Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Can i just install a higher farad cap. instead of doing the big 3? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/can-i-just-install-higher-farad-cap-instead-doing-big-3-a-28133/)

Rob (215) 09-23-2009 01:58 AM

Can i just install a higher farad cap. instead of doing the big 3?

Right now everythings stock but when i throw the system in i was wondering if it's more simpler to install lets say a 10 or 20 farad cap on a 1000 watt bass system to cover any potential v. drops on those low bass hits rather than messing with the big 3. When this system was in my ford i was using a 2 farad cap and it did very little on it's purpose, as if it wasn't enough capacity to keep the voltage from dropping on those long and low bass cuts. I was told if you go really big on the cap not a light in the car will make a flinch no matter how hard it hits but im not sure if that would be safe to do so like that. If anyone has a clue with what i'm feeling right now let me know, i'm really trying to avoid rewiring everything. Thanks, rob.

My03Accord 09-23-2009 10:34 AM

You can go with the cap, but its only going to work as good as your electrical system. i.e. your ground path from your amp, cap, and most important battery to ground. The big 3 helps your electrical system overall with the quality return path to ground for no matter the circuit. In my opinion and installation expertise, i'm going to say you can go ahead with your cap, but also just take the extra time and do the big 3. Can't go wrong with that. Your amp will be happy as well as your car and her performance.

lotz6996 09-23-2009 02:37 PM

for a 1,000 watt amp you only need a 1 farad cap. 1 farad = 1000 watts. generaly. dont remember the exact terms but thats what it boils down to.

My03Accord 09-23-2009 03:25 PM

1 farad cap doesn't equal 1000watts. Thats what the packaging says as a rule of thumb. A cap is only going to do as good as the battery. If the ground path to the car isn't sufficient, the battery has to put out that much more...ie headlight dim. Do the big 3. Don't half ass it.

t00fatt 09-23-2009 03:51 PM

If your electrical system is in good shape, and done properly you shouldn't need a cap until you start getting over 1500w or so. Not to mention your amps will never run at their max RMS rating 100% of the time even when blasting your music. Subs with bass heavy music will get close though at high levels. If your under 1000w and having dimming problem then you have a problem with your electrical system, be it a weak alt, corroded terminals and wires, anything that will add resistance. That's not too say a small cap ins't beneficial, problem is today everyone wants to see big numbers. A bigger cap isn't always better, at least for your alternator and battery. As quickly as a cap can discharge, it can recharge which can put an additional strain on your electrical system. As with everything it's all about balance. But don't think for a second a cap can eliminate the need for a big three upgrade. The stock wires are TINY, and if your running any kind of audio system it needs to be upgraded.

Rob (215) 09-23-2009 09:19 PM

Ok so basically if I do the big 3 in the accord by itself I shouldn't have an issue with anything flickering because my electrical system is fine as far as everything being stock of course. So I'm thinking should I even bother using my 2 farad cap when I'm ready to install the system?

t00fatt 09-23-2009 10:27 PM

Without any cap and a big sub amp blasting bass heavy music there will be minimal dimming, even with the big three. A drop more than 0.3v is going to affect your sound. Less than that will be fine, but you will notice slight dimming on your halogen lights. A cap, especially a 2F, will smooth that out completely which is technically better. So if you have the cap you may as well run it. If your only getting drops of 0.1v-0.2v swap out your lights for LEDs and HIDs, they won't dim at all with small drops like that, and they look better.