Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2001 sedan audio system (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2001-sedan-audio-system-43676/)

djb 10-29-2011 11:42 PM

2001 sedan audio system

Hi everyone this is my first post! I've been reading through some of the audio threads and you guys really know your stuff so i guess we'll see if you can help me. Alright so for my 17th birthday my dad got me some speakers for my car. He got me two 6.5" se65rc Boston acoustics Boston Acoustics SE65RC 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com and also two 6 x 9" SE95 Boston acoustics speakers. I believe the second one is right but i wouldn't put money on it. So we installed them today and I got a pretty good listen in on the way home from work and it only sounded a bit better, of course i told him it sounded a lot better though. So now I'm planning on putting a bit of my own money into this. From what I've read on here I should get a head unit first? I'm not really sure what else I need but I think I would like a sub as well. Anyway my very max amount i can put into this is probably 1000. Finally I'm kind of into more rap and classic rock (I guess that's weird) but I'm not sure if that helps. So with that said, can you guys help me? I'm sure you get posts like this often and I'm sorry if I'm being a nuisance. Thanks again! :)

neophyte 10-30-2011 10:18 AM

They probably only sound a bit better because you just put them in the factory location and ran them off of the stock wiring, if i were to guess.

the stock speakers sound good in the car because there is a lot of time spent on the engineering of the stock speakers to fit in that particular spot on the car and sound best.

The biggest thing you can do if you want a difference is amp the speakers. Sounddeadning will also make a huge difference. as far as the head unit goes, a new head unit would not be bad but I dont feel it is that necessary. I think you could get an EQ and it would do you just as much as a head unit as far as the difference it makes on how the speakers sound.

also you said you probably want a sub. and your max budget is 1k. here is a pretty good bundle for 280. get you everything you need as far as the sub goes and you could build a box (building a box is much better than buying a prefab box in most cases).
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ss-Bundle.html

keep_hope_alive 10-30-2011 09:22 PM

Check my build log (link in sig) for ideas. Check the speaker install thread as well, just dropping aftermarket speakers without proper seals isn't going to work out well.

An amp with high level inputs will be better than an HU upgrade. But you should just get a 4 channel amp and a head unit with front/rear/dB pre-outs.

djb 10-31-2011 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 259774)
Check my build log (link in sig) for ideas. Check the speaker install thread as well, just dropping aftermarket speakers without proper seals isn't going to work out well.

An amp with high level inputs will be better than an HU upgrade. But you should just get a 4 channel amp and a head unit with front/rear/dB pre-outs.

Okay so I still want a sub. How would I power that with just a 4 channel amp?

neophyte 10-31-2011 09:45 PM

you would either need a 5 channel or another amp.

either way it tends to cost about the same amount. I run two amps. I prefer the amp for the subs to be separate.

If you run two amps. I highly suggest a mono for the sub as they are specifically made for subwoofers. 2 channel bridged seem to be popular for subs but I think a mono is a better choice.

djb 10-31-2011 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by neophyte (Post 259864)
you would either need a 5 channel or another amp.

either way it tends to cost about the same amount. I run two amps. I prefer the amp for the subs to be separate.

If you run two amps. I highly suggest a mono for the sub as they are specifically made for subwoofers. 2 channel bridged seem to be popular for subs but I think a mono is a better choice.

That's what I was thinking I'd have to do. I appreciate both of your guys help. I'm actually thinking of becoming an engineer but don't know what kind yet. This sort of stuff could possibly be in my future. I'm probably going to head over to a local shop and pick someones brain for product recommendations etc. Any suggestions before I go?

neophyte 10-31-2011 10:07 PM

if you go to a shop know that they are going to try and push their products. there products will be expensive. by shop I hope you dont mean best buy. also remember just because they work at a car audio shop or run one doesnt mean they know what they are talking about. Last two times I talked to someone at a shop I left because they were trying to convince me of things that simply were not true or tell me that things I know to be true arent.

remember that they sell to people who dont know how to do it. people who know dont go there. to sell something you only have to sound like you know more than the person you are selling to.

djb 11-01-2011 12:52 PM

Okay so I think I have the basic idea of what I'm going to do. I just need to know if it will work. I want to get the alpine cde 121 head unit and alpine Ktp 445 power pack as well. I'll get a better amp later on. Also I want to get an alpine bass package with a single channel amp that will power two 10" subs. I'll put links to all the products below. Will this work? Should I get a different head unit or something? Also if you recommend I get something else let me know. Thanks all help is appreciated!!!
Head unit
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE121/Alpine-
CDE-121.html
Power pack
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP445/Alpine-
KTP-445-Power-Pack.html
Bass package
Alpine 500-watt Dual 10" Bass Package Package includes MRP-M500 amp, two SWE-1043 10" subs, and Sound Ordnance enclosure at Crutchfield.com

neophyte 11-01-2011 08:01 PM

when I click the head unit and power pack it takes me to a blank page. crutchfield tends to be pricey at times. check out sonicelectronix.com. maybe able to find the same thing cheaper. you also may be able to get a single type r and an amp cheaper on there or at crutchfield. probably get about the same performance from a single type r 12 as you will those two type e tens and may save some money.

edit: I also just checked on it that box that comes with it is built to minimal spec. you'd probably be better off shooting for around a 1 cubic foot box. (building it yourself). unless of course you want it flat and loud. then go for the 1.5

djb 11-01-2011 09:56 PM

Alright I appreciate the help. Sorry about those links though sometimes it messes up on my iPod. Here's the head unit Alpine CDE-121 (CDE121) In-Dash CD/MP3/WMA/AAC Car Receiver and here's the power pack Alpine KTP-445 (ktp445) Plug and Play Head Unit Power Pack for I'm starting to think i should just get a head unit and a proper amp now and deal with the sub(s) later