Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   1/2 din installation kit (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/1-2-din-installation-kit-39340/)

neophyte 04-07-2011 01:48 PM

1/2 din installation kit

does anyone know of a half din installation kit for an 03 accord that would take the place of the cubby. i was going to build a shelf in there but my eq does not fit. i pulled it out cause i was going to cut the sides of the cubby back some then glass them to hide it but the spring mechanisim is inset so i cant do that either.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i dont need one with a full din and a 1/2 din because then i would have hole. i thought about just putting the eq in my console but then i would have to ope the console to adjust the volume. again thanks.

keep_hope_alive 04-07-2011 09:11 PM

Same as a kit, you can buy ABS plastic sheets from parts express. That would let you easily cut a 1/2 DIN opening with a kit-like finish

neophyte 04-07-2011 09:21 PM

tell me if this would work cause this is what i was thinking since i havent been able to find one.

buy the metra kit.
put fiberglass on the back side.
use body filler to smooth it out so that there is not that seam.
paint.

i was thinking i could either put the eq in the lower section and completely fill the upper part then mount my xm module to that bare spot or place eq in upper. fill remainder with fiberglass and body filler and then have the lower slot still for pens or whatever. if you dont think fiberglass will turn out right could you provide me a link to the plastic sheets you were talking about.

edit: metra kit will be in monday.

keep_hope_alive 04-07-2011 11:23 PM

ABS Textured Plastic Sheet 3/32" Thick x 12" x 24"

Also available for 1/8" thick.

Fiberglass and bondo can work well if you take your time.

neophyte 04-07-2011 11:33 PM

my fear with those plastic sheets is that the seams will be visible.

keep_hope_alive 04-08-2011 12:19 PM

You could just have one piece that filled the pocket opening with one 1/2 DIN hole. No seams. The plastic piece could be laminated to the kit you bought. Then you have room for a volt meter, switches, etc.

neophyte 04-08-2011 06:40 PM

thats a good point. i have an automatic. how much would the gear shift e in my way of reaching my volume knob?

neophyte 04-11-2011 10:20 AM

also the kit is coming with a wiring harness. i noticed that there is a plug on the bottom side of my deck. is that an output or am i going to have to pull the radio to splice into those wires?

keep_hope_alive 04-12-2011 07:35 AM

harness? model number of what you got?

neophyte 04-12-2011 10:14 AM

Honda Accord Kit 2003-up, chassis size E at Crutchfield.com