Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   '06 Accord MP3 Hookup (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/06-accord-mp3-hookup-7782/)

M.I. Evil 02-22-2007 09:42 PM

'06 Accord MP3 Hookup

Looking into hooking up an MP3 Playerto Stock HU (6-CD Changer). Don't really wanna go throughHonda cuz it will cost $400.Also don't wanna be forced to use only IPOD.What do I need to Hook it up?

Trav20 02-23-2007 12:30 AM

RE: '06 Accord MP3 Hookup

The one I have has a usb plug in but i never tried pluging anything other than my ipod into it.It is a Micro Transdock you just have to plug it in your cig lighter thing...heres a pic&link...Also I would put it in the Armrest/glovebox(sry I dont know what it is called "mind went blank") and feed the cord through the hole so you only have to see the cord and mp3 player because I'm assuming you are wanting this to be a permanent/cheap install and after a while that huge thing is just going to "get in the way".
http://www.dlo.com/products/tdmicro_...mmand=showpage
http://www.dlo.com/images/med/tpmicro_hero_med.jpg

M.I. Evil 02-26-2007 02:13 PM

Is the sound decent with that plug-in?

I got a quote from an audio shop for the IPOD Link, $150.00 I know that's good compared to Honda's quote of $400.00 It includes installation, sounds like a good deal. I just have to buy an IPOD.

t00fatt 02-26-2007 03:05 PM

Don't ever go with a FM transmitter if you want a quality sound. You could but an AUX interface for the stock HU, and you will be able to plug in any RCA source. Only thing is you won't be able to control the iPod from the radio, you would have to control it at the iPod. I have my stock HU and a PIE AUX interface, but the sound is quieter then the CDs or radio. I recently decided to replace my stock HU with an aftermarket Navi unit just b/c of that.

Trav20 02-27-2007 12:21 AM

It's actually not as bad as you guys say...Because if you say that then you got to say the ipod itself has bad sound quality. Honestly I'd bet you money you couldn't tell much of a difference between the two ways of pluging it in to your car...

t00fatt 02-27-2007 12:57 AM

Its not the iPod its the AUX interface, any source I plug in is like that.

smaglik 02-27-2007 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Trav20

It's actually not as bad as you guys say...Because if you say that then you got to say the ipod itself has bad sound quality. Honestly I'd bet you money you couldn't tell much of a difference between the two ways of pluging it in to your car...
I disagree whole-heartedly. The ipod itself cannot have poor sound quality, as it does not have speakers. It produces a signal.

The only way that the FM modulator will provide somewhat quality sound is if it is directly tapped into the antenna jack. I had it that way to install sirius on my 94 accord, and it wasnt bad. It was not as good as CD, but it was tolerable. My setup at the time included an amp and a sub.

There is a reason that the FM modulators are less expensive than the hardwired alternatives. There is no free lunch. If you tune in as oppose to wire it, it will not sound as good.

Trav20 02-27-2007 09:14 AM

Disagree if you like I'm just saying that I can't tell the difference between my cd's and the ipod playing in my car. Also I think the sound quality is not worth the difference in cost...you can buy the transmitter for like 1/4 of the price of a wired installation. I'm not listening to Bach and Mozart here...just listening to rock and rap...

smaglik 02-27-2007 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Trav20

Disagree if you like I'm just saying that I can't tell the difference between my cd's and the ipod playing in my car. Also I think the sound quality is not worth the difference in cost...you can buy the transmitter for like 1/4 of the price of a wired installation. I'm not listening to Bach and Mozart here...just listening to rock and rap...
You can't hear the hiss? That was always my big complaint. Maybe its gotten better over the years.

t00fatt 02-27-2007 01:45 PM

My girlfriend has an iPod and a griffin iTrip fm transmitter. We tried it in my car, and just how regular radio stations don't sound like CD quality, the iPod transmitted over FM sounded worse. Sure the song was playing and sounded acceptable for a stock system, but not acceptable for an aftermarket system. If money is a huge huge problem, then go with the FM transmitter. If you can't tell the differance between a CD or the radio, go for the FM transmitter. I'm actually going to be selling my AUX interface when I get my new headunit. I am going to sell it here on the forums, I don't care about getting the money back so much so I'll prolly sell it for $70 shipped, and its been in my car for about a week now and I still have all the original packaging.