Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   03 ACCORD AUDIO/CRUISE BACKLIGHT MOD (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/03-accord-audio-cruise-backlight-mod-13767/)

acc0rdman 11-06-2007 11:30 AM

03 ACCORD AUDIO/CRUISE BACKLIGHT MOD

Now we all know about Honda's blunder not putting in backlit controls on the steering audio and cruise controls on their 03 and 04 Accords. They have since corrected this design oversight on 2005 Accords and up. But what happens to us who own 03's and 04's??? Are we to learn braille and risk our saafety at night manipulating these controls? I heard of a Honda Master Tech in Texas on a previous post that have rectified the problem for himself...well, no one cared to share how this was done. So here's my story:

I called a local Honda dealer who was very much aware of this situation. The parts guy said there is a kit that includes the light switches for both audio & cruise controls with an accompanying wiring harness. He could not tell me if 1. just replacing the switches using the current wiring harness would light them up, or 2. if both switches and wiring harness needed to be changed, 3. if the terminal of the new wiring harness that was designed for an 05 accord would plug into our 03 and 04 accords respectively.

Next, I called the service department of the same dealership...and all dealerships in my area for that matter, if they would do the retrofit for me...the answer: NO, because Honda will not permit them to alter or modify their cars outside their original design paramaters unless it was done as a RECALL. Now there's an idea! This is a night driving safety issue, why couldn't Honda handle this as a recall and retrofit their freakin' cars to correct their mistakes?

So here's what most of the service advisors suggested...to go to a knowledgable and qualified auto electrical repair facility to have the new parts installed. They caution that they better be careful so the airbag does not deploy during the conversion. Oh my goodness!!!

So is there anyone out there that can tell me how to do this???

Thanks a million!

RTexasF 11-06-2007 01:02 PM

RE: 03 ACCORD AUDIO/CRUISE BACKLIGHT MOD

Go to page 4 of this thread, and yes the airbag can deploy so you'ld better know what you are doing. The fella that performed the swap is a Honda Master Tech and has been a Honda tech since 1981. I hardly seethe lack of backlightingas a big issue, it hasn't caused me any problems. It is desirable though I admit.

The thanks go to Princess who took the time and trouble to post all the information and take the pictures.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...wheel+controls

falkore24 11-06-2007 01:11 PM

braile!!! the buttons are smooth! can't learn where 6 buttons are? I hope that I'm not on the road when you try to change a CD!

acc0rdman 11-06-2007 01:13 PM

hey luck dragon, i came here for help not for insults--lol

smaglik 11-06-2007 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
consider yourself lucky you didnt get this.

Attachment 23295

:D

falkore24 11-06-2007 01:31 PM

ok, I appologize for the insults, but why would you go through the effort and risk blowing apart the interior of your car with the airbag to get lights on buttons that really don't need them anyway? The buttons were designed so you can feel which you are pressing and the whole idea of steering wheel controls is so you don't take your eyes off of the road. Also, what happens if you do this install and the steering wheel is lit up much more than the dash? That would be annoying as h*!! ..... or conversely that you still can't see them when lit. Anything close to the airbags are things that I won't touch.

Nice Smag, you got a new bag!!!

smaglik 11-06-2007 01:33 PM

i did. i am a proud papa...ive gotten to use it twice now!

i like the action shot...haha I found it when I looked up 'teabag' on wikipedia

falkore24 11-06-2007 01:37 PM

LOL .... you and Jon ..... new Papa's

RTexasF 11-06-2007 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: acc0rdman

hey luck dragon, i came here for help not for insults--lol
You got it......... and you're welcome.

acc0rdman 11-06-2007 05:01 PM

WoW, quick responses, what a surprise! Esp. thanks to RTex for resposting great insight on my post. In regards to the backlit buttons being too bright at night, this is not the case because i've driven a rent-a-car 07 accord, and the buttons were barely lit, just luminous enough to be seen at night. If it could be done without jeopardizing complications with airbag deployment as that Honda Master Tech has done, I would still prefer to have it...TY to all!