Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2011 Honda Accord Factory speaker replacement (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2011-honda-accord-factory-speaker-replacement-38231/)

mich8968 02-17-2011 04:56 PM

2011 Honda Accord Factory speaker replacement

I have a 2011 Accord EX-L with the 270W factory radio with 7 speakers, w/o nav, dual climate control. I wanted to add an amp and replace the speakers. The shop I took it to said they couldn't add the amp without finding the factory crossover for the front component speakers. Does anyone know where the crossover is for the front speakers.

Also, supposedly the grill cover is supposed to come off the back deck and new speakers just drop right in but I haven't been able to remove the grill covers and didn't want to pull off the entire back deck. Does anyone have any suggestions. It seems like it's getting harder and harder to make aftermarket changes

neophyte 02-17-2011 09:34 PM

not sure about the crossover but you will have to pull the entire deck cover. it really isnt that hard. couple of clips and it comes off.

keep_hope_alive 02-17-2011 10:58 PM

If you add an amp and replace speakers you are wiring the car anyway, factory crossovers are not of concern. Besides, the tweeters just have the crossover mounted to them anyway, a small capacitor for high pass, similar to every factory system for the past 20 years. Otherwise they are actively powered through the factory amp.

Direct placement speakers don't really exist. Baffles and seals need to be made. Check out the stickys in these section including the door speaker thread.

mich8968 02-18-2011 07:45 AM

I think the issue was the shop wanted to reuse the factory wiring. the 2011 has compnent speakers in the front and a facotry amp... at least they say it's a 270 watt system and i'm not quite sure how they accomplish that. I know running new wire would be best. Is there a way to add the amp and reuse the factory speaker wiring. For some reason they are telling me if they add the amp, i'm not going to get any sound out of the front tweeter. Do you think maybe I should find another shop.

mich8968 02-18-2011 07:49 AM

also, is there any way to get a schematic of what's actually behind that 270 watt system, type of head unit and amp and where the amp is located along with the wiring diagram.

KnetW 02-18-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by mich8968 (Post 231440)
Do you think maybe I should find another shop.

FWIW, ya, I would. Reusing the factory wiring is sketchy at best. Reusing the factory crossover makes zero sense, assuming you are replacing the fronts with components that will have their own crossover that is actually designed to be used with those components.

I am working out the same upgrade, and I will be using nothing factory from the pre-outs onward.

keep_hope_alive 02-18-2011 04:37 PM

Find another shop. Put an age requirement on the installer, no one under 25. Ask to talk to the installer directly to discuss what you want them to do. Verify you can stop by and see the progress in the shop so you get a behind-the-scenes view.

Accept that the install with new wiring will cost more. Include sound deadening on the doors for lower road noise and much more mid bass.

Try Speed of Sound near Butler PA. The installer is good.

keep_hope_alive 02-18-2011 04:47 PM

The power ratings are a bit exaggerated, like a head unit - usually max power and not RMS. A Haynes manual will have a wiring diagram. Hondapartsdeals dot com will have model numbers but you won't find specs. Everything is cheaply made yet overpriced.

They should be installing new tweeters in the factory locations. All speakers should be replaced.

Some wiring can be reused but it is usually more work messing with the factory wiring than just running new.

Seriously, avoid that shop or ask to talk to an owner/installer that is competent. Find someone who has built cars for MECA, IASCA, USACi.

mich8968 02-18-2011 05:56 PM

Thanks for the help, I'll give the shop in Butler a try.

keep_hope_alive 02-19-2011 08:39 AM

i was on a jobsite visit in Butler and happened to have some free time before my flight out of Pittsburgh. So i stopped in and talked to the salesman (who was retarded) but then met the installer, went back into the shop and talked to him for a while. i nice guy who knows his stuff.

the installer is a regular on FiberglassForums under the username SpeedofSound. That was a year ago, not sure if he's still there.

i would think that there are some good shops in Pittsburgh, you'll just need to ask around.