Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2001 Accord sound system. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2001-accord-sound-system-46625/)

vexium12 04-02-2012 01:59 PM

2001 Accord sound system.

Hello everyone. I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 4 door. Recently, I purchased a brand new Pioneer 2400BT stereo and had it installed in my car. The touch screen display is flawless. It works perfectly, and has amazing features.

I like playing music pretty loud, especially on those summer days with the windows down.

I've noticed my stock speakers are pretty lousy when you crank the volume up, and are on their way out the door. I'm looking to replace all the speakers in my car (2 on the dash, 2 front doors, 2 rear decks) for roughly 200-350 dollars (May be a bit flexible). Is this plausible? Like I said, my main goal with this upgrade is to play music loud.

I know nothing about car speakers, so I don't even know where to begin.

Is there anyone who can suggest what I should buy, or if my budget even allows a sufficient upgrade? I am a daily commuter, driving at least 30 minutes each way from work every day. I'm hoping to upgrade my speakers toward the beginning of having this car. Accords are famed for reliability, and my car only has 91k miles on it. Plenty of life left.

I would also (eventually) like to install a sub woofer of some kind to get heavier and louder bass. That's not exactly a priority, especially with my budget. But eventually down the line, it's something I definitely want to do.

If you read this far, I sincerely appreciate your time, and look forward to reading your responses. Just a quick note, it may take me a little bit to respond to replies, but I will definitely get back to you.

neophyte 04-02-2012 03:46 PM

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ent-set-46535/
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-%24500-33230/

vexium12 04-02-2012 05:11 PM

Well after browsing through both threads, I can see my small budget isn't quite enough. Maybe if I bring my cost up a little bit, I can get a sufficient system.
And looking at a few pictures and people talking about different terminology, this looks quite complicated. :\ Now for a total beginner as far as sound goes, how easy is it to install these systems? I feel if I bring it to a mechanic, I'll be paying more in labor than the sound system is worth, so I may have to manage myself.

neophyte 04-02-2012 05:27 PM

Its not very hard. There are plenty of people on here who would be more than willing to walk you through it step by step.

keep_hope_alive 04-02-2012 05:52 PM

a professional car audio installer, MECP certified, should do the work if you pay for the install - not a "mechanic". while some may be able to do the work just fine, it is not in their normal range of skills.

for the front, you want a 6.5" component set with a mounting depth under 2-3/4". yes, you can buy speakers in your price range, but remember that you get what you pay for. there are $150 component speaker systems. for the rear, 6x9's are the stock size and an equivalent speaker will be $150. Boston Acoustics and JBL have decent product offerings in that price.

most shops have a flat rate for speaker installs. $30-40 or so. it's pretty easy if you buy a mounting bracket. if you want to DIY - i recommend buying the speakers from Crutchfield.com. they will give you all necessary mounting adapters and harness adapters (to eliminate you cutting wood/metal/wires) and you get detailed instructions for accessing the speakers.

vexium12 04-04-2012 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 275736)
a professional car audio installer, MECP certified, should do the work if you pay for the install - not a "mechanic". while some may be able to do the work just fine, it is not in their normal range of skills.

for the front, you want a 6.5" component set with a mounting depth under 2-3/4". yes, you can buy speakers in your price range, but remember that you get what you pay for. there are $150 component speaker systems. for the rear, 6x9's are the stock size and an equivalent speaker will be $150. Boston Acoustics and JBL have decent product offerings in that price.

most shops have a flat rate for speaker installs. $30-40 or so. it's pretty easy if you buy a mounting bracket. if you want to DIY - i recommend buying the speakers from Crutchfield.com. they will give you all necessary mounting adapters and harness adapters (to eliminate you cutting wood/metal/wires) and you get detailed instructions for accessing the speakers.

I may just up my budget a bit and move to around 400-500 dollars. I know this car is going to last, and I don't need to put **** speakers in now, to regret it later and have to put in better ones. Do you have any recommendations for brands to look for or stay away from? I know you mentioned BA and JBL, but like I said if I up my budget, are there better brands to go with?

I know of an audio shop near me that I believe is certified. So I'll probably use them for the install then, if it's not that costly.

keep_hope_alive 04-10-2012 01:51 PM

i think those brands will work with your budget when you pay for an install. use extra funds to buy some deadening for the front doors. best to invest in install.

BA speakers can be had for cheap now that they have discontinued their car audio division.