Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Alarm/Remote Start suggestions please. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/alarm-remote-start-suggestions-please-12434/)

Kai Winters 09-11-2007 08:37 PM

Alarm/Remote Start suggestions please.

Hi all,
I just bought an '04 Accord EX 4dr 4cyl and while it has the factory keyless lock key/fob security system I want to have either a remote start or remote start/alarm installed.
I am looking at some Viper and Prestige/Audiovox models. My last car had a Hornet alarm/start system and I loved it...missing remoter start lol.
What are your suggestions, comments, etc.?
My price range is $300 to $500 not including the module key or keyless needed. This price includes install from my local shop. They recommend the Viper 791XV for $550and I like the 160XVL remote start too. They also recommend the Prestige APS-997 for $500.
Thanks,
Kai

falkore24 09-12-2007 08:11 AM

RE: Alarm/Remote Start suggestions please.

Mine cost $400 installed. I forgot the brand, but it's a combination alarm/auto-starter. It has functions to keep the car running and allow you to remove the key (for picking up laundry) and a delayed turn-off timer (I don't use it --- it's for cooling down a turbo). It also has auto-arming, auto-rearm and a few other automatic functions (all of which I have disabled -- I want it to only do what I tell it to).

I paid an additional $35 for an ignition relay to be installed to protect my starter. This is important since it is not natural to turn the key to 'on' without 'starting' it. The relay disables the starter when the car is running on 'auto-start' mode.

Also, the shop had to order a "special" relay from Honda to bypass the factory alarm when in 'auto-start' mode (didn't cost me anything). Without this, the autostarter would start the car and set off the factory alarm if I didn't unlock/disarm first.

Now it functions properly, but I think I'm going to get a horn relay added since my airhorns are much louder than the siren.

Kai Winters 09-12-2007 02:28 PM

Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.

falkore24 09-12-2007 02:39 PM

No problem!

BTW - the reason that nobody else is on here is that you don't have a signature per the posting rules.

Kai Winters 09-12-2007 05:56 PM

Sheesh...noob!
Thanks again.

I have my signature in my profile but it will not show up. Hmm wonder what I am doing wrong? My avatar shows though hmmm. Any suggestions?
Oops think I have it figured out.

falkore24 09-12-2007 09:00 PM

Thanks for fixing that!

pyaarawala 09-12-2007 10:29 PM

Viper 791XV for $550? Talk about a rip-off. I got mine $350 installed and I think I paid a little too much. You can get it for $180 and have it installed for around $100 or so. It's a great alarm/remote start.

Kai Winters 09-13-2007 08:29 PM

I too thought their price was too high based on my internet research...thank goodness for "googling" lol.
I am still not sure what direction to go. I live in a very, very low crime area...that means in the boondocks of Northern NY...garage the car when at home and work parking is not a security issue. My biggest threat is the mall. The factory alarm seems adequate though living in the Boston area, high crime rate, saw my car well defended with a very nice Hornet system, and the factory alarm does make me think twice about replacing it.
I also think the 2 way comms is a bit overkill for my needs. When starting the car at home it is in my garage and I see the lights flash and hear it start. At work I walk outside and hit the remote start, in my old car, and do the same as in the garage. I can see the 2 way comms being very valuable for the alarm, when triggered, but otherwise I do not need such a feature.
I would gladly buy another Hornet system like I had but it is 6 years old and out of date I suppose.
Frustrating but fun at the same time.
Thanks for the input.

jnunez 02-14-2008 09:17 AM

I miss my automatic starter thats what sucks about having manual