Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

knuckle on 94 accord lx sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation knuckle on 94 accord lx sedan

I had replace passenger side knuckle and torque spec the nuts, now the whole wheel is looses when I pull back and forth ? It seems it's still loose from the upper knuckle by the upper ball joint , did I do somthing wrong ? Please help I don't want to take it to a machanic

Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'd start by holding each movable joint (balljoint or hinge, etc) when shaking. You're trying to feel for the exact location where the looseness is located.

Taper stud of the upper balljoint not properly seated in the tapered hole in the knuckle?

Hinges at the inboard end of the upper control arm not bolted tight?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I'd start by holding each movable joint (balljoint or hinge, etc) when shaking. You're trying to feel for the exact location where the looseness is located.

Taper stud of the upper balljoint not properly seated in the tapered hole in the knuckle?

Hinges at the inboard end of the upper control arm not bolted tight?
Thank u! I will deffenatly check the upper ball joint where it It's suppose to be seated and find the source, how do I make sure it's compressed down ? Is there a special tool?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

The spring forces aren't transmitted across the upper balljoint like they are across the lower. So even if the car is sitting on the wheels, the upper balljoint is still not supporting any weight.

You said it's still loose at the upper control arm. Is that when the car is sitting on it's wheels? Or lifted in the air? Or both? Whenever you can feel the looseness, that's when you have to try to pinpoint the location of the looseness.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The spring forces aren't transmitted across the upper balljoint like they are across the lower. So even if the car is sitting on the wheels, the upper balljoint is still not supporting any weight.

You said it's still loose at the upper control arm. Is that when the car is sitting on it's wheels? Or lifted in the air? Or both? Whenever you can feel the looseness, that's when you have to try to pinpoint the location of the looseness.
It's loose when car is sitting on wheels and when it's in the air, I'm goin to check it this weekend and I just wana be prepeared, Thanks for the tip! I will pinpoint where it's loose , so I just re tigthen the bolt or take knuckle out ?

Old 05-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Gotta figure that out for yourself. The fix depends on exactly what you find when you check it out.

If the taper pin of the upper balljoint is incorrectly seated in the tapered hole, or it's just plain loose, then you can rearrange it properly & tighten it.

But maybe the balljoint itself is loose (the ball being loose in it's socket). That needs a new balljoint. Which might mean a new control arm because I suspect it's built in.

Or something wrong with the wheel bearing, if that's where the looseness is located.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for all the advice , I really apreciate all of youz for taking your time in reading and posting on this forum !