Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   amp (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/amp-56723/)

jap13 09-23-2013 02:34 PM

amp

i'm having a NEW rockford/fosgate T1000-4 amp installed, with 4 infinity 6.1 speakers/ crossovers/tweeters. audio shop says i may need to install multiple alternators/batteries? is there a heavier duty alternator/battery i can use instead of multiples? and what about digital stiffening capacitors?

poorman212 09-24-2013 05:30 PM

Welcome to HAF.

I've moved this to the audio section where better help will come.....I only know how to turn the knob to make the music louder :)

You might also want to give some details about the car....year, engine, trim level, ect....so people can give better answers.

keep_hope_alive 09-26-2013 04:30 PM

we do need more info, but with that amp you don't need anything other than a good starting battery. i prefer AGM.

jap13 09-27-2013 12:50 PM

amp?

2000 accord EX V6. rockford fosgate T1000 4 CHANNEL amp, 4 infinity kappa 6.1 speakers. audio shop says i need an alternator that puts out 320 amps minimum. actual output of amp is 350 watts/channel-1400 watts total.
ordered 2, 220 amp alternators. not sure if i can fit 2 alts. is audio guy just blowing smoke? and if not, do i have ANY other options to be able to run this amp?
i'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has a 4 channel amp with this much power, that has made it work? and how?

keep_hope_alive 09-28-2013 07:59 AM

they are blowing smoke. you would need to be running an 8,000+Watt sub stage to need that much alternator output.

a speaker amp will be very low power, like a few hundred watts. a stock alt is fine for that. the rated power will NEVER be achieved, as it would be unlistenable. Music is dynamic and power output is usually in the 30-40Watt per channel range when at high volumes. speakers are very efficient.

what the shop isn't telling you is that the ELD will turn the alt off (any alt) and prevent charging the battery. i have a bypass sticky on that.

you cannot fit anything other than one 220A alt on the V6. unless you plan on fabricating a bracket, modding the PCM output, modding the hood, and getting a longer belt (obviously). it would be wasted money anyway.

i have put MUCH more power than that on a stock alt (same as our accords) with no issues.

the easy answer is to put the amp in and see for yourself. i don't recommend "fixing" voltage problems until they are a problem. Honda's ELD can make it look like there is a problem when there isn't.

keep_hope_alive 09-28-2013 08:14 AM

the small capacitors are useless (1F-5F). the larger 20F-50F products are moderately useful. a buddy has a high power JL audio system (much more than your plans) and a stock alt with a 20F stinger cap. he has no issues.

I run a bank of six 2.7V 3,000Farad ultracapacitors in series for a combined total of 500F (caps add in series like resistors add in parallel).
http://www.maxwell.com/products/ultr...es_1015370.pdf

these are legitimate ultra caps. i have put them in three high power vehicles and adding in two more. the shop guys will not know about them unless they are SPL competitors in a specific class/org. they are fairly new. since they are 2.7V each we add them in series to get to a 16V rating.

neophyte 09-28-2013 09:25 PM

I would not get work done at that shop anymore. they are trying to make money off of you not knowing, instead of providing you with what you want.
anytime someone trys to sell you a bunch of stuff you need to go with it question them and then research the reasons they give you.

for example what brand alternator are they suggesting. then call that company and ask if they even make that. like KHA said a 320 amp is a huge alt.

I have heard that you can have one built to run in reverse in order to put two on an accord, but it would never be warranted like that.

and while 350 watts is a lot of power for mids and highs in a daily driver, even if you did reach 1400 watts, at most you would need a little extra power storage. 1400 is not that much power when you are looking at amperage draw.

I can tell you for reference, I am running two 2500 watt amps to the sub (clamped them two days ago and pulling 3k rms to the subs at 41hz.) and a 400 watt amp for mids and highs. I have a 275 amp alternator charging at 15.2 volts and 1 high end battery under the hood, and 1 AGM battery in the trunk. I have very little voltage drop unless I am burping. as far as listening to music I never have any issues.

jap13 09-29-2013 01:04 PM

amp?

thanks for the info! i had gone to an alternator shop that the AUDIO guy had reccomended, and they had also told me i needed 320 amp alt., or two. then i went to another auto electric shop, and the guy looked at me as though i was crazy. he himself had run a 1400 watt amp with a phoenix gold 10 farad power grid. he ran stock alternator, and stock battery, with no problem. AUDIO guy says if i try to run bass from R/F amp into these infinity speakers, i will blow them. electric shop guy says just turn down the bass gain, and i should be fine. i knew AUDIO guy just wanted to sell product, but i wanted confirmation. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

poorman212 09-29-2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jap13 (Post 332560)
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Our pleasure...yes, even though I was of no help. It is nice to see members/Mods help someone find an answer and for someone to come back with the solution :)