Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Best All Season Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Default Best All Season Tires?

I'm trying to look for the best all season tires, for the size: 205/65-15

I've been told these:

http://www./infogoodyearassurancetri...ripletred.html

...are the best, but I wanted a second opinion from you guys.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

There's no "BEST", it all depends on your goals. Want stickier tires for cornering? Those generally wear out faster and can be pretty pathetic in snow. So what's important TO YOU?

long treadlife?
stronger cornering?
low friction (MPG)?
halfway-acceptable traction in snow?

You aren't gonna get ALL of those so you have to choose.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:24 AM
vroc
Unregistered

Hey I'm new on here and am also in the market for new tires. I live in Ohio and would prefer something that's going to be good in the snow and wet weather, but yet quiet on the road.

Maybe some feed back on what everyone prefers or what they like or don't like and why. I drive an 07 SE V6 with 17" tires.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

I'm in Ohio too. Unfortunately, I've found that the tires that come in 17" low-profile sizes are usually not so good in the snow. Kinda almost tolerable maybe, but not GOOD in the snow.

I use snow tires on their own rims so I change them over at almost the last minute in my own garage. (Cause I have enough space to store the other set...)

In the past I have used all-season tires in the narrower base-car size, which might be 15" or 16" for your car. Kinda depends on where in Ohio - Snowbelt? Flat or hilly?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 AM
vroc
Unregistered

Hey Jim, I live in Toledo and it's pretty much flat. I've been doing some research and it seems like you pretty much get what you pay for. I'm leaning toward the Michelin brand.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Arrow In My Opinion

I have michlin MX4's on one of my import cars and they have always been quiet, good traction and have gotten great mileage out of them..pricy..but who cares.

Safety and quality is Primo...not how much .

Old 11-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

I think when the question is specifically about snow traction, high price doesn't automatically mean anything. Like I said, the low-profile 17" high-performance tires are expensive, but generally NOT good in snow.

There are exceptions, but it seems like the less-high-performance, less-sporty, types of tires can be better in snow. One reason is for snow traction you want narrower tread. For dry high-performance you want wide, so that works against each other.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:04 PM

if you're talking "the best," I'd go with the michelin pilot sport A/S plus. it's a very high quality, high performance tire made for dry, wet, and some moderate snow. And, its got a
AA A 500 Treadwear Rating!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Administrator
Exclamation

Those are also good tires, Michelins are very good tires

Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Default Fine words Ang!

unfortunately, i did a bit more research and found that the specific michelin about which i was talkin, is not made in your size...so, i think this is next best.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....6&autoModClar=

make sure when you research a tire, look at the UTQG ratings for traction and temperature. In my opinion the temp measurement should always be A but the traction can vary depending on the tire.
e.g....the test is done on a specific type of wet concrete. so, a slick race tire would probably get a C or even a D, whereas the contiprocontact would get a AA, however, the dry is a different story.

In your case, tho, the wet is wat you're looking for, so any tire you get should have that AA rating IMHO.

Quick Reply: Best All Season Tires?