stood there looking at the wreckage, wondering how it is I have lived through some of the things I did and why those kids died. But, at the end of the day, I make my decisions based on what has happened to me. Be it luck, fortune, or the simple grace of god, it has thus far worked for me. Maybe one day it won't, maybe it always will.