Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Steering issue

I'm having issues with my '97 ex sedan pulling to the right. I automatically assumed alignment problem like everyone else suggested to me but it's not. I need some other opinions. First off I had brand new winter tires put on about 2 weeks ago, everything was fine with the tires. I also had an ongoing problem with a bad upper control arm bushing (it would clunk and rattle all the time), I replaced both control arms with cheap ebay prime choice auto parts brand. I'm concerned it may be an issue with the quality of the parts since I didn't have a pull until I swapped them. I brought my car in for an alignment after the control arm swap cause I didn't want to ruin my new tires. Anyway the garage said it's a tire issue not an alignment issue but like I said there was no problem until I put the cheap ebay control arms in. The steering feels sticky, like it sticks whatever way you turn it for a few seconds but it always pulls to the right when it straightens out. I checked and rechecked everything about three times, it's all tight and no problems I can find. Car drives really smooth, no vibrations with the new tires, just the pull. Any ideas? I was thinking about getting better quality name brand control arms but I don't want to throw more money at it for new control arms if it's not that. I'm at a dead end, it's my only vehicle and I don't have any time to leave it torn apart. I'm a delivery driver so going without a vehicle is not an option, thanks guys.

Last edited by neo31ny; 01-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to move this over to the suspension forum, but meantime here's a couple thoughts...

I think the camber spec has a pretty wide tolerance. But you might be able to convince the alignment shop to make the camber nearly equal from side-to-side. For example -0.9 on one side & +0.9 on the other side might be technically acceptable but you'd rather have them match each other.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I'm going to move this over to the suspension forum, but meantime here's a couple thoughts...

I think the camber spec has a pretty wide tolerance. But you might be able to convince the alignment shop to make the camber nearly equal from side-to-side. For example -0.9 on one side & +0.9 on the other side might be technically acceptable but you'd rather have them match each other.
I apologize for posting in the wrong section. I honestly don't know much at all about alignment, I do almost all my own work except that. I was told to get a printout, which I wasn't aware of at the time. I've never had many alignment issues with all the cars I've ever owned. I don't trust garages to do work on my vehicles and actually do it right...they told me it was a tire issue. I may try new name brand control arms and see. Thanks for the reply. I read online and it says to lower the car and rock it back and forth to settle the suspension before tightening the nuts fully but on a youtube video they tighten everything in the air. I did control arms on my old civic before with no problems like this.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Some bushings, like inboard end of the lower control arms, don't actually pivot. Instead the rubber flexes when the arms hinge up & down. So in a way that rubber bushing acts as another "spring" of sorts. You want the rubber to be in a relaxed position when the suspension is at rest.