Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Audio question (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/audio-question-46575/)

Tyler Joyce 05-08-2012 10:29 AM

Definetly looks like a solid box to me. Whats the air space per driver on that thing? Looks a little small. I was under the impression you needed more air space if your going ported?

Littles21520 05-08-2012 06:11 PM

Not too sure bro... Each woofer had a recomended gross air space of 3.4cf but how he figured out the specs for both of them firing out the same port I have no idea lol sound awesome thou!!! Jack did a hella of a job!!! Taking it back to be carpeted and for some sound dampening material ... My poor car is gonna fall apart lol

Littles21520 05-08-2012 06:15 PM

Also installed a alternator from "EXCESSIVE AMPERAGE" ... Works great! ( thanks Nate )

Littles21520 05-08-2012 06:18 PM

Oh and thanks "CRISPIN" for posting the pictures for me!

keep_hope_alive 05-08-2012 09:11 PM

nice work, guys

neophyte 05-08-2012 09:40 PM

to answer tylers question. you do need more airspace for ported boxes. doesnt look terribly small, maybe a little. it seems like as the box grows in size air space starts adding up quickly, especially in cube style boxes. you have to remember you only loose the wood thickness. when the pieces are close together then that .75 or 1.5 in border eats a lot of space. once you get some significance size you add airspace quickly and dont loose much space to material.

keep_hope_alive 05-08-2012 09:46 PM

"more airspace to go ported" is relative.

box volume Vb affects the overall Q of the system. for SQ, you typically shoot for a Q of 0.707.

Tyler Joyce 05-09-2012 12:40 AM

A friend told me ported boxes only really add 3db increase is actual volume. How accurate is that?

neophyte 05-09-2012 06:36 PM

kha, I would assume that going for 2 15s they are going for spl not sq. generally speaking a manufacturer will suggest a higher box volume for a ported box than for a sealed box is what I was meaning.

tyler, it is hard to say it adds 3db. there are a lot of factors that affect how loud something is. also the louder you already are the harder it is to get that 1 db gain. at 100 dbs you can turn the volume knob up a little and gain a db at 150 you can not gain an entire db as easily. ports also are not standard. one port is not the same as another just as one box is not the same as another and one car is not the same as another.

keep_hope_alive 05-09-2012 11:25 PM

THe common theory is that a vented box gives a 3dZb addition because the rear wave combines with the front, but after traveling some distance to be in-phase with the front. Also, you get more excursion compared to sealed.

Depending on the design, you can get more than 3dB compared to sealed.

People say they want SPL, but they use the system for music every day. Even a Q=0.707 will be stupid loud.