Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2008 LX stereo upgrade (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2008-lx-stereo-upgrade-50773/)

jpilk99 10-11-2012 09:02 PM

2008 LX stereo upgrade

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a similar post to many before. I read through a bunch and didn't find any specific to my 08' LX; though some similar issues I want to upgrade:

1. Want be speakers and likely amp.
2. Don't care about a sub. I figure with a thick / thumping pair of 6 x 5 or 6 x 9s in the rear, similar in front doors and tweeters somewhere ...that should do the trick. Want it loud and clear. Okay, will need an amp.
3. Want steering controls of songs/playlist - not AUX port. Don't care about CD. I've done iPod/Bluetoot adapters in my Lexus LS430 and BMW 750iL and assuming something similar will be happening here.
4. Would like a Bluetooth adapter, but, without an existing phone system I don't really see the point. Comments please.

Can I use the existing 'radio', control unit, knowing that I will likely be adding an amp? Does the stock radio come with an independent amp or is it tied in together as one unit ...meaning I'd have to get a new radio/control unit?

Lastly; I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to recommending manufacturers for speakers and amps... While I think my tastes are high end, I'm pretty sure "middle of the road" will probably do me just fine. I've had Bose systems, the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus. I've had Rockford Fosgate amps, Infinity speakers.... All sound great to me. I like to turn it up loud and not distort. Again, not a big thumpin' base man (47 years old, lots of white hair). But, certainly enough base so when Eminence Front is playing, I want to feel it.

Please give me your experiences, suggestions, feedback. Links to previous similar posts if find by me.

Thanks y'all.

Jay

keep_hope_alive 10-12-2012 07:23 PM

Welcome to HAF. i understand and appreciate the desire for good, clean, loud music.

first and foremost - good midbass response comes from good seals and installation methods. we typically do a few things to acheive this. first, we use sound deadening products to lower the resonance of the doors. second, we seal the doors by closing the holes - you can see the sticky on door speaker install for a good example of how to treat a vehicle for the purpose of accurate music reproduction.

speaker brand doesn't matter as much as the installation, which is why i mention this second. you have plenty of options. a budget for speakers is a good place to start. the stock speaker locations are decent. a front component set and rear 6x9 woofers can work well. note you don't need tweeters behind you.

an amp is required, as you know, for clean and loud. the amp quality is important. i buy used so i can get more for my money. used amps are fine as long as they work and are complete (all panels, caps, etc.). if you find used gear in original boxes, that increase the chance they are well cared for.

the stock head unit could be used, you could get a LOC or OEM interface processor to transfer the signal from the HU to the amp. you can add an AUX or Bluetooth to the factory radio. PartsExpress has a Bluetooth audio receiver for $15 that connects to the AUX and gets power from a USB adapter.
or you can replace the head unit and get a steering wheel control adapter, PAC SWI-X. I prefer aftermarket so you get better iPod controls, included BT, better audio quality, and some processing features (varies by model). But then you have the investment in mounting adapters. for me, it's worth it to upgrade the head unit.

keep_hope_alive 10-12-2012 07:28 PM

one thing you'll notice from the door speaker thread and my build log is that I spend more time than cash on installs. both the Scion and my Accord sound amazing - they are accurate, clear, loud, and they have an excellent sound stage. once you hear a sound stage, and each instrument is properly placed above/across the dash - it is something you strive for as it takes listening to another level.

feel free to ask more questions. share your expected budget and we can plan specifics and talk brands.

I am a fan of Alpine. I like Kenwood. Pioneer, JVC, and Clarion are decent. Massive Audio, Sundown Audio, even Powerbass are decent. Dynaudio, Hertz/Audison, Morel, Hybrid Audio Technologies, Ultra Subs are all excellent companies with top-notch products.

jpilk99 10-13-2012 08:28 AM

Thank you! This is great intel. Do you have any more pics of the installs you've done? I did see the detailed breakdown of (not sure if it was you or not) doing the sound deadening/sealing of a front door. I will likely do that and also the rear deck; which frustratingly has something loose in it today and it vibrates just going down the road.

Big question: I don't want to replace the headunit. Or at least I can't see how that could be done easily. In the old days, you could pop out one radio and pop a new one in it's place. This 08' Accord dash & headunit are build together. So, with that in mind, I would like to integrate an amp. Are there any good posts or youtubes you've seen on this. Lastly, I think if I just do the sound deadening, put in an amp and new speakers - no new locations, just OEM spots - that I'll be fine.Oh, yeah, if I can get an Ipod connector and use the steering controls that would be great - don't like fiddling with the iphone while driving.

Thank you!!!!

jpilk99 10-16-2012 06:53 PM

Quick question: What's an "LOC"?

Do you have any wiring diagrams for this car - pdfs? Actually, who makes a good Service Manual; Bentley?

Lastly, what have you seen other folks in this forum go with in terms of an iPhone adapter?

Thanks again!!!

Jay

keep_hope_alive 10-20-2012 10:57 AM

sorry for the delay.

LOC = line output converter. it has inputs from the factory speaker wires and the outputs are RCA connections to feed the amp. they can also have a remote turn-on output for the amp.

you can get a LOC as stand alone or part of a more flexible OEM integration unit (such as JBL MS-8).

I have a Haynes manual that has good schematics. Bentley may also. Metra has dash kits to replace the factory radio with aftermarket single or double din. they have different models for cars with or without dual climate controls and in black or silver.
visit metraonline.com and enter your vehicle information for install documents like these:
http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...9-7874_web.pdf

for iPhone adapters, PAC-Audio, USA-Spec, and GROM Audio are the top 3 manufacturers.

2008 Honda Accord (6 Speaker System) Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram
Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: White
Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Violet
Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Car Radio Illumination Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Red
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Black
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Pink
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Red