Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   2013 Accord Audio Performance (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/2013-accord-audio-performance-53325/)

Dominus 03-01-2013 07:52 PM

2013 Accord Audio Performance

Hello everyone.
Ok, so I just bought the 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/o Navi in February. As it seems many other recent owners have discovered, the sound is not too impressive, especially if you are trying to listen to anything with some bass. If you turn the volume up even just half way, the speakers sound all distorted. I bought a $31,000 car, with a supposed "premium" audio system, and it sounds far from premium IMO. I am coming from a 1999 Toyota Camry and that bare bones audio system blows this Accord away.

I would like to upgrade my system. Full disclosure, I don't know much about cars and how to install my own speakers/subs/amps etc. That being said, I would just like to be able to listen to my music at a decent-to-hi volume with some deep bass. I don't want to shake the streets when I drive by, just a system where it is loud, clear and has good/deep bass.

Any recommendations as to what you think I would need replaced/upgraded and how much it should cost installed (not looking to get gouged) would be most appreciated. Like I said, I don't know a ton about cars or car audio, and don't want to get the wrong/unnecessary upgrades.

Thanks in advance!!

ACEIV 03-02-2013 11:59 AM

repeat

Hi,

I posted this in another thread. I am a quality of sound guy vs. blowing the doors off kid, so this is what I did.

The Problem: The factory amp is only a 198 watt Pioneer located by the glovebox and the speakers are by Foster, a company that makes generic speakers. The unit does not have enough power to drive everything accurately. In addition, the reason the tweeters sound good is that they are crossed over at the amp...however...the door speakers with the mids are not crossed over...this causes the muddy sound for the mids and lack of base. The stock sub is fine, just needs a good amp also.

My Solution. First you need another amp, I chose the ALpine MRX-F35 ($215 online) and you will need an amp kit (8 awg Rockford Fosgate $45 online) and a speed wire kit ($30 at Best Buy - probably alot cheaper online). I mounted this on the back of the rear seat in the trunk. Wires were needed to run down both sides of the car, (amp battery power on driver side and unit connections and speaker from the passenger side). If you are on a budget, you can stop here and there is a significant improvement.

Then I replaced the rear deck speakers with Inifinty 62.9 Kappas ($71 online)...Wow what a differnece...the sound field is now filled.

Installation for both was about $150 at Best Buy.

On March 8th, Infinity is releasing their new component speakers that replace their Kappa Perfect 6.1. I had these in my last car and they were incredible...I can't wait to get the new ones...I have spoken with Infinity tech support and they assure me they are worth the wait, since I liked the previous version. Should cost about $300 with installation.

Note, I listen to all kinds of music but prefer vocals and guitars, and jazz.

Don't forget to disable the ANC on the drivers side pillar.

Good Luck,

Aceiv

keep_hope_alive 03-07-2013 07:54 AM

thanks for the input!

i recommend starting with front component speakers and an amplifier for them. you want to invest in the front speakers before anything else - it will give you the most benefit.