Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

05 Accord LX 6½" Co-Ax Install w/Poor Man's Dynamat

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I did mine tonight. I ran out of the GTMAT so I ran up to Lowe's and got a roll of the Peel and Seal. It seemed like it had lesser adhesive, but I liked working with the 6" rolls. Both front doors seem like they are nicely deadened. You can tell a big difference when you knock on them and then the rears.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ivan James
I did mine tonight. I ran out of the GTMAT so I ran up to Lowe's and got a roll of the Peel and Seal. It seemed like it had lesser adhesive, but I liked working with the 6" rolls. Both front doors seem like they are nicely deadened. You can tell a big difference when you knock on them and then the rears.
GTMAT is a better product, but YGWYPF (You Get What You Pay For). I went the cheap route, because I don't want to spend so much on one "half-step up" from the factory stereo. The Peel & Seal stuff is by NO MEANS as good as GTMAT or other such products. So I apologize for misleading anyone. BUT it is a great alternative for the budget minded installer. P&S does a great job in single layer applications, but to reproduce the effects of GTMAT type products, you need to double up the P&S.
And you're correct, there isn't as much rubber thickness, but the adhesive on P&S STICKS LIKE HELL!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

No I didn't think you were misleading at all. I was happy for the rec.

Are you up and running now and happy with the results?

Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ivan James
No I didn't think you were misleading at all. I was happy for the rec.

Are you up and running now and happy with the results?
Thanks! I am rockin' out (somewhat). The OEM stereo is lacking power, but its adequate. The tweeters in the sails (triangles) made a HUGE difference for sound stage imaging and sound quality. And the P&S made the door feel more significant. I still have to address the actual OEM stereo's issues. The left channel drops in amplitude slightly, and for no reason, returns to normal - weird. Also, the stupid backlights are all out. So I have a few issues with that still.

"Back in the day", I was used to some amazing car audio systems, but now it's not so much a priority. My system was my "business card" so I could show my handy-work and sound quality abilities. I could make money installing and selling car audio. But I'm too old and too fat to do this kind of work anymore. While doing my car recently, I realized just how difficult the work truly is! It sucks to get old, so don't do it! LOL

Last edited by GMANCRX; 08-16-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Nice. I'm 44 myself so I know what you mean about getting old lol. If you reconsider putting in a new head unit, the cubby kit option is not a bad choice. To me, it doesn't look weird at all, but I like the look of electronics. It also seems like it would be really simple to replace with the cubby and take the deck with you if you got a new car.