Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Aftermarket 2003 Accord audio (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/aftermarket-2003-accord-audio-19523/)

dhillon09 07-04-2008 09:19 PM

Aftermarket 2003 Accord audio

Hey guys, i've posted something similar here before (months back) but now I got all the gear and money in my pocket to get it done right.

I have 2 kicker comp VX's (10 inch)
one hifonics amp (1100 watts @ 2 ohm (What I'll be running), 1600 @ 1 ohm)

Now here's my dilemma, a local shop has quoted me for the install at something around,

- 4 Ga. Amp install kit + labour $180
- Custom built enclosure (ported) $320
- Line out converter $50
- Yellow top $260
- Upgrade big three $120 including terminals and alt wire
- Hushmat $100-300 or so.

So the total will be around $1000. A lot, I know, especially for components that are not on the ultra high spectrum of things.

My big question here is how big of a difference will a custom box make? I don't want some cheap crap, but if the difference isn't that great, I don't see why I couldn't just get a bassworks box (10inch x2, ported). If anyone has any insight, please post and save me $300.

I realize I will definitely need the big 3 upgraded (for $120..jeez), obviously the $180 amp install + labor, and obviously the line out converter. But that's only $350.

another question i keep asking myself is if I want reliability is a yellow top really necessary for 1100 watts? Is dynamat really necessary? and is the custom box really necessary?

I was going to pay the $1000 for it, but when I look around and see other people's installs that were done for much cheaper, it makes me think. This is going to be mine for awhile, so don't you guys agree that I shouldn't cheap out, and go hard or go home?(My friends have tried to make me think otherwise, telling me to just go to circuit city with a generic box and get it installed).

slammed97 07-04-2008 10:14 PM

RE: Aftermarket 2003 Accord audio

I think you should get a JL Cleansweep and ditch the line output converter.

What is your main reason for getting a custom enclosure? Is it so you have a good quality box that fits exactly the way you want it or is it just to make sure you get a good quality box?

Battery: What is the current draw of that amp? Do you plan on upgrading mids/highs at some point and adding another amp for them? You might be fine with just a red top.

Get Dynamat through the whole trunk and possibly the doors as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Briggz 07-04-2008 10:20 PM

I'm not gonna be much help about the box; I got my subs already in a QLogic box. You do NOT have to spend fifty bucks on a line out converter. This is a total ripoff. I got mine on ebay for 7. No problems yet. You can get a much higher quality one if you really want for probably 20-30.

I haven't done any of the yellow top or dynamat stuff... I haven't seen the need to yet, and if you are worried about money, DON'T get it now. Get the other stuff done first, and if you later feel the need for a yellow top, or sound deadener, go for it.

This is all just IMHO.

dhillon09 07-04-2008 11:05 PM

So you're pushing 1200 watts? Please gimme some more info on your set up, i'll try checking out your cardomain though .. (I checked briggz, no help, some details would be nice lol)

I honestly have nothing against the stock accord system, I think it sounds very nice, so no I wouldn't be upgrading my components (anytime soon anyways), so stock battery is ok? Price diff. between red/yellow top isn't so great, so if I do upgrade battery i will definitely get the red top.

I want a custom made box mostly for the better and louder sound. My friend has w6's in a custom set up and they hit very hard. Has anyone heard the difference, how noticeable is it?

Dynamat I will probably not get yet, if the shaking and vibrating is real bad I'll definitely have to consider it.

And is there a big sound difference between clean sweep and the line out converter?

slammed97 07-05-2008 08:41 AM

As far as getting a custom box so it sounds good: I think if you used a good quality box such as a Q-logic or comparable that meets the speaker manufacturer's specs you will be in good shape.

I think you thought with the dynamat is fine.

The cleansweep is a full DSP that integrates with your factory system.

pham9006 07-05-2008 01:50 PM

u could try to install your 4 guage kit urself..that wud save money on the install labor. Its honestly not that hard at all. I installed my kit in my car when i was 17 with no knowledge about cars at all. It took me about 5 days b/c i took my time cuz didnt want to break a clip or anything.

dhillon09 07-05-2008 01:56 PM

Would I get deeper bass with cleansweep or is the difference negligable? I already think the accord stock system has some decent bass.

Do you guys think I'm getting a decent price for a professional install from a respected local shop? A grand on install seems kinda steep, but it should sound great.

pham9006 07-05-2008 02:01 PM

u could just install everything urself and save urself a lot of money and if it doesnt hit hard enough upgrade ur subs.

my opinon u shud get 12's..
just my thought..

dhillon09 07-05-2008 03:19 PM

I already got 2 10 inch CVX's sitting here along with an amp.

I'm thinking of holding off on the yellowtop and dynamat,

Just get the line out converter $50, install $180, custom box $320 and big 3 $120.

Ahh what the hell I think I'll get a yellowtop too. It's only going to be around $950 plus tax so it's not that bad. I only say this because I just got paid yesterday and only need about $300 (another paycheck) and I can get it installed.

How long does it usually take to get a custom box made and installed? The shops quite a distance away.

Briggz 07-05-2008 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: dhillon09

So you're pushing 1200 watts? Please gimme some more info on your set up, i'll try checking out your cardomain though .. (I checked briggz, no help, some details would be nice lol)

My subs are each 1200 watts. So I have 2400 watts. My amp is a competition Premier amp which is rated at 400 rms, but I would be surprised if it was actually anywhere near that low. I have to keep the gain turned way down in order to not overpower the speakers, haha. But yeah, I have a cheap-ass line converter from ebay, that hasn't gone bad yet (over a year later) so don't be fooled into spending 50 bucks on one. I'm not sure what guage my power wire is, but I can check that out and get back to you in a bit. But yeah, I've been in cars that bump... and mine bumps harder, promise. Haha.:D