Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   4 12s in my trunk (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/4-12s-my-trunk-23253/)

AccordLXMaster 01-30-2009 04:48 PM

4 12s in my trunk

i thought about putting 4 12s in my trunk right??...i know pretty far fetched thing that most racers wont do...but im really not a racer...just a show off...lol...but yea i thought about doing it with the L5 but t00fatt erased that idea from my head..then i thought about asking a few people on yahoo and this one guy says this... and i quote

"Oh no, Kicker subs just aren't what they were in the 90's. Check out these bad boys. I run them in my focus."
http://www.noexternalsellingsites.net

is this a good idea....thinkin of running them ported...i havent eveer heard of these subs so i thought id ask around first

t00fatt 01-30-2009 05:00 PM

I've never heard of those subs, they don't handle much power, nor do they have much excursion. I wouldn't expect much from those subs. You don't need 4 12"s for competition loudness. First off to do what you want to do you would need to upgrade the stock alt to run 2000w, and that isn't cheap. You really should think this through, and think what is that your really want to accomplish. Two 15"s with 2000w will about as loud and take up less space, if you really want to go this way and can afford it, and look into 15" DDs.

AccordLXMaster 01-30-2009 05:32 PM

ok preciate it...ive never heard of em either....but there are a few vids of them up on youtube....mostly of the 18s and from what i see they hit pretty hard...but yea think i should stick with the cvx huh?..he kinda went against that...but yea the cvx 15s in a sealed ported is prolly wat ill go since i dont have enough money for enough power for 2 15s sealed...hell i might not even get the cvx 15s sealed because man like u said that would serioulsy call for sum upgrading....any lower line of 15 u think i could go for that is still halfway decent..trying to stay under 600-700....thats kinda my price range

t00fatt 01-30-2009 05:48 PM

While I'm not very familiar with them but I would say go for a 15" DD over a CVX. You don't really have a big enough trunk to run two 15"s comfortably. I don't think you realize the kind of bass you can get with a single 15". Power means a lot more than you think.

finch13 01-30-2009 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt (Post 152799)
I don't think you realize the kind of bass you can get with a single 15".

A kid I went to highschool with ran a 15 or 18 inch pointing right at the hatch window on his Integra. Needless to say, one day showing off after school, we all watched his hatch shatter.

Master, where do you get your ideas from? Some of them are just so far fetched.

MacLeod 01-31-2009 12:14 PM

Kicker subs arent what they were back in the 90's? Thats a load of crap. A lot of people think that because a manufacturer isnt working out of the back of a garage like they were 15 years ago that theyve lost their quality. I admit sometimes thats the case - not so with Kicker.

There were several world champions at MECA finals last year running Kicker subs and amps as there was in DB Drag and USACi. A friend of mine won 3 world championships in sound quality running a Kicker L7.

The L7 is one of my alltime favorite subs and Id have no reservations running one in my setup. The L5 is also a great sub.

A pair of L7 12's properly powered and in a proper enclosure would absolutely SLAM!

t00fatt 01-31-2009 01:48 PM

Those L7s will produce those dbs but they just sound horrible for non competition use. And this kid is not interested in any competitions just the teenage showing off.

Mac you don't think the CVX has good SQ, especially for a kicker? I know it is not at all an SQ sub, but I like the balance it has. It has great SPL but still has a bit of SQ. It can get a bit muddy with fast high bass though.

EDIT: WHOA did you say the L7 won SQ competitions? How are SQ comps judged, judges? I thought it was big deal when the CVX won a few SQ contests when it first came out.

MacLeod 01-31-2009 09:12 PM

Im actually a pretty big fan of anything Kicker. Their Comp line is very solid and I think they have very good SQ at their price point.

Yeah - a humble L7 in the center console of a Chevy pickup downfiring was not only a 3 time world champion but was also the best system Ive EVER heard. David Hogan is the guy that did it. It was also his work truck so if had ladders and tool boxes all over it too!! LMAO! It was great to see! Everybody think the guy was here to hook up the PA system then he walks away with top honors!

Gary Biggs - 7 time world champion used a 10" L7 in his legendary Buick Regal. Its all in the install and tuning my brother. A good quality product will almost always be able to sound great if operated properly.

t00fatt 01-31-2009 09:27 PM

That is just crazy, every L7 I've ever heard has been extremely muddy sounding. Were those L7s in a sealed? I don't think I've ever heard an L7 in a sealed. I can't see how they would have good SQ, when kicker only rates them up to 100hz. I know subs don't like anything that high. But I always thought a sub that was rated for higher frequencies would reproduce the higher bass notes better. That's why I'm glad your back, I really don't know very much just the basics.

MacLeod 01-31-2009 10:42 PM

Actually, youre wanting the sub to play as few frequencies as possible. Theyre ideally meant to play the sub bass parts which is the 30-40 Hz range. These are the frequencies that you "feel" rather than "hear". Your front stage speakers are the ones you want playing those higher bass frequencies. Those are going to sound more musical and realistic.