Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2000 Accord EX - Want to Add an AUX 3.5 MM jack/port (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2000-accord-ex-want-add-aux-3-5-mm-jack-port-42024/)

TV-Tastic 08-08-2011 06:38 PM

2000 Accord EX - Want to Add an AUX 3.5 MM jack/port

I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about doing this and I was hoping you folks could provide some assistance. I have a 200 Accord EX with CD Player and optional 6 Disc Changer. I want to add an auxiliary input port for the iPhone and iPad (3.5 mm, nothing fancy). How does one go about this? I've seen some kits out there but I'd rather just get an OEM/stock System from an Accord that has such a port. Now, I know that they don't make a stock system with AUX port for that year, but are there any subsequent year's systems that would be compatible with the 2000 Accord?

Any advice would be helpful.

keep_hope_alive 08-09-2011 12:32 PM

short answer: no. our radios had the changer integrated, not external. if the HU has an external changer connection, that can be converted to an AUX input. if the HU has sat radio, that can be converted to an AUX input.

a wired FM modulator is an option, but doesn't sound great.

your best option is to just replace the head unit. you can get a decent Kenwood for around $120 that gives you front USB and AUX. it will also sound much better powering your stock speakers.

TV-Tastic 08-09-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 250352)
short answer: no. our radios had the changer integrated, not external. if the HU has an external changer connection, that can be converted to an AUX input. if the HU has sat radio, that can be converted to an AUX input.

a wired FM modulator is an option, but doesn't sound great.

your best option is to just replace the head unit. you can get a decent Kenwood for around $120 that gives you front USB and AUX. it will also sound much better powering your stock speakers.

Hey, thanks for the response!

I've been using the FM modulator for a while and it sucks, not just in sound quality but in the fact that it's more clutter.

My CD changer is not integrated. It's external. I have a single disc in the HU itself and the separate optional Honda 6-Disc Changer. IIRC, it replaced a standard cassette deck. So that being said, considering we've established that's not integrated, I would have to eliminate the 6-Disc changer in order to accomplish this, correct? I'm not dismissing the idea of an aftermarket HU, I just want to know what all of the options are.

keep_hope_alive 08-09-2011 06:09 PM

Correct, you would need to eliminate the changer to add an AUX input. The cost of the interface may be the same as a head unit. Granted, either option results in the loss of the changer.

TV-Tastic 08-11-2011 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 250380)
Correct, you would need to eliminate the changer to add an AUX input. The cost of the interface may be the same as a head unit. Granted, either option results in the loss of the changer.

Meh... haven't used it in a year. Replacement HU may be the way to go. :)

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be fancy, I just need the features you mention. iPhone compatibility, control and charging via USB would be great instead of using the 3.5 mm jack and I'd like the sound quality it produces to be at least as good as as the stock HU. I'm not a big car stereo guy, I use it to occasionally listen to music and ballgames through the MLB app on the iPhone when I'm carting the kids around and driving back and forth to work so I'm looking for it to stay around $100 if at all possible.

Thanks!

keep_hope_alive 08-14-2011 10:01 PM

alpine is good with iPod. Read the manual before buying to verify charging capability.