Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   6x9??? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/6x9-22162/)

DCPunk900 12-03-2008 01:40 PM

6x9???

hey i am thinking of replacing the 6x9 in the back of my 97. as of now my stock ones have really!!!! nice bass. i dont want to loose any of that and i dont want a sub. i just want somehting that hits all high lows and mids.. i listen to a lot of techno and some rap and rock.. less then 150 is nice too :) let me know what you guys would recommend

finch13 12-03-2008 01:52 PM

RE: 6x9???

I have Pioner 6x9s in the back and they're okay... nothing special without an amp. The rear deck speakers are round 6.5" in a 6x9 plate though, but 6x9's will bolt in fine.

6x9 speakers also distort easier because the cone isnt as rigid as the same speaker in a 6.5" size.

t00fatt 12-03-2008 04:23 PM

Your not going to find any speakers with more bass than stock, all stock speakers have to offer is bass. If you want to almost match the bass and significantly increase the sound quality your going to have to amp the speakers. My JL VR 6x9s are VERY bassy.

smaglik 12-06-2008 01:23 PM

when i installed the 6x9s in my 94, all i had to do was angle them a bit to fit. had to drill holes, but it was pretty easy.

19Accord97 12-06-2008 08:52 PM

I remember the bass of the factory Pioneer speakers jamming to Just a lil' bit by 50 Cent!
Do you have a aftermarket headunit or stock?

My first aftermarket speakers were the $20 ones from wal-mart which sounded fine to me! When I enabled the H-Bass on my Aiwa deck it had some pretty good bass! However, I didn't do it much for fear of blowing them. If you have $150, you can EASILY get a 10' subwoofer w/ everything included for under that. Meijer recently had a single Lightning Audio 10' subwoofer w/ EVERYTHING needed to set it up for $65. I recommend getting a small amp and some $30-$40 speakers. I bought a pair of Pioneer 6x9's off eBay brand new for like $40 and they were one of the more expensive versions.

Let us know what ya decide!

DCPunk900 12-08-2008 12:21 AM

RE: 6x9??? and CROSSOVER!?!

hmm.. alright, i may get a small 10 in sub, a 400 watt amp, a new deck for my car ( i am runnign the stock deck with cd changer) and new speakers.. somethign is rattling on my driver door when i turn it up... time to take off thew door panel and have a look now that i just put it back on[:@] that always seems to happen haha!!! Alright now to change topic wtf is a crossover, i know for a sub it elimintaes highs and revers.. but are they really worth it?

botang47 12-08-2008 03:13 PM

in component speakers, crossovers deliver the highs to the tweeters and the lows to the woofer, creating a very precise sound.

t00fatt 12-10-2008 12:57 PM

A crossover on a amp set to either low or high pass will either cut out the highs or the lows. You would use the low pass filter for a sub, and a high pass filter if you have a sub and don't need your speakers playing anything below 80hz. I'm not sure what you mean by worth it? Your amp has one, or at least it should. Or if you mean a crossover for a woofer and a tweeter (Speaker), yes a crossover is always worth it. Even if the speaker is a coaxial and has a little crossover built in that is better than no crossover. Without it the woofer will be trying to reproduce the the highs, which it doesn't do very well with out distortion, and the tweeter will be trying to play bass which will cause distortion as well. Crossovers make a huge difference in sound, especially at loud volumes. They allow each driver to play at its optimal frequency range, which is necessary if you want any kind of quality.

finch13 12-10-2008 01:15 PM

What's even better is having a deck with a built in crossover... and time correction.

MacLeod 12-14-2008 11:52 AM

You have to have a crossover for tweeters because if a tweeter trys to play anything much below 1000 Hz, it will shred itself. Theyre just not capable of playing low frequencies.

Variable crossovers are definitely worth it if youre wanting to be able to do as much tuning as possible to get the best sound possible. However if youre just wanting to "plug and play" and have decent sound while you drive around, then they probably are not worth it.

6x9's are a great speaker if you buy a quality product. Generally a round cone is more rigid than an oval one but technology is such today that any quality manufacturer can make an oval cone plenty rigid so as it wont distort. The added benefit is that you have much more cone area which means better low end response.

If you dont want a sub I suggest getting a good set of aftermarket 6x9's, and front speakers as well, and a good stout 4 channel amp - something in the 75-100x4 watt range. This wont have as much output as a sub but it will have a ton more than what youve got now.