Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Dimming Lights in '99 AV6 EX-L (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/dimming-lights-99-av6-ex-l-1577/)

DVan8504 12-30-2005 09:10 PM

Dimming Lights in '99 AV6 EX-L

Even when the car was stock, the lights dimmed when I do anything that requires a little juice (windows, seat, etc.). I have since added a new head unit, 4 coaxials (non-amped), and a sub and amp running around 400wrms. The lights dim pretty bad when the sub hits, but it's not the system since lights were dimming beforehand. Some facts:
1)Alternator is good (had it checked)
2)Battery is not the issue because I replaced the battery hoping it was, and it didn't resolve the problem.
3)Lights do not dim AT ALL when revs are raised to 3k rpms or more, somewhere in there. I've read this might mean that the alternator just doesn't put out enough juice to run everything sufficiently at or near idle, but I can't be giving it gas ALL the time.

Any ideas guys? I'm getting really frustrated.

Alizezaccord 01-06-2006 08:07 PM

RE: Dimming Lights in '99 AV6 EX-L

Try using a Farad Cap. It also could be a bad electrical feed.

coombs 01-09-2006 08:36 PM

I got a 2000 Accord V6 2dr LX coupe.

Same issue with the lights dimming. The car is totaly stock, but when at idle lights (both headlights and dash lights) will dim every 5 seconds. Worse when the turn signal is on! Is a turn signal enough load to cause dimming?

Alternator and battery are 2 months old.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

stevephy 02-02-2006 09:34 AM

I have a similar issue with my ride - 2000 V-6 LX Coupe. I'm going to be doing a full install soon, and will be replacing just about everything electrical - or at least everything envolved with the charging system. If you haven't taken a look at TAS Auto.com, do so! It's like Accord-Overload! They have many electrical parts that might help. Also, if you haven't gotten a Haynes manual for your car yet, do it; it's critical knowledge of the how, what and why of your car. I'm definately not a wrench, but will be attempting to do as much work on my car as possible. Anyways, I'll try to get things rolling along with the install.

Steve

marbro 02-02-2006 10:18 AM

You have you keep in mind that stock the alternator puts out about 80 amp's. This is not at idle, this is at about 2400 rpms. The headlights of a car use up about 20 to 30 amps, turn signal..... 5 amps? not sure on that one. The deck uses about 2 to 15 amps depending on how its designed. A 400 watt amp uses about 35 to 60 amps depending on how its designed. A stock car is not ment to run any form of amplified sound system. Your best choice is a Farad Cap as Alizeaccord said. I have a 140 amp alternator and a second battery and the lights still dim at idle at idle the alternator only puts out 70 amps for me, but i have a 1200watt sub amp and a 400 watt amplified in cab speakers. I still need to get a 1 farad cap to supplement the second battery. So yeah, 1600watts is enough to tax 2 batteries and 70amps at idle. Other considerations, upgrade your ground wires it will help things flow better in the end. Oh, and a 140 amp alternator costs more then a 1 farad cap.