Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Very tall 92 Accord lugnuts?

Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Question Very tall 92 Accord lugnuts?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, I hope this isn't too stupid of a question...

I like my old 92 Accord LX and keep it in great shape, but the original plastic hubcaps are too old and need replacing. I tried buying a couple of replacement wheel cover sets (one from AutoZone, one from Walmart) but in both cases, my existing lugnuts stand too tall to fit the hubcaps over them. (If you get one side of the hubcap on, the other side sticks out too much.) The lugnuts stand about 1.25 inches tall from the point where they meet the wheel. They are chrome plated and have some sort of rubber ring about a quarter inch up from where the thread ends.

What's the story here. Do I really have to buy new, cheap, short lugnuts just to put on some new hubcaps? Or am I missing something.

I also wonder if I could simply get a set of the metal hubcaps that I think came with 1992 Accord EXs. (I have an LX.) Maybe junkyards will have them. But I'm not sure they were really standard for EXs.

Any help appreciated. It's sort of a hard question to google. I also asked on Reddit but didn't get a response. As you can see, I am no mechanic. I'm probably using terms wrong, too. I am hoping someone can help here.

Thanks!

Last edited by OldHondaDude; 12-10-2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: explain a little more
Old 12-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If lugnuts interfere w/ hubcaps, replace them. I don't see any other practical solution. You may be able to find replacement aluminum wheels from junkyard for a bit more than hubcaps.

good luck

Old 12-15-2015, 09:14 AM

Thanks! this helps a lot.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Administrator
Talking Hi Member

Texas Honda has your answer correct..did you follow his suggestion?

Let us know the outcome.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Very tall 92 Accord lugnuts?-1_24535f_27f2f618_tn.jpg  
Old 12-23-2015, 12:16 PM

Thanks WheelBroker,

It appears that no one has any insight on why my lugnuts were they way they were. Or at least they didn't say anything if they did.

So I am assuming there isn't anything special going on. They're just lugnuts that are tall, shrug.

Therefore I have simply used an AutoZone tool to find cheap replacement lugnuts (about $2 each) that I will try for size. If they don't work, I can turn around and return them. If they do, I can turn around and get the replacement hubcap from them that I had my eye on.

I haven't done it yet, too much going on with the holidays.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 12-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

FWIW, I would speculate that tall nuts are leftover from a wheel replacement exercise. Someone pulled the aluminum wheels and reused lug nuts.

How does that help solve the problem?

good luck

Old 01-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

How about this (my guess):

The OEM lugnuts that come with steelies & plastic covers, are pretty tall. They include a plastic retainer that holds the factory plastic wheel covers onto the wheel.

You might have to get the kind of simple lugnuts that are short, and have the hole clear thru so the nuts don't extend even to the end of the studs.

Even so, I got some autozone wheel covers for winter steelies (1998 Accord) and they interfered pretty badly with the wheel disk itself. Honda wheels have a fairly large offset compared to other brands, so the center disk of the wheel tends to be farther outboard vs. some other car brands.