Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

7th Gen: Can I install the XM radio from the V6 into my I4 EX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 03:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 7th Gen: Can I install the XM radio from the V6 into my I4 EX?

My wife has a 2005 2.4L Accord EX sedan. She is not crazy with the metra kit option and has a cracked LCD. She only has manual single climate control and I see all the XM units appear to be dual climate control. Is there a way to make this work so I can add the factory XM unit? She has one of those portable XM units in her air vent, but since they bounce around so much she gets a lot of antenna errors.

I had thought about one of the android units, but none that I saw do satellite radio.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

anyone?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

sorry for the delay, it is a highly specific question.

the premium head units usually have different wiring harnesses for the accessories. besides having the head unit with XM capability, you would need the antenna (which requires installation) and the wiring harness for the XM antenna. Additionally, it is likely that the HVAC system won't be wired the same and may not be compatible.

The first step would be looking at pictures for each of the units to compare the wiring harness quantity and shape. The next step would be comparing the wiring schematics for each configuration to verify if you just need to add wiring to the current harnesses or add harnesses.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

That's where I was sort of hoping someone that has "did it/done that"...based on what I have looked at I don't think the Sirius radios will work without converting to dual auto climate control which is probably a huge task. It may be we just settle for a new 6 disc changer (someone smashed her LCD screen) and stick with the add on sirius device.

My wife is just not happy with the aftermarket options.

We plan on selling the car more than likely so we at least need to get a radio that has a good LCD. We are also debating gifting it to her 20 and 26 year old since neither has a car.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Understood.

It is likely that the younger generation would be happy with an aftermarket solution since they would want modern connectivity and features.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I elected to just keep the add-on Sirius/XM unit and pick up a 6 disc changer unit. Got a nice clean one from Box Auto Salvage at 800-343-5251, they show the actual part you will get on Car-Part.com and not just a stock photo or perfect example. Everything worked fine. I did have to look up my own radio code at the honda site, but that was easy.

The radio looks brand new other than some really hairline scratches on the lcd screen that are typical and I could easily polish out.

I have ordered 5-6 of these from other salvage yards selling GRADE A parts, but received radios that looked like crap. This one looked new and was only $90 shipped.