Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   1979 accord stereo (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/1979-accord-stereo-14277/)

mayfew 11-27-2007 11:24 AM

1979 accord stereo

I have tried the "search", but no luck. I want to relpace the stereo on a 1979 accord, but I do not have the car yet, it is a christmas gift. I belive the rear speakers are 5X7", but crutchfield claims it is a 6X9". And I think that the fronts are 3, again crutchfield claims that I can put a 6-1/2" in there. And can anybody get pictures of the inside door or rear speaker to confirm this. I plan to put in these for the front:(with some modifications, but I do not know how much I can cut) http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ures_and_specs and these for the rear:(if indeed they are 5X7") http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ures_and_specs For some reason crutchfield gives me a list of stereos that do not fit the car whan I ask to give me a list that will fit. does any body have a recomendation foe a stereo? Or how rad would it be to fit in a "J" size stereo?

sir_nasty 11-27-2007 11:49 AM

RE: 1979 accord stereo

I honestyl don't know a thing about the 79's.... I do know that older cars were prone to using larger speakers but I bet that the size of the speakers is based on the trim level, for example if it was a "top of the line" (EX or whatever they called it then) I would assume it was 6x9's in the rear.

The easiest way to cover yourself on this is to call crutchfield and ask, that way when you order them, if they are wrong you can simply tell them that they mis-informed you and you just want to trade for the proper size.

falkore24 11-27-2007 01:20 PM

.... or you can wait until you have the car to see what you are replacing.

t00fatt 11-27-2007 10:30 PM

1979 huh? When you get her be sure to post some pictures. I don't think I have ever seen that generation.

mayfew 11-28-2007 02:03 AM

The car is not for me, and I was planing to have the stereo complete before christmas, so I can give a gift not a IOU. Time is short and was wondering if anybody had experiance with replacing the stereo and speakers in the 1979 accord. Pics are comming soon photobucket is down right now. Crutchfield is too expensice, I just go there for referance.

Why doesn't thas site have subforums for each generation accord? Seems confising to place all production models into one forum.

falkore24 11-28-2007 10:14 AM

We prefer that all members help each other rather than segregating into generations. Also, help on an issue in one generation can often be applied to another gen. From the Wiki below, I gather that this can be a coupe or a sedan and can be a base model or an LX. Woohoo!!! A 2-speed auto!

EDIT: Also, if it has a digital clock, power steering and AC, it's an LX

The first generation Honda Accord was launched in 1976 as a two-door hatchback with 68horsepower (51kW), a 93.7-inch (2,380.0mm) wheelbase, and a weight of about 2,000pounds. It was larger than the tiny Civic at 162inches (4,115mm) long. The Accord sold well, due to its moderate size and great fuel economy. In 1978 an LX version of the coupe was added which came with air conditioning, digital clock, and power steering. In 1979 a four-door sedan was added to the lineup, and power went to 72hp (54kW) with the introduction of the 1751 cc EK-1 engine. In 1980 the optional two-speed automatic of previous years became a three-speed automatic. Slightly redesigned bumper trim, new grilles and taillamps, and remote mirrors on the 4-door (chrome) and the LX (black plastic) models. The CVCC badges were deleted. In 1981 an SE model was added for the first time, with novio-leather seats and power windows. Base model hatchbacks received the same smaller black plastic remote mirror that the 4-door, LX, and SE 4-door received at the same time. Instrument cluster revised with mostly pictograms, instead of the worded warning lights and gauge markings. Nivorno Beige (code #Y-39) replaced with Oslo Beige (#YR-43). Dark brown was discontinued, as was the bronze metallic. Shifter redesigned to have a stronger spring to prevent unintentional engagement of reverse, instead of the spring-loaded shift knob of the 1976 through 1980 model cars. The first generation Accords suffered from rustproofing issues, especially in the rust-belt states, where it was not uncommon for the strut towers to rust out and then fail. Once that occurred, the cars were no longer safe to drive and became parts cars. It is recommended to check for rust problems in those areas when looking at a 1st generation Accord. The cars are otherwise very reliable and fuel efficient.

falkore24 11-28-2007 10:22 AM

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/honda-accord1.htm

Here's another good write-up on the first gen accord.

I'm thinking that the car wasn't around long enough for there to be alternate speaker sizes. At the time, it was unusual to have a radio at no extra cost! ...... so I'd just go with Crutchfield's recommendations on this and also spend the extra 10 bucks so that if they are wrong, you are dealing with a reputable company.

mayfew 11-28-2007 11:39 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Okay, here are some puictures. By the looks of the front door panel the speaker is a 3" but I plan to cut and frabricate custom mounts to put in 3 1/2" I will do the same for the rear to fit a 6X9". Maybe I will hook him up with a sub too, for some bump! It is a 5 speed. Looks like it has the digital clock. The car has been passed down through the family and has 113000 original miles(no odometer rollover).The radio that I have chosen is nothing special, no HD radio or CD player, but it has an auxiliary input for an iPod and is the closest to the correct size. Again that size is hard to find and I think it will be extremely difficult to fit in any other size, judging by the pictures. I saved 200+ dollars on my last system install by buying the same components through amazon rather than through crutchfied, I do not like to spend money unwisely. We will be using a flatbed tralier to transport the honda on the 7th of December.

Attachment 23233
Attachment 23234
Attachment 23235
Attachment 23236
Attachment 23237
Attachment 23238
Attachment 23239

HuYnHness 11-28-2007 12:19 PM

Hey can you say Pimp My Ride? hahaha jk jk most of their cars are so tasteless.

That is a pretty sweet ride though, it even has a stock alpine headunit.

klrspz 11-28-2007 12:29 PM

wow.. that's a beater if i've ever seen one...

looks crazy.. have fun with it!