Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   custom boxes (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/custom-boxes-764/)

theycallmerickjames 06-30-2005 03:20 AM

custom boxes

Has anyone got a custom built box in their car?

I'm building a box for a guy with a hyundai tiburon. I'm making a mold in the corner of his car out of fiberglass. From the factory they come with a sub, and he likes the way it looks in there, he just wants MORE BOOM BOOM (his words, not mine) So i'm gonna make something that looks somewhat like that. I've done it before in my best friends Tahoe, but i didn't charge him for it being that it was my best friend. But i do remember that it WAS A BIATCH!

so my question is, what do u think i should charge for this? i'm already making him buy all the materials, but what would u be willing to pay in labor for something like this? Not to be cocky, but i do good work so i don't want to go TOO cheap, but i don't want to scare him off either.... so what would u suggest?

6thgen 06-30-2005 11:28 AM

RE: custom boxes

I've built some interesting boxes, mdf, fiberglass, whatever. I'd rather not in my current car.

Something like that would run from $300-700 easily, if not more. Depends more on how long it's gonna take you and how much you want per hour. The cost of materials is low. Working with fiberglass is of course more. If it's just wood...cut em a break with like $200-400.

theycallmerickjames 06-30-2005 12:36 PM

the only thing that is going to be mdf is the actual mounting ring itself, the rest is all fiberglass

6thgen 06-30-2005 12:45 PM

$400+

accorddriverc 07-01-2005 11:06 AM

I have a friend doing custom boxes in the trunk of my accord for my 12's. One is hooked up and working and the other one will be done next week. the boxes fit on each side of the trunkbehind the tails. Mine are made out of mdf, but even still it would have been about $400 + if I had a shop do it.

theycallmerickjames 07-02-2005 01:28 AM

take some pics, i wanna see what yours looks like

WheelBrokerAng 07-02-2005 02:50 PM

The old saying about what to charge is the, If you charge too little it makes prople think you are doing shoddy work, if you charge too much-it makes people feel you are putting the financial screws too them.

Always be firm about what you charge because it then sets a way for you to be consistent in your products and services.

Never let that be forgotten or you might as well close your business doors...

WheelBrokerAng[sm=pimp.gif]

accorddriverc 07-18-2005 10:04 AM

I will try to take some pics today or tomorrow