Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   6.5" Speaker Fit Front with OEM Grill? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/6-5%22-speaker-fit-front-oem-grill-20664/)

Harry_Wild 09-12-2008 07:02 PM

6.5" Speaker Fit Front with OEM Grill?

I am restoring a 1991 Honda Accord SE.

I like to know if a 6.5" round speaker can be installed to replace the 4" and afterwards can the OEM Honda grid be placed back on to cover the new 6.5 speakers.

Here is the speakers I am think of getting are Polk Audio SR6500s:

Speaker Size6 3/4 Design2-wayTweeter Design22mm Ring RadiatorTweeter CompositionFabricWoofer CompositionAerated polypropyleneWoofer SurroundButyl rubberParts Warranty3 YearsLabor Warranty3 YearsSpecificationsSensitivity90 dBFrequency Response40 - 30k HzRMS Power Range (Watts)50-125Peak Power Handling (Watts)250Impedance (Ohms)4Top-mount Depth (Inches)2 9/16Bottom-mount Depth (Inches)2 3/4Cutout Diameter or Length (inches)5 5/8

"The installer at the installation shop said he would just cut the pod opening bigger and place them back in."

If you don't think it is possible; then is the 5.25" better?

Thanks for your help.

t00fatt 09-12-2008 08:22 PM

RE: 6.5" Speaker Fit Front with OEM Grill?

Are you planning on amping them? If not I would look for speakers with an even lower power rating and higher sensitivity. Although these would work ok with low power, they will sound much better amped. Now I don't know about the fit, but 5.25" may fit better and you may prefer the sound of them also. 5.25"s give you more mids and mid bass, while 6.5's will putout more bass and less mid bass and mids. The bass output on either will be minimal if you don't amp them. Without enough power those speakers will sound muffled and not very sharp.

Harry_Wild 09-12-2008 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

Are you planning on amping them? If not I would look for speakers with an even lower power rating and higher sensitivity. Although these would work ok with low power, they will sound much better amped. Now I don't know about the fit, but 5.25" may fit better and you may prefer the sound of them also. 5.25"s give you more mids and mid bass, while 6.5's will putout more bass and less mid bass and mids. The bass output on either will be minimal if you don't amp them. Without enough power those speakers will sound muffled and not very sharp.
My total budget for the audio system which includes a step up alternator and deep cycle battery, is around $2,500.00

Yes it will have a sub which is already purchase a 10" sub. I have already purchased the Alpine pdx-5; a digital amp that I take with Alpine technical support that state that is under rate in RMS. The specs are 75W RMS @ x 4 - 4 OHMS; 300W RMS @ x 1 - 2 OHMS. I think you can assume that true RMS output is at least 15% more. It so small too! I going try to have the install shop do it in the passenger seat!

Can anyone here know for sure if a 6.5" will fit in properly so that the OEM grids covers will fit back in? If not; how about the 5.25" rounds?

Thanks!

t00fatt 09-12-2008 11:53 PM

I just got an alpine PDX-4.100M amp for my boat. While its a marine its still the same yet its 100w x 4 at both 2 and 4 ohms. Its so small, and supposedly doesn't produce any heat. I haven't installed it yet as I'm still recovering from a recent shoulder surgery. I really can't wait to hear that amp, I also ordered a pair of JL 7" marine componet 100w speakers and a JL 10" W5 marine sub for the boat also. When you get it set up let me know how the amp sounds with the highs. I never heard a full range digital amp, but I have high hopes. As for your question it's going to take a while to get that answer. Not many 4th gens with high budget systems around these days.

Harry_Wild 09-13-2008 12:10 AM

I just got an alpine PDX-4.100M amp for my boat. While its a marine its still the same yet its 100w x 4 at both 2 and 4 ohms. Its so small, and supposedly doesn't produce any heat. I haven't installed it yet as I'm still recovering from a recent shoulder surgery. I really can't wait to hear that amp, I also ordered a pair of JL 7" marine componet 100w speakers and a JL 10" W5 marine sub for the boat also. When you get it set up let me know how the amp sounds with the highs. I never heard a full range digital amp, but I have high hopes. As for your question it's going to take a while to get that answer. Not many 4th gens with high budget systems around these days.
It looks like it going to be another two weeks before I get the car. It still at the autobody and engine shop. It been their since April of this year believe it or not! The bill is over $20K! I been cost over run over cost over run. I told the autobody I wanted it in new car condition. It looks pretty nice but they are upgrading the braking to Bimbo racing - specs and the double turbos just got put in last month. The new 18" wheels look cool too! I tell you this; don't go and get a custom performance job done; it at least double the quote!

I know it will sound great! Alot of very positive on reviews by owners of the Alpine pdxs. The pdx-5 just got back into stock this week!

t00fatt 09-13-2008 12:23 AM

That's a lot of money for a 17 year old car. Any particular reason you choose a 4th gen accord?

Harry_Wild 09-13-2008 01:21 AM

That's a lot of money for a 17 year old car. Any particular reason you choose a 4th gen accord?
Well it was one of my first new cars that I purchased. I sold it to my father after two years and its in San Francisco for all this. Has under 50K in mileage. I really like the car and it is speedy and quite nice to drive. Not as fast in pickup as a today's M3 or 911 Turbos, 55 AMG but after the twin turbos and the boring out of the engine, etc...; it should be quite fast! Should have close to 400-500HP??? It a front wheel drive too so it will not accelerate like the rear engine ones but with racing suspension parts. Gas mileage should be quite nice too since it turbo! Oh I also put in a Nitro Oxide tank in the wheel well just in case some "Ferrari" wants to show off! I wanted to make sure I could get past him/her while I watching the rear view mirror.

Just wanted to have an atypical car that is a part of my younger years! It has no airbags too! I thinking about those Porsche type seats too! But one step at a time. I want to get the car finish and maybe next year I can add on to it! It will be then stored in the coming winter and drive in the late spring to fall months next year.

I not sure about reporting the upgrades to the insurance company! It will sky rocket the policy but I afraid that that what I will have to do when it gets upped for the insurance coverage.

I think the total cost will be close to the $35K range!

falkore24 09-15-2008 10:35 AM

I hope that your turbines can take the nitrous burn!!! Good luck!!!

t00fatt 09-15-2008 03:12 PM

What block are you using? I've seen a lot of people concerned with the compression from a single turbo. How are you going to keep the turbos from overheating. A turbine spinning at 200,000 RPM sure produces some heat, then add that to extra heat from the nitro. I'd be worried about that set up.

Harry_Wild 09-16-2008 11:54 PM

What block are you using? I've seen a lot of people concerned with the compression from a single turbo. How are you going to keep the turbos from overheating. A turbine spinning at 200,000 RPM sure produces some heat, then add that to extra heat from the nitro. I'd be worried about that set up.
The engine shop did everything! I just told them that I wanted the fastest car they could make and it has to be the same gas mileage. I also told them that I like to get a nitro oxide to increase passing. They did all the design, planning and tuning. They did the suspension work and reinforcement to the frame too! Got 14"? rotors. The gas mileage will be down a couple of miles but thats okay! I told them I just need a new speedometer which I got one that goes to 180mph. Everything else looks normal! That the way I like it to look! Just another Honda Accord SE!