Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   02 Accord EX stereo upgrade (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/02-accord-ex-stereo-upgrade-42449/)

steve617 08-28-2011 02:50 PM

02 Accord EX stereo upgrade

I just bought my accord last month and would really like to improve my sound system. As for the stock system I really like the 6 cd internal changer. Just not very happy wth the sound. One option I was thinking about is adding a amp and replacing the stock 6.5 and 6x9. Did not know if it is a good idea in adding a amp or even possible with the factory system. Just did not know if that is a good route. The other option is replace the HU and speakers. Like to stay in the $300 to $400 range. thanks inadvance for guidance.

One advantage in replacing the HU I would get a front panel 3.5. However would loose the changer again thanks

keep_hope_alive 08-29-2011 10:18 PM

sure dude, what you can do is limitless. see my build log for ideas (link in sig). i ran the factory HU back to an AudioControl EQL (which provided the high level input adapter) then fed signal to an xtant 403A. the xtant ran front components, rear speakers, and a sub. it sounded great.

i have also identified where you get a remote turn-on from our factory radios. you just need to add a pin to the harness (or buy the Metra 71-1721 and 70-1721 to intercept wiring).

you can get an entry level amp for about $200 new, but buying a 4 channel amp used is your best bet. $100 4-channel used amps are easy to find. stick with a name brand. then buy some decent component speakers for the front, and just woofers for the rear.

the factory system has dash tweeters, door 6.5" woofers, and rear 6x9 woofers. you don't need/want tweeters behind you, so sticking with woofers in the rear is preferred. the only tweeters you want are in the dash or apillar locations. again, my build log will give you plenty of ideas.

for speakers, if you can find a nice set of Alpine SPX-177R, you'll get a lot of tuning flexibility in the crossovers and drivers that will easily fit inside the doors. should be able to find them for around $100 used (were $450 new). there isn't a ton of mounting space, and the factory speakers are shallow. you'll want to gain some depth buy buying/building a mounting baffle. speakers with less than 2-3/4" mounting depth are your best bet. or look for shallow mounting speakers. if you buy new and buy from crutchfield - you will get mounting adapters and harnesses for free.

for rear woofers, these can deliver decent low end and their natural roll off can eliminate the need for a crossover (though one will help).
Tang Band W69-1042J 6"x9" Subwoofer

or if you buy standard coaxial 6x9, you can just disconnect the tweeters.

I just bought these to put in my front doors for midbass, but they will play a wide range and would be great woofers for a 2-way.
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...1/2-wool-cone/
they are beefy though, i think i'll need to mod the door panel to get them to fit.

keep_hope_alive 08-29-2011 10:31 PM

i just measured - the factory front speakers are a mere 1-1/2" deep (including the factory rain guard).

the speakers i have in there now are 2-1/2" deep with a 3/4" mounting baffle and several layers of deadener and a layer of foam.

steve617 08-31-2011 06:26 AM

Thanks so much for the info. Probably be more questions later. Very valiable info. Oh love the way you took advantage of the space.

keep_hope_alive 08-31-2011 08:03 PM

thanks. it's fun. the new door pods will be interesting.

steve617 09-01-2011 06:22 AM

One thing I have deacided to do is probably go with a new HU and the same Clarion EQ you have installed. As suggested probably the 6x9 subs 4 channel amp and component 6.5 and tweeter. Have much more reading on what you have done.

steve617 09-01-2011 11:01 AM

Are there any modifying for the Tang Band 6x9's to fit

keep_hope_alive 09-02-2011 07:12 AM

your plan would work well. if you get a nice enough head unit, the EQ isn't necessary.

the tang band are stupid deep. luckily, our 6x9 opening is not above the torsion bars, so depth is not a huge concern. i did not test fit the tang band in my accord, despite them sitting in boxes in my basement for a year.

you'll probably need to make a small wooden baffle, or just use some closed cell weatherstripping foam in order to get them to line up perfectly.

i'm glad my efforts have been helpful and inspiring. :)