Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Appearance (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/appearance-9/)
-   -   Front Air Dam (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/appearance-9/front-air-dam-55136/)

jamesweeks1983 06-04-2013 03:56 PM

Front Air Dam

upgrade or dont?

I'm not sure if my signature is updated so jftr: 1995 Honda Accord LX with auto trans.

I love this car - inherited it from my grandmother when she passed... Literally 50k miles and garage kept (i'm a little upset I dont have a garage where I live to keep it in as good of condition as it is) but I digress...

So, I found this article:
65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

... and I just bought the ScanGaugeII... My strategy is to make form follow function with a priority on performance, but in the sense of reducing fuel consumption rather than producing horsepower...

I'd love to swap out for a lean burn engine but i'd sooner buy a new insight. Currently on my list is weight reduction, cam swap, side mirrors, antennae reduction, wiper cowl, and this post - aerodynamics...

So; Air Dam, Rear Wheel Skirts/Smooth Rims, and Boat Tail - any fans? If so, any suggestions on brands, websites, DIY projects, etc. etc.

Or should I go over to the Insight forum to post hippy crap like this :rolleyes:

I'm motivated to save money on gas every day when I look at my two-year old little girl...

Thanks guys for any help.

shipo 06-04-2013 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by jamesweeks1983 (Post 323378)
upgrade or dont?

I'm not sure if my signature is updated so jftr: 1995 Honda Accord LX with auto trans.

I love this car - inherited it from my grandmother when she passed... Literally 50k miles and garage kept (i'm a little upset I dont have a garage where I live to keep it in as good of condition as it is) but I digress...

So, I found this article:
65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

... and I just bought the ScanGaugeII... My strategy is to make form follow function with a priority on performance, but in the sense of reducing fuel consumption rather than producing horsepower...

I'd love to swap out for a lean burn engine but i'd sooner buy a new insight. Currently on my list is weight reduction, cam swap, side mirrors, antennae reduction, wiper cowl, and this post - aerodynamics...

So; Air Dam, Rear Wheel Skirts/Smooth Rims, and Boat Tail - any fans? If so, any suggestions on brands, websites, DIY projects, etc. etc.

Or should I go over to the Insight forum to post hippy crap like this :rolleyes:

I'm motivated to save money on gas every day when I look at my two-year old little girl...

Thanks guys for any help.

Good luck with your project. That said, I'm betting that any changes you make will cost more than the fuel you save, errr, unless you keep the car for a couple of hundred thousand miles.

live2rice 06-04-2013 04:59 PM

I don't follow that stuff all too much, even though I'd like to.

But I own three cars that all get 17-20mpg. Would love a old insight but can't have 2 cars that only have 2 seats.

I would definitely be interested to see what kind of mpg you can get out of your car, and specifically how much each mod helps.

kayweb 06-04-2013 05:07 PM

My opinion: eco-aero mods are ugly as sin on a CD chassis.
you also will have a bear of a time finding a lean-burn engine with enough torque to move one anyhow.
- Weight reduction is simpler though, and I get 35 on a good day with no aero mods. You'll want to remove AC, and remove power steering if you've got the brawn to handle that in a parking lot. Also, I removed cruise control and my stereo deck, rear speakers, spare tire and some carpeting, windshield washer reservoir, PM me if you want tips on that.
- First aero mod you SHOULD be doing is an underbelly pan. Coroplast from Home Depot, zip tie it to the undercarriage. Significantly decreases drag.
- Then you can do the classic hellaflush thing and use baseboard molding to make an air dam. or just use coroplast for that too.
- if you really want to, remove the antenna and bondo over it, unless you're super-attached to listening to corporate drivel.
- smooth wheels are easy as well, if you don't mind them looking bad.
- inflate your tires to at least 40 psi

ps. it's auto, you're already boned on gas mileage. if you're on a higher than average mechanical level, manual swap.

jamesweeks1983 06-04-2013 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 323380)
Good luck with your project. That said, I'm betting that any changes you make will cost more than the fuel you save, errr, unless you keep the car for a couple of hundred thousand miles.

Yeah - that's obviously what I want to avoid... I wanted an insight... used they go for way cheaper than what I think this car should see for... but she's a keeper...

any calculators you know of online to help me out? I'm usually pretty fried when i come home from work... not ready to spend hours in excel...

Ciao

kayweb 06-04-2013 10:16 PM

always fill to the top of the tank, keep your receipts and use fuelly.com or https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do

jamesweeks1983 06-07-2013 12:58 PM

anyone know where to get one of these...?

something similar for 2.2l cd5 accord coupe

http://farm9.stati[IMG][/IMG]cflickr...44cd5bc2_b.jpg

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13706293810247

kayweb 06-23-2013 07:31 PM

well, since the top grille is removable you could make one yourself. Just make sure you leave the bottom grille open for the radiator. tape all the seams between the headlights, corner lamps, bumper and hood and you might see .5mpg difference.
The biggest savings come from driving style, followed by transmission, tire inflation and THEN aero. if you went super extreme with it (and you could, at the expense of looking really really silly) you could do something like this Aerocivic - Honda Civic modifications for maximum gas mileage - aerocivic.com