Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2005 EX - Upgrading w/ Factory Navi (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2005-ex-upgrading-w-factory-navi-38645/)

hbkxham 03-08-2011 10:54 PM

2005 EX - Upgrading w/ Factory Navi

Well I have decided to upgrade my system but have a few questions before I dive in. I want to keep my factory navi unit and steering wheel controls to the head unit. Will a PAC-AOEM-HON20 do the trick or will I lose my steering controls capabilities? This is the plan:

Alpine PDX-5 (ordered already)
(1) JL 12W3v3-2
Polk Audio MM6501 front & rears
Raamant BTX ii (all around-on its way)

I plan on building a sealed enclosure for the 12 and facing it towards the cabin so I won't destroy the rear speakers over time. Or should I forget the rear speakers and face sub towards the rear? Or should I go with a 10W3v3-2 in the rear trunk corner and forget the rear speakers? Is there enough space in that little corner? I hope I'm not overdoing because I really need to keep it looking factory. Also need the trunk space. Any thoughts?

keep_hope_alive 03-10-2011 11:15 AM

HON20 is separate from the nav harness and shouldn't affect it.

If you like rear speakers, then the sealed off sub will work well and be accurate, realistic bass. If you want higher output bass then the rear corner is better.

An Image Dynamics IDQ could be ran free-air to save the enclosure volume, but requires sealing off the rear deck.

hbkxham 03-10-2011 12:52 PM

Thanks for the reply Hope. I'm gonna stick with the sealed enclosure and rears. I realized the HON-20 only has 4 channel output so if I was going to add the rears do have to get a different interface?

keep_hope_alive 03-10-2011 07:48 PM

you'll only get 4 channels out - front/rear. the sub will be on the front output, the rears on their own output so your fader works.

hbkxham 03-10-2011 10:00 PM

Is there any other oem interface you reccommend? I just feel like I'm not getting the best use out of my 5 channel amp. I'm not that confident in my wiring abilities and just wanna keep it simple.

keep_hope_alive 03-10-2011 11:27 PM

That is the easiest one for the car. There are only four channels on the head unit. Connecting the amps are easy.

If you want a step up, you get into summing OEM processors that give you six channel output and processing.

hbkxham 03-11-2011 09:01 PM

Since I spend alot of time in my car, I am open to stepping it up to get it right. So many choices which one is best for me?

keep_hope_alive 03-12-2011 08:55 AM

JBL, Alpine, JL Audio, Audio Control, MTX all have nice processors. Each is unique in how you control it. Best thing to do is to check them out, read the manuals, and narrow down the list based on what you want item do.

hbkxham 04-06-2011 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I decided to do without the rears and place a sub in the right rear corner. I picked up a Audiocontrol DLQ-8 and Focal 165A1 for the fronts. I have attached a diagram of how I think everything should be wired up. Is this right? Are the fuses ok for the system? The red will be 4awg and the blue are 16awg twisted speakers wires.

keep_hope_alive 04-07-2011 01:05 AM

Looks good.