Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   08 accord sub&amp question (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/08-accord-sub-amp-question-39146/)

DarkestBuddha 03-30-2011 01:45 AM

08 accord sub&amp question

Hi.
I was reading someones post about a sound system and they were removing the rear speakers and attaching the sub to the front ones. Can you leave all the speakers in your car intact and hook the subs to the rear speakers? but have normal sound coming from those speakers and the sub just producing the bass?
and also if you install a sub&amp do you have to change out all the stock speakers?
I think you have to, but just want to make sure.
btw i have the 08 accord sedan (base of the base model. . .:D)
Thanks

neophyte 03-30-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestBuddha (Post 235876)
Hi.
I was reading someones post about a sound system and they were removing the rear speakers and attaching the sub to the front ones. Can you leave all the speakers in your car intact and hook the subs to the rear speakers?
yes
but have normal sound coming from those speakers and the sub just producing the bass?
yes
and also if you install a sub&amp do you have to change out all the stock speakers?
no
I think you have to, but just want to make sure.
btw i have the 08 accord sedan (base of the base model. . .:D)
Thanks

answers in red

DarkestBuddha 03-30-2011 10:14 AM

awesome Thanks a lot Neophyte.
so i should get a 4channel amp or mono amp, if i want to run the front and rear speakers and have he sub/amp hooked to the rear?

keep_hope_alive 03-30-2011 07:27 PM

note that you cannot connect subs to rear speakers - but you can use a LOC or high-level inputs on the amp to get a signal from the rear speakers to feed the sub amp.

i will recommend removing rear speakers when you install subs in a trunk because the sub will pressurize the rear deck speakers - causing them to distort and eventually fail. also, factory rear speakers are for lows anyway - not necessary to have rear 6x9's when you install subs.

you don't want highs coming from behind you which is why you don't see rear tweeters in competition systems. you want everything in front of you, but we settle for rear subs due to space limitations and our difficulty in locating sounds below 80Hz.

for a sub, a mono amp is more suited for the sub load with necessary filters and connections for a sub. look for one with high level inputs and auto-turn on. also, mono amps are usually Class D and more efficient.

4 channel amps are great for speakers - you can bridge them for more power or run front components bi-amp or active.

if you want both - look for 5 channel amps. they are made to run everything in one chassis.

if you leave rear speakers connected, i like connecting subs to the front channels. that way you can fade to front to reduce the rear speaker volume - again realizing you want most of your sound to appear as if it is in front of you.

DarkestBuddha 03-31-2011 02:54 AM

wow Thanks
I saw the sticky thread about the budget system and was going to do something like that. except i wasnt sure if I wanted a mono block or a 4channel amp.
What did you mean by "high level inputs"
and if i opt for the 4channel, then i can wire the speakers and sub into it to produce better sound then the mono?

Thanks for the help.

keep_hope_alive 04-02-2011 08:53 AM

A mono amp will have more power to drive a sub. But a 4 channel is more flexible. I think it is more important to have the 4 channel for now to run speakers. You can upgrade by adding a mono in the future if you want more power for the sub.

High level inputs allow speaker wires to give the amp a signal.