Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Accord Speakers/Component set (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/accord-speakers-component-set-46535/)

BlueMagic_12 03-29-2012 12:35 AM

Accord Speakers/Component set

I drive 2012 sedan Accord. I want to keep my stock radio in so i dont mess up the warranty
does anyone have a recommendation on good speakers or component set for front and back??

keep_hope_alive 03-29-2012 07:39 AM

upgrading speakers only will yield medeocre results. adding an external amplifier (with high level inputs and auto turn-on) to power the new speakers will do a much better job and make the effort worth it.

there are many speakers that would work and fit. how much are you willing to spend? can you audition speakers at a local shop? just installing speakers in factory doors will usually suffer from resonance and phase interference. adding seals and even deadeing and sealing up the door are necessary to get good midbass from the new speakers. and as mentioned, an amplifier is needed to really get much out of them.

crispin 03-29-2012 08:49 AM

a few things

1 - c hanging the factory radio to an aftermarket will not effect your warranty, that is a fact.
2 - with that said the quality of the factory head unit is pretty good and it really does not need to be changed out.

3 - I think you need to slow down, I know you are excited that you have a very nice brand new car and want to customize it. You need to think about your goals, research how to get there, then execute.

You can have some very high quality sound in that car if you plan it correctly.

Here is the layout of a basic system that will impress you.

Factory Head Unit
4 - Channel Amp (will be ran as a 3 channel) Kicker IX500.4 (11IX500.4) 4 Channel Class D Car Amplifier

Front Componet Speakers - Image Dynamics CXS64 v.2 6-1/2" Chameleon Component Speakers System

Use the rear factory speakers powered from the head unit

I recommend an efficient 10" subwoofer in a sealed box for the trunk. You can either buy a generic cube style box or better yet I would recommend one made to fit into the side of the trunk.

You will need a 4 gauge (a true one not a knock-off ebay one) amp power kit and sound deadening for the front doors.

Now if this is not the way you want to go then just put the factory speakers back in the front doors cause I assume you have realized what I told you in your other thread is true.

You do not improve the sound in a modern car (like your 2012 Accord) by slapping in a cheap set of front co-axle speakers. That worked in the 90's but it is a different game now. Today's factory systems are much better than they used to be.

Also KHA will have to chime in, but I am pretty sure you have active noise cancelling in your car which will need to be bypassed (super easy to do)

neophyte 03-29-2012 09:06 AM

If you are going to redo the sound I recomend redoing the sound. with a sub you no longer need the bass from the 6x9s. remove them and put a set of quality mids in the deck. put a nice set of components in the front. run them all off of a 4 channel. use a seperate amp for the subs.

I put in one of these clarions in a vehicle (Clarion WQ2510D (WQ25-10D) 10" Dual 4 ohm WQ Car Subwoofer) I was impressed with how effecient it is. you can always got bigger if you feel you need more.

also deadner, deadner and more deadner. you can never have to much.

keep_hope_alive 03-29-2012 12:23 PM

all good points.

another speaker option is Hybrid Audio Technolgies - Imagine I62-1 components.

CaptainCrunch 04-02-2012 10:52 AM

A good sound system will only be as good as the $$$ you sink into it. Like you I wanted better sound after getting my 2011 coupe last fall. 6 months later and I have easily invested $2500 into it.

Alpine Typr R 60c Componets 110 watts RMS
Alpine Type R 60 coaxils rear 100 watts RMS
Alpine Type R SWR 1043D Sub 600 watts RMS
Hertz HDP 5 amp 77x4 @ 4ohms and 562x1 @ 2ohms sub channel
Audio Control LC6i

Plus I Dynamated my doors both inner and outter skin, and put bulk pack of Raamat BTX II in the trunk. Once you get going it's hard to stop...lol

Either way you will get good feed back from the peeps on here, and just remember it's all about what you want and what you want to spend.

neophyte 04-02-2012 01:22 PM

I have to disagree with the statement that a good system is only as good as the money you sink into it. Yes it takes money to have a nice system especially buying mainstream brands like alpine. but the work and quality of the install affects the sound 10 fold of what the money does. good seals, taking the time to make good connections, quality work is what yields good results. if you dont believe me go on youtube and search johnathan price. and see the hack job installation he has in his truck that he paid a **** ton of money for.

edit: dont worry about searching it. here is what I am talking about. and we are talking 10k or more for this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KRSY...a7FAAAAAAAAPAA

CaptainCrunch 04-02-2012 02:23 PM

but the work and quality of the install affects the sound 10 fold of what the money does. good seals, taking the time to make good connections, quality work is what yields good results.
You are correct, which cost $$$ if your having a trusted professional or business do it. I had one of the top custom install places in my area, one that has been in busniess for 27 yrs do my install. It cost $$$$ and the job was outstanding, even had James build my custom down firing Sud box, James has been doing custom installs and builds for 12 yrs at that same location, and I did the sound deadening myself which cost me about $300 in materials, but saved my about as much in labor.

So yes, your car audio system will sound as good as the $$$ you spend doing it. FYI, I went and dug out my invoice and total spent was $3163.88 not counting the the $300 I spent on deadener.

neophyte 04-02-2012 03:42 PM

tommy mckinnie or KOB customs is one of the leaders in car audio. (the shop that did jps build) and agian 10k+ spent doing it. again it comes to quality of work. that piece of garbage install cost $$$. the difference in yours and that one is quality. the shop you got your work done at did quality work (or I am assuming they did. you seem happy with the install). the money spent had little to do with the way it sounded. out side of the equipment you bought (around $1500) you paid for the quality work and that cost you money. jp paid for work that cost him more money and probably got less quality than you did. while it is true if you are going to pay someone quality work does cost money. but **** work can cost money too. the money is not what makes your sound good and is not what is going to make his sound good. the work that goes into the install is what is going to make the difference.

and in all honesty the most impressive builds I have seen have not come out of car audio shops. they come from the blood, sweat, and tears of the people who want their car to sound good and wont accept others work because it is sub par to what they invision.

keep_hope_alive 04-02-2012 07:38 PM

no need for a pissing match. for example:

i have $150 in my front stage speakers (Vifa/Dayton/Silver Flute), $90 in 12 yr old subs (Oz 300H), $800 in 10+ yr old amps bought on closeout (xtant)... but 400 hrs in install/labor + 100 hrs in testing to make it sound sweet. but i'm not bragging about how great it may be. it makes me happy, and that's all that matters. besides, i'll change it all (again) anyway.

compared to the Scion I did with $6k+ and 100+ hrs, he and I are both good. hard to pick a favorite.

getting a decent sounding system is easy. and decent is what most people asking questions in a forum are in search of. it takes some money, requires some thought and time, and an installer who is SQ minded/experienced.

getting something you can take 1st in world finals - that's very few and far between regardless of money invested and hours spent.

When i think of great installers - i think of Steve Brown and Chris Yato