Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2009 Accord Coupe lx-s sound system help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2009-accord-coupe-lx-s-sound-system-help-56151/)

Gyro812 08-08-2013 05:48 PM

2009 Accord Coupe lx-s sound system help

So I just bought a 2009 accord lx-s and love the car except for the sound system in it. I believe it is a 160 watt system with 6 speakers. I want to install a new system and would like for it to look as stock as possible but I am open to installing a new deck to replace to factory one. I went to cartoys today and they wanted 400 dollars for the parts and install (not including headunit, amps, and speakers.....) so I decided to do the install myself. I was wondering how difficult it would be to install it myself. The display screen looks like it could cause some problems. I want a good sounding system with decent bass but nothing extreme. I just want to feel the bass in my seat and have clarity. I am looking to spend like 300-500 dollars and would like any input you guys could think of. Would upgrading the speakers and adding a small sub be decent with the factory headunit? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

GMANCRX 08-09-2013 09:00 AM

I was an installation professional MANY YEARS ago ... This is JUST my opinion.

To Start: Crutchfield is usually a decent resource - Helps with some ideas.

- Looks pretty easy. Just take your time. Hmmm ... Didn't want the video to be imbedded...

I'm frustrated with the auto manufacturers in today's market. They make it SO DIFFICULT to install aftermarket stereos without major expense and hassle. Wouldn't be so bad, but most OEM stereo systems BLOW for sound quality and volume.

In order of sound quality improvement ...

1A) If you can find an aftermarket stereo (that fits and looks good) with line level (RCA) outs, this will give you the biggest improvement, but the tradeoff is appearance and BIG COST. I'm struggling with this right now myself ...

1B) Add a subwoofer IMHO, a stereo isn't even worth turning on unless it has a sub LOL (no I'm not a bass-head) - This will require installing an amplifier as well (obviously).

If you have no experience working on cars (or stereo systems/amplifiers, I recommend hiring a professional do it!!)

2) Add an iDevice input adapter ... I installed one into mine and it's CD quality sound (it utilizes the CD changer input on my head unit) without having to fumble with CDs and their cases!

3) Speakers. Typically the OEM speakers are "adequate", just can't handle a lot of power. If you decide to add multiple amplifiers down the line, you will have to replace the speakers.

keep_hope_alive 08-11-2013 01:30 AM

welcome!

your budget and your expectations don't seem to align. good replacement speakers start at $300 for the front components only and without a decent external amp you won't get clarity. plain and simple - clarity requires good amplification. and that doesn't exist in factory systems or head units.

i know, i have a factory "premium" amp on my repair bench right now, they are pitiful.

start by disconnecting any active noise cancelling mics - we have some stickies on the subject. they seem to be a determent.

after that, take a serious look at the budget. $400 to install all of that is a very fair price and will be a decent amount of work. what is your experience level with installations?

to save money, keep the factory head unit.
buy an amp with high level inputs and auto turn-on (kicker has one)
buy front components and be prepared to custom fabricate mounting brackets (drills and jig saw required) and use weatherstripping foams to recreate factory seals to the door panel. the front components will require extra wiring from the crossovers to the tweeters and from the amp to the crossovers. you will need to interface with stock wiring to feed the speakers. PAC-Audio sells an amp integration harness for the vehicle.

bass adds even more cost and complexity. easy to drop in a manufactured sub/box combo.

keep_hope_alive 08-11-2013 01:35 AM

for example, i recently pieced this together for someone:
2009 CR-V System