Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

NEED HELP! Proper rim and tires for future drop (2003 Accord coupe ex v6)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Default NEED HELP! Proper rim and tires for future drop (2003 Accord coupe ex v6)

Hello, I have several questions and I am stuck in a big problem. I just bought new tires for my 7th Gen Accord Coupe v6. The old tires I had on my 18" rims were 235/35/18 (Hated the low profiles). I decided to up the size and buy new Nexens at 245/45/18. I do plan on lowering my car this spring. But, my problem is I just got the new tires on yesterday, and the rears rub on my wheel wells when I hit a bump. I have researched and found people that have dropped the same car some with the same 245/45 tire size and not had any rubbing. What I am confused on, is I dont know what the issue could be of why they are rubbing.

Should I drop down to a 240/45/18?

Does my current Aftermarket rims not match the correct offset to lower? (40.00mm offset)

Do I just keep the tires and get my fenders rolled?

Please help, like I said. I'd like to lower my car this season. But, I dont want to spend a lot of money only to have my tires rub. Anyone have a complete set up of their specs that has lowered their car? ex: Offset, rim model, tire specs, coilver brand, etc. Please help! Thanks !

Old 04-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Talking

Hello New Member

I just moved this to this correct forum where you are now reading this..

Welcome

Attached Thumbnails NEED HELP! Proper rim and tires for future drop (2003 Accord coupe ex v6)-headbang_pc.gif  
Old 04-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dougiefresh
Hello, I have several questions and I am stuck in a big problem. I just bought new tires for my 7th Gen Accord Coupe v6. The old tires I had on my 18" rims were 235/35/18 (Hated the low profiles). I decided to up the size and buy new Nexens at 245/45/18. I do plan on lowering my car this spring. But, my problem is I just got the new tires on yesterday, and the rears rub on my wheel wells when I hit a bump. I have researched and found people that have dropped the same car some with the same 245/45 tire size and not had any rubbing. What I am confused on, is I dont know what the issue could be of why they are rubbing.

Should I drop down to a 240/45/18?

Does my current Aftermarket rims not match the correct offset to lower? (40.00mm offset)

Do I just keep the tires and get my fenders rolled?

Please help, like I said. I'd like to lower my car this season. But, I dont want to spend a lot of money only to have my tires rub. Anyone have a complete set up of their specs that has lowered their car? ex: Offset, rim model, tire specs, coilver brand, etc. Please help! Thanks !
Several comments:
  • Both tire sized you mentioned are incorrect for your car and will induce speedometer and odometer error.
  • The stock wheel size for your car was 16" and the stock tire was 205/60 R16 which equates to an overall wheel/tire diameter of 25.7".
  • The 235/35 R18 tires were too short in that their diameter was 24.5", and that in turn means that your wheel gap was over a half of an inch wider than stock and your speedometer registered higher than your actual speed and your odometer logged more miles than you actually drove.
  • The 245/45 R18 tires go too far in the other direction in that they are too tall; your fender gap is now almost exactly a half of an inch less than stock and your tires are well over an inch wider than stock, hence the rubbing. That and your speedometer is now registering a slower speed than you're driving and your odometer is registering fewer miles than driven.
  • My recommendation would be to drop to down to a 17" wheel and mount a set of 225/50 R17s on them. Doing this will correct your instrumentation, give you a taller sidewall for pot hole tolerance and such, provide good handling, and give you some room to drop the car a bit.
  • If you're wedded to the 18" wheels, then you might want to consider a set of 225/45 R18s; they too will put your instrumentation back in order, however, because the wheels are probably pretty wide, you may still encounter some rubbing if you drop the car.