Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2005 Accord LX. Randomly radio POPS! and then goes dead (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2005-accord-lx-randomly-radio-pops-then-goes-dead-26866/)

tpstaples 07-23-2009 01:31 PM

2005 Accord LX. Randomly radio POPS! and then goes dead

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend has an 05 accord LX with a completely stock radio in it. Pretty regularly now while she's listening to the radio, the speakers will let out a large popping noise and the radio will shut off. When she turns it back on, there's no audio. So she screams a curse word and shuts it off...

20 minutes later she'll hit the ON button again and the radio will work. BUT, sometimes it wont... sometimes it's 3 days without a functioning radio.

It's been improving her vocal skills because now she has to sing her songs... but other than that it's been a real headache..

anyone have any ideas? She took it to honda and they said they went through the wiring and didn't find any shorts or anything, and then told her it would be 600 dollars to replace her radio and that that might not even be the problem.

any ideas?

00AccordLX5spd 07-23-2009 02:21 PM

I'm pretty sure there was a recall on this.....
Let me do some searching.
If there was a recall, the Honda place you took it to should be reported to Honda of America for trying to charge you for a recalled item...

tpstaples 07-23-2009 02:28 PM

oh man!!!!!!!! if you find that recall information that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!! she would be so psyched!

thank you thank you

00AccordLX5spd 07-23-2009 02:28 PM

The recall I was thinking of was about the radio display, or screen, going out..... hmmm.....

t00fatt 07-23-2009 03:43 PM

Even though the dealer supposedly went through the wiring, my bet is one of the speakers has a short. What your describing definitely sounds like a short somewhere, since it comes and goes, something must be moving, so I doubt it is within the radio itself. This is not going to be something easily solved, electrical problems never are. When it goes out and stays out again, I would pull the radio, find a pin diagram of the harness, and measure the impedance of each speaker. They should be close to 8ohms, if it says 0.00 ohms you have a short in that speaker or the wiring. If the speakers all check out, make sure when you plug the radio back in it's still not working. If you can't get a straight answer by doing that, I would then go ahead and unplug each speaker until it comes back on. But that would only work if the short is withing the speaker itself, which I think is more likely. But the short could be in wiring itself, so unplugging the speaker won't do anything in that case. If the short is in fact in the wiring, your going to have to run new wires to that speaker.

Then there is also the chance it is the internal amp in the radio dieing, which I've heard a lot of people have this problem. But usually when it dies, it stays dead.

crc 12-09-2011 08:14 AM

I'm having the same issue...

Hi - what was the outcome with the radio issue your girlfriend was experiencing? Were you able to diagnose the problem and fix it?
Thanks!

BobTfly 02-06-2012 08:43 AM

My 2005 accor LX sedan is doing it too I hope it is a recall

keep_hope_alive 02-07-2012 09:01 PM

A factory system should have no issues. If it does, then it is an internal failure. The factory wiring does not fail without outside influence/damage.

Drpepper 02-16-2012 08:26 PM

I'd be interested in discovering what happened, if it was resolved. My 2004 factory radio is doing the exact same thing.
I will check the rear speakers because I've had my trunk stuffed with the kid's baseball stuff, maybe I've knocked something loose.

Dee's Accord 02-18-2012 12:34 PM

Was this fixed?

I have a 2005 Accord EX with a 6 CD changer doing the same thing. Mine wouldn't go out then on - it just stopped working one day. Did you ever figure out/fix the problem? I had someone look at it and they couldn't figure it out.