Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

VSA or NO VSA

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Cheif
Unregistered
Default VSA or NO VSA

Hi Folks,

New here. Had a 93 Accord SE 2dr. It was the car I wish I never got rid of. Bose, Spoiler, sun/moonroof, leather. It drove like a charm.

Anyway now we are looking at cars for my wife. The accord is a number one consideration.

We've test driven the EX V6 and a comparable I4. I thought the 6 felt a little sluggish compared to the 93 4 cyl. According to MSN auto, the 6 and 4 are very close in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. When I drove the new Inline 4 I thought it just felt a lot better than the 6. More nimble, revved quicker, felt quicker. Am I nuts????

My wife is concerned about the VSA (vehicle stability assist) that is only available with the 6 cylinder. I think 2 or even 4 snow tires over a 3 month winter will more than suffice. No country driving. We've owned all wheel drive vehicles when we lived rural. I also have a 4wd truck she will use when she wants to. I don't use it for work and she is willing to drive it. It's an '04 Nissan Titan.

What are your thoughts on VSA, traction control, and V6 vs inline 4?

It's an issue right now, and I'd just like some personal opinions from each side, especially regarding how well the Accord performs in snow. (with or without snow tires) It is her main concern.

Sorry to make this as a first post, but I really need a little help!!!

Thanks and Great to Be Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheif

Old 07-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Default RE: VSA or NO VSA

Hey there, and welcome to the forums!

What year V6 wear you comparing it to? Had to have been a newer one if were talking VSA. I know the older 2.8 V6's were on the lazy side. I think they were slower than the 2 dr 4 cyl of the same year (96 if I'm not mistaken).

The newer V6's have stepped it up. The 4 cylinders have improved too, but the V6's aren't exactly lazy anymore (3.0 litre). Also, the loaded ex weighs more than the "lesser" accords. That could definetly influence the agility factor. And I'm sure the EX's suspension has been tuned for a smooth ride.

I almost think the front wheel drive arrangement of the accord would lend itself to good snow driving, but take that with a grain of road salt since I live in south florida.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:28 AM

New V6 is powerful. I got the V4 due to financial restrictions and gas prices. Suggest test driving both of them on the same day just for comparison purposes. Front wheel drive and investing in snow ties should be more than enough for the winter.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

LX V6 is the fastest accord of any generation. the 5th gen V6 was more for refinement alhough it was just as quick as the I4 with a 5 spd. 1998 onwards the V6 pretty much owns all of the i4 models get on the hwy and it is game over for the stock I4 versus V6

Old 07-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Cheif
Unregistered

Thanks for the responses!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome MBO. I've driven 2 '06 models. Both EX. Both with leather and auto. One V6, one 4cyl. The 6 is about 200 lbs heavier. I know to take posted times with a grain of salt, but since I don't have time slips I'm using them as a guideline.

They are almost identical, as close as I could possibly get anyway, except for the engine, 16 vs 17 inch rims, 50 vs 60 series tires, and vehicle dynamic assist.

compared times sedan ex v6 vs sedan, they are not trim specific;

0-60 7.8/7.91
1/4 mile 15.88/16.22

I know the times will vary in real life. We both noticed the ride difference so I agree with the ride tuning of the v6. My wife thought the v6 rode better, I thought the 4 rode better. You know 'better' just means 2 different things between us. Handling vs Comfort

With the agility of the 4, and how close it comes to the 6 in off the line short distance performance, I'm vying for the 4. It lists for about 2300 dollars less and will pound out the mpg. I not knocking the V6 guys, I just think the 4 would be more fun to drive for myself. In the end my wife will have the choice, it's her car and she has to like it, not me Well at least I should be glad that she feels the difference I guess. She keeps saying the 6 just had a much better feel than the 4. It IS noticeably smoother.

dmolina, We plan on getting both side by side and driving them. One of the dealers has a ton of stock so we should be able to compare. Thanks!!!

YeuEmMaiMai, Thanks also. I haven't had either on the hwy, but I'm telling myself the 6 must shine out there. With 78 more hp and 51 more ft/lbs of torque, it must be outshining the 4.

I'm also really hoping we end up with an Accord. We test drove the Outback Limited, the performance really stunk. No surprise, but it has nothing on the Honda besides AWD. We've owned 2 Subaru, I put 4 snow tires on both and it was like being on dry pavement, however they are WAY overpriced, underpowered etc. (I'm not talking about the STI ) She is also looking at Volkswagon, Saab, Volvo AWD cars. I'd rather not go there.

Does anyone drive in snowy regions with snow tires? I'm very interested in how much difference the VDA will make. (only available on the V6) Being able to brake on a single wheel and cut power to one wheel is something a driver can't do on their own, and I'm sure it could save you from an accident when it counts, but we've both driven in snow all our lives and I think we could easily do without it, being in the valley/city. I'd really like to hear some comments on snow driving either with or without VDA if anyone has them.

Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!

Cheif

Old 07-14-2006, 06:46 PM

Yeah, some people don't like the 4's but hondas make some very decent 4 cyl motors. They are pretty peppy rev happy motors. And you brought up an excellent point with the weight. You'll definetly feel the weight of that v6 up there when it comes to handling.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

having both a I4 and V6 accord, I can say hands down (even with the fubar trans) the V6 owns

Accelleration: V6 is OK around down put when you put your foot into it and the tach reaches 4K it is game over above 40Mph V6 just owns in terms of power with the 6th gen the extra 50 ponies definately makes it's self known. For the 7th gen the extra 78 poinies just man handles the I4

Qiuet: V6 barely lets out a growl even under WOT. I4 under WOT you know its working it's rear off (sounds like angry hornets) Drive an I4 on the highway and then drive a V6 and you will definately know which one is less noisey

Fuel economy:

CITY
I4 owns you literally in city driving. My 1994 gets 26 in the city and 1998 gets 22-23

HIGHWAY
Stricly highwasy driving I get 33.7MPG with V6 at 78 with air on versus 34.5 at 80 with air on my I4

MIXED
In my car I get an average of 26 with my V6 on 40/60 and about 29 in my I4 on the same driving.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Cheif
Unregistered

Thanks for all the Info YeuEmMaiMai, much appreciated.

It sounds like you favor the V6. Is it more fun to drive overall than the I4?

Also could you tell me what the problem(s) were/are with the V6 trans? Is this a common issue with this trans? Has Honda addressed and/or resolved it? I don't hear much about any problems with the Accord. Are there any other common issues?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheif