Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2017 Accord Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:08 PM
Default 2017 Accord Speakers

I have a 2017 Accord EX Coupe with the 7-speaker system. The rear 8" factory subwoofer is absolutely garbage in my opinion that's mounted in the rear deck. Is there any sort of suggested subwoofer to use to replace that subwoofer back there?

Old 06-04-2017, 11:52 PM

It isn't garbage. However, it does sounds like crap, but it (the sub) isn't inherently the problem.

The ANC system keeps the sub busy canceling low frequency noise. This works well for lowering the sound floor (which is great with family in the car), but absolutely kills the low end in music. Also, I have recently read that the sub is phased in such a way as to make the bass sound as if it is mostly coming from the front. I have no idea if that is right or not, but yes, the 7 speaker Accords do seem to have "some" bass up front (but none coming from the rear).

You can kill the ANC via unplugging the mics from its module. The ANC module is located under the radio, more specifically, behind the small cubby hole below the radio touch screen. Some people have been unplugging it from the pass front floorboard, but I found that to be a REALLY tight fit. Others have been removing some center console parts to remove the cubby hole, as the ANC is right behind that.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Another location to access the ANC mic wires is in the driver's a-pillar or at the mics themselves in the headliner (front and rear).

Beyond the ANC system, the factory EQ is hideous. That EQ is part of the DSP built into the amplifier in 7-speaker systems. The output from the head unit itself is a clean, flat 3V balanced output that is best intercepted and fed to aftermarket amplifiers.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
Another location to access the ANC mic wires is in the driver's a-pillar or at the mics themselves in the headliner (front and rear).

Beyond the ANC system, the factory EQ is hideous. That EQ is part of the DSP built into the amplifier in 7-speaker systems. The output from the head unit itself is a clean, flat 3V balanced output that is best intercepted and fed to aftermarket amplifiers.

Is there a way to disable the EQ on a 2016 system?

I am thinking about accessing the ANC module to disable that,but heard that maybe disabling the EQ itself is a big help.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-05-2017, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrlittlejohn
Is there a way to disable the EQ on a 2016 system?

I am thinking about accessing the ANC module to disable that,but heard that maybe disabling the EQ itself is a big help.

Thanks,
Mike
on the touchscreen models the factory EQ can be defeated in the developer menu, but the change is not retained with ignition cycle. there are youtube videos on accessing the developer menu.

the touchscreen models have a clean output before the factory amp. intercepting the signal before the factory amp and installing your own amplifier is a quick way to get a decent sounding stereo.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
on the touchscreen models the factory EQ can be defeated in the developer menu, but the change is not retained with ignition cycle. there are youtube videos on accessing the developer menu.

the touchscreen models have a clean output before the factory amp. intercepting the signal before the factory amp and installing your own amplifier is a quick way to get a decent sounding stereo.
I searched YT for this info. I found a few videos, but not pertaining to my system.

Here is what I observed...

First, I have a 2016 Accord EX-L with sense and navi. This is a totally different beast. I hold the menu/power/disp and I get a screen to turn on/off external diag mode. No matter my choice, I can only hit the back button and I go into a set of 6 pages of information on signal strengths etc. Nothing can be done at all except 2 buttone on the bottom. "CLEAR NVM" and "CLEAR CGS". I believe this may have something with the satellite radio as it comes up only when I am in the Sirrius audio selection. If I am on BT or FM, I go to a screen for compass settings with calibration or zone select options only with the menu/power/disp buttons.

Anyone had any luck with this system yet here or anywhere?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Bummer. At least you have the option to get a clean output from the factory HU and install an aftermarket amp. That alone will provide good results.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM

I believe the access to the EQ settings were removed with the 2016 and newer models as I have a 17 Accord EX-L and there is nothing in the developer menu to access the EQ and set it to Flat as you can in the 15's and earlier models. The only thing you can do is turn the ANC off and that isn't a good idea from the head unit perspective as it sends an audible signal to the subwoofer even though the volume may be turned very low or even off. On another note, I am installing a Polk Audio db840 8" in my car this weekend and I will follow up and let you know how it sounds after replacing the factory model. I can tell you that changing the sub out requires either modifying the deck or the use of spacers as any replacement models basket is too large to fit properly into the factory opening. I went the route of the spacer and hope like hell it works!