Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Advice with speaker replacement (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/advice-speaker-replacement-38912/)

Sufler 03-20-2011 01:14 PM

Advice with speaker replacement

Hey, guys. I'd appreciate any input with this particular situation as this is the first time ever that I've dealt with any electronics modification on my car.

I have a '94 4-door Accord DX. A few days ago one of my stock rear speakers blew out and I chose to replace it. After researching online, I decided that the most value based option for me was to replace both of my rear speakers with the Sony Xplod XS-R1644 6-1/2" 4-Way Speakers available at Wal-Mart for less than $50. I went in with the blown out speaker to compare them and they seem almost identical except that the stock is a 2-way, Sony's a 4-way - does that affect anything?

My question is: How do I connect the wiring? I thought I was going to be able to remove the connector clip from the original speaker and simply solder it onto the new speakers - however; the clip is riveted onto the original speaker. What do I do? Do I find replacement clips? I noticed that WalMart had 'em but all varied by auto maker.

Here's what I'm thinking: jump online and find proper speaker clip connectors - solder the male end to the new speakers - cut the female clip off the wires in the drunk and attach the new clip with electric tape.

Thank you!

P.S.
I'm also thinking of updating my stock stereo system to one that can actually play CD's but I've found this to be all the guide I need... I think. :-)
http://www.installdr.com/installdocs...pdf/466037.pdf

Sufler 03-20-2011 05:17 PM

I think I found the answer to my wiring issue...

YouTube - Installing the new rear speakers in the accord. Part 1.

64tinc 03-20-2011 09:15 PM

I am in the same boat trying to put speakers in a 2009 EX Honda need rear speakers first

neophyte 03-20-2011 09:39 PM

i would take the connection off. get the correct electrical connections that go to aftermarket speakers. usually they are cheap and you can buy them in packs of different quantities. crimp those on and not solder to the speaker. also if you are going to go through all the work to replace the head unit and what not i would suggest saving up and not buying sony. i understand for a quick replacement you do what you need to. but if you are going to plan it out and do some stereo work i would plan to spend a little more money. i think you would be much happier.

http://www.connectorsupply.com/catal...connectors.JPG
these are the connectors i was talking about.

keep_hope_alive 03-21-2011 05:47 PM

those connectors are called "female disconnects" and they are available in a variety of sizes. This is where i buy mine:
DISCONNECT TERMINALS from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog.

Soldering wire to the speaker terminal is a much nicer connection. it is more secure, offers less resistance, and is overall the best choice. Granted, you need to desolder wires to remove the speaker, but that isn't an issue for most people.

i don't like bashing, but 4-way Sony speakers are on the very bottom of my list. $50 is cheap, and i understand the budget concerns. You would have been better off buying used speakers on ebay. Most 6x9's worth listening to are $200 a pair. as a general rule for car audio, if Walmart sells it, you don't want it. :)

if you buy products through Crutchfield they give you the speaker wire terminal adapter for free. they also include instructions and provide great customer service. I recommend Crutchfield to anyone with limited experience wanting to DIY. Metra sells the factory speaker wire adapter, but cutting and soldering the factory wire is fine. it's not like you will be putting factory speakers back in.

neophyte 03-21-2011 08:03 PM

mb quart makes a series called onx that got really high reviews for sq and they run under 100 a pair new on sonicelectronix.com

not to hijack a thread but that was what i was thinking of purchasing. your thoughts?

depending on what Keep_hope_alive says OP you may want to look into those.

keep_hope_alive 03-21-2011 10:01 PM

MB Quart is owned by Maxxonics now. Their entry level is decent, good enough for many and much better than Sony.

I heard some Hertz High Energy 6x9's that were pretty good. $350.

64tinc 03-30-2011 10:06 PM

I went to a local installer yesterday and they put in Infinity speakers up front with a spacer so the window would roll up and they sound great now much better than the little speakers they took out. I now need to find a bass tube for the back maybe get a little bazooka to get bass in the back seat as the store said they would have to cut the rear deck some to put anything back there. Thinking I can just hook up a tube and remove the rear speaker wires and only have bass in the back now. What do you think of this idea?

keep_hope_alive 04-02-2011 08:26 AM

I am often a proponent of no rear speakers when a sub is installed back there.