Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2004 Accord LX stereo system and airbag light (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2004-accord-lx-stereo-system-airbag-light-25998/)

vassiliv 06-11-2009 08:45 PM

2004 Accord LX stereo system and airbag light

Hello. I hope I am posting in the right section. I have a 2004 Accord LX and currently I have two problems that I would like to take care of myself, but don’t know where to start:

· Problem number 1:
Stereo system was malfunctioning for several months (occasionally the sound would disappear; I could see everything on display, but had no sound). It was kind of coming and going. Eventually it stopped working altogether (again, I can see everything on the display, but no sound; but when I turn the radio on I can hear the initial static). My friend thinks that most likely the amplifier died and the whole unit needs to be replaced. I called my dealer and they want $118.00 just to take the radio out, check for problems and put it back (The dealer told me that there was a recall for this model and year, but the problem was completely opposite – display would not work). They said it may cost up to $800.00 to replace the unit depending on the model. I could buy used unit for somewhere between $150.00 and $180.00 on e-bay. But I am not sure if it is safe. Could possibly the wiring cause the problem?

One more thing: if I have to replace the whole unit, would the stereo from later model accord (2005, 2006) with built in cd changer fit in my car?

· Problem number 2:
A couple of months ago I started noticing airbag light going on and off. Sometimes the airbag light comes on when I unbuckle my seat belt. At that point the seat belt light is off (even though the belt is unbuckled). I am not sure what is going on.

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding either problem. Thank you.

JimBlake 06-12-2009 07:19 AM

I'm gonna move this to the Audio/Vis. section where you'll get a better answer for #1.

For the airbag light, call the dealer & ask about the warranty. Where are you located? In USA the warranty for seatbelts & airbags is substantially longer than the basic warranty period. My 2003 Accord has airbag warranty "for the useful life of the car".

t00fatt 06-12-2009 12:43 PM

Pulling the radio out isn't going to show anything. If the harness came loose, it would have lost power all together. It's pretty common for the older units to fail, the more time they have been used the more likely it is they will fail. My recommendation is to forget about the stock HU and just go aftermarket, you will get better sound if you upgrade your speakers, and a few more options. It can just be costly, the kit that replaces the stock HU is around $150 alone. You can get a kit that will install the radio in the lower cubby, but I personally think it looks horrible and is the worst place for a radio. You will loose the in dash cd changer though, as I don't know of any aftermarket units with a built in CD changer. So if that is a high priority to you then your going to have to replace the unit. If you really want to replace the unit I would stay away from the ebay units, as most of them are prolly units that the screen went out and have been "repaired". I still have my stock HU from my car that wasn't even used 3 months if your interested. And yes the later model units will fit in your car, and I recomend looking at those units. I can't say I've seen someone with a problem with the 06-07 units, but that could just be because they haven't been used as much.

As for the airbag light, I think that question is better off in the general tech help forums. My area is car audio, I really know nothing technical about cars themselves. That actually happened to me once, but didn't matter if I had the seat belt on or off. The next day it was off and never came back on.

WheelBrokerAng 06-12-2009 04:09 PM

Thank You Gentlemen

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for giving the good correct info to our new member..

That is why we have a great forum..we have people who know
what to say at the right time...

WheelBrokerAng

t00fatt 06-12-2009 04:40 PM

No, Thank You Ang!

Oh come on Angelo you know it's you that makes this forum great. Where else can you find an honest admin that is not on a constant power trip? LOL Hope your doing well and feeling better man!

mcnoople 06-13-2009 04:09 PM

I would like to point out that his listed car is a 2004 accord LX. The lx accord used a different display and head unit than the EX cars. The lx never had a problem with displays burning out that was always on the EX and EXL. On the face of your display there is a number along the lines of "7pkl" or something similar that is your radio type. The lx used a gray background with black letter display instead of the ex/exl black background with white letter display. I don't have any advice for a fix just make sure you are getting the proper radio for the car since I am fairly sure that the ex cars are wired different since the radio powers the hvac head.

t00fatt 06-13-2009 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by mcnoople (Post 174830)
I would like to point out that his listed car is a 2004 accord LX. The lx accord used a different display and head unit than the EX cars. The lx never had a problem with displays burning out that was always on the EX and EXL. On the face of your display there is a number along the lines of "7pkl" or something similar that is your radio type. The lx used a gray background with black letter display instead of the ex/exl black background with white letter display. I don't have any advice for a fix just make sure you are getting the proper radio for the car since I am fairly sure that the ex cars are wired different since the radio powers the hvac head.

The type of display is different, but the harness and wiring is the same, at least to my knowledge. Most people don't even swap it out for an OEM unit any ways. If you have to spend money, why not do it right and god aftermarket?

vassiliv 06-15-2009 02:30 PM

2004 Honda Accord LX

Originally Posted by t00fatt (Post 174775)
Pulling the radio out isn't going to show anything. If the harness came loose, it would have lost power all together. It's pretty common for the older units to fail, the more time they have been used the more likely it is they will fail. My recommendation is to forget about the stock HU and just go aftermarket, you will get better sound if you upgrade your speakers, and a few more options. It can just be costly, the kit that replaces the stock HU is around $150 alone. You can get a kit that will install the radio in the lower cubby, but I personally think it looks horrible and is the worst place for a radio. You will loose the in dash cd changer though, as I don't know of any aftermarket units with a built in CD changer. So if that is a high priority to you then your going to have to replace the unit. If you really want to replace the unit I would stay away from the ebay units, as most of them are prolly units that the screen went out and have been "repaired". I still have my stock HU from my car that wasn't even used 3 months if your interested. And yes the later model units will fit in your car, and I recomend looking at those units. I can't say I've seen someone with a problem with the 06-07 units, but that could just be because they haven't been used as much.

As for the airbag light, I think that question is better off in the general tech help forums. My area is car audio, I really know nothing technical about cars themselves. That actually happened to me once, but didn't matter if I had the seat belt on or off. The next day it was off and never came back on.

Hi t00fatt.

Thank you very much for responding to my questions with such useful information. In regards to you suggestion to go aftermarket: I like this idea very much since I could actually install a stereo that has, like you said, better sound quality. I have a question regarding the kit that replaces stock HU – does it have climate control nubs on it? I am pretty sure you know that temperature controls are incorporated in the HU. In addition, do you know where I can get one?
I did see the kit for the lower storage area for under $25.00, and I totally agree with you it looks ridiculous.
In regards to your original HU – how much would you be willing to sell it for? And, I assume, it is from 2003 model? Is it gonna fit? And what you think the shipping would be? I live in Chicago – 60638.
Thank you very much.
Vassili V.

t00fatt 06-15-2009 03:07 PM

Yes the kit that replaces the stock HU, does have A/C controls built into the unit. It is a bit pricey around $150, and for the price the build quality isn't so great. I've had mine for more than 2 years and have had no problems, but I still don't feel it is worth $150. But there really is no other option if you want to replace the OEM unit. Crutchfield had a deal going on last month when I got my new HU, that when you buy a HU you could get that kit for $75 which is almost half the price you can get it elsewhere.

Now a new HU will give you the potential for better sound, by allowing you to have a truly flat signal. The stock HU has a nasty built in EQ you can not adjust or turn off. But if you never replace the speakers and amp them, I'm not so sure the sound quality would improve much, if at all.

My unit is from my 2006 SE sedan, it is the "premium" unit with the 6cd changer. It will fit and work in 03-07 accords. I'm asking $200 with shipping included. Shipping fees alone will be around $20, so it's really not a bad price. If you deiced to replace the unit, I would be weary of similar priced units on ebay. It isn't uncommon for these units to fail, then be repaired and sold. My unit was used for less than 3 months. If for whatever reason you decide to go with an ebay unit over mine, look at the ones that are listed for more money. You really get what you pay for on ebay.

vassiliv 06-15-2009 03:50 PM

I guess I would be interested in your original HU then. I still have stock speakers installed, so the sound quality would not improve. I have a couple of questions though:
  • What color is your HU?
  • How do you want me to transfer money?
  • Would I be able to install the unit myself?
  • What do I do if the unit does not work?
Thanks.

Vassili V.