Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2006 EX-L Coupe Input (MLV, Inputs, Speakers, Etc..) (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2006-ex-l-coupe-input-mlv-inputs-speakers-etc-58961/)

exl-sior 05-01-2014 11:45 PM

2006 EX-L Coupe Input (MLV, Inputs, Speakers, Etc..)

Virgin poster here,

I recently was bequeathed a pristine 2006 Accord EX-L Coupe (with XM, 6-disc, no NAV) from my mother. I am so grateful. It has 167k miles and is in great shape. I flew out to NYC last month and drove it back (to Michigan) in a whirlwind 15 1/2 hour adventure. The car runs great; it is due for an oil change (taking it in to the Dealership next week for a thorough once over) . I gave it a good interior cleaning last weekend and am excited to take care of this new gem.

I have plans to slightly tint the windows in the coming weeks and am looking to upgrade the audio experience. I was thinking of Dynamat but after perusing these forums have learned a tiny bit about Mass Loaded Vinyl (tell me more?). It seems like the ticket to sound deadening. Since it is the coupe (with moonroof), I think that it would be a worthwhile investment to wrap the interior and trunk in this unique material. Is 1lb recommended? Is 100sq ft more than enough? How big of a project would it be for someone with little to no car audio/modification experience to take on? I do have some friends that work for Duke's Car Stereo, but I would have to pay them. With or without foam?
Found some at what seems to be a reasonable price here: AMERICAN MASS LOADED VINYL 48"X25' 1# 100 SQ FT<BR>

I briefly looked into speaker options (Crutchfield left me hanging...). But am relatively out to lunch on that topic. I am not necessarily disappointed with the system (pretty solid really) but would like to turn it up a notch. I read somewhere that there might be a MIC in the car that adds noise to counteract interior noise that could create feedback in an aftermarket system?

I am looking to keep my stock head unit but am very interested in an AUX input or preferably Bluetooth. After a bit of browsing I have seen Honda Acura 03+ USB Android iPod Bluetooth AUX adapter which would require GROM In-Car Bluetooth Extension for USB2P, AUX3 and MST3P to properly utilize the Bluetooth in my car. Best option(s)?

Priorities:

Sound deadening
Bluetooth
Easy install
Crystal clear sound with decent bass (not looking to add more than existing 6"x9")
Low to medium budget (Under $1k total?)

I might not even change the speakers after sound deadening and Bluetooth addition, but am certainly contemplating it.

I think I am on the right track here, but am certainly open to any input you all may have. I am most grateful for your advice and information. Feel free to ask questions as well. Thank you.

keep_hope_alive 05-02-2014 07:25 AM

Budget MLV and absorption at Home Depot - Page 6

MLV is well covered in this thread of mine, this material is pretty affordable because you can avoid shipping charges. figure the cost to ship costs the same as the MLV itself. 100sf of 1lb/sf is 100lbs.

1/2 lb/sf seems to make more sense for a car where weight is of concern. it performs nearly identical given the application/environment. in order for MLV to work it needs to "float" on soft materials.

I have a deadening example thread on HAF:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ng-more-32679/

Both are easy to install but just tricky. you need good spatial intelligence in order to cut the material to the right shape/size for the application. you also need specific tapes to hold the stuff steady. it doesn't like being vertical without fasteners.

you'll need a four channel amp for the speakers in order to get good sound from them. so that means an amp with high-level inputs and auto turn-on or a good line output converter (LOC) from David Navone Engineering. Any decent 4 channel amp will do (i'm selling several currently and many more are for sale used at very cheap prices).

the stock system wants rear 6x9 woofers (no tweeters) and front 6.5 components with tweeters in the dash. this is a good recipe for a sound system. buy what you can afford but I really like Hertz High-Energy speakers.