Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

quick final impedance question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Default quick final impedance question...

when wiring 4 SVC 4 ohm subs to a mono...they will be wired either to 4 ohm or 1 ohm right?....or is it 4 ohm or 1 ohm??...what im trying to do is wire all four in a parallel... not in a series...or at least down to 2 ohm...

EDIT: i meant 4ohm or 1ohm or either 4ohm or 2ohm..im sure u got it tho..lol

Last edited by AccordLXMaster; 08-26-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Unless I'm overlooking something your only usable option is going to be 4ohms, unless your amp can handle a 1 ohm load. I know I'm going to lose you here so just try and read it 100 times before asking me to re explain. There are two ways to go about it, this is one of them. Separate the four into two pairs. Wire each pair in parallel, each pair now has a load of 2 ohms. Now you can think of each pair as one 2 ohm sub, then wire both pairs together in series to bring the final load to 4 ohms.

EDIT: I'm pretty stoned right now, and never worked with four drivers but I don't see why this wouldn't work. Here is a quick diagram of what I explained above. I'll draw up another of the other way, and right now I'm thinking the other way might be better. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in.

Ok while I'm pretty sure both will work, I know this one will work. Both will give you a final load of 4 ohms, just not sure if something weird will happen with the first set, I doubt it but I'm just not sure.
untitled1-1.jpg?t=1251243050
RE-EDIT: Now that I'm a bit more clear headed, both will work just fine. I actually used to have my 15"s wired like the first one. Although it was two DVC subs, but this is the same except each coil is in a separate driver.

Last edited by t00fatt; 08-25-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:29 PM

If your amp is stable to a 1ohm load, you can go down to 1.6ohms by wiring one pair in series and the other in parallel. Then with the two left over pairs, finish it all at a parallel load. Make sure that each sub has their own chamber in their respected boxes. Never share air space.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt
Unless I'm overlooking something your only usable option is going to be 4ohms, unless your amp can handle a 1 ohm load. I know I'm going to lose you here so just try and read it 100 times before asking me to re explain. There are two ways to go about it, this is one of them. Separate the four into two pairs. Wire each pair in parallel, each pair now has a load of 2 ohms. Now you can think of each pair as one 2 ohm sub, then wire both pairs together in series to bring the final load to 4 ohms.

EDIT: I'm pretty stoned right now, and never worked with four drivers but I don't see why this wouldn't work. Here is a quick diagram of what I explained above. I'll draw up another of the other way, and right now I'm thinking the other way might be better. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in.

Ok while I'm pretty sure both will work, I know this one will work. Both will give you a final load of 4 ohms, just not sure if something weird will happen with the first set, I doubt it but I'm just not sure.

RE-EDIT: Now that I'm a bit more clear headed, both will work just fine. I actually used to have my 15"s wired like the first one. Although it was two DVC subs, but this is the same except each coil is in a separate driver.
funny t00fatt but i actually tried that..lol..u didnt lose me at all...its weird bcuz like i stated b4...my amp does not give a rating for 1 ohm...so technically its not 1 ohm stable...but honestly...i have lets see...ok whew i may lose u here so listen up..lol...

i have a L7 15" in a ported box....its a dual 4ohm....its wired in parallel with the coils

the two subs i have are two pioneer subs..some silver model 12" in a sealed box and they are also wired in parallel but they are only SVC 4ohm..

so technically i have 2 2ohm sets if u wanna put it like that..wire them in parallel and i have 1ohm correct??..well its wired like that now and man is it completely LOUD!!! like nothing ive ever heard before...and my amp is just straight chillin..played it for about 20 mins too so...what im really wondering is how in the hell do i figure out how many watts this thing is puttin out that way i know not to turn it up very loud and blow my pioneers....theyre only like 150rms a piece...so..theres my problem...theres no distortion as of now but the excursion is a bytch..lol...they move like nobodys business

Old 08-26-2009, 09:04 PM

If your amp doesn't support 1ohm, it will clip. Enough clipping will hurt your subs, and your amp will get hot.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 PM

hmm...clipping...but remember i had the L5 DVC 2ohm wired in parallel which means it was a 1 ohm correct??....and my amp is only 2 ohm stable from what specs say yet...it played fine for like 7 months....no distortion and sub wasnt damaged at all...but like u say sometimes u cant hear the clipping bcuz its in the amp not the sub....yet wudnt the amp have blown at least a fuse or somethin??...overheat and shut off...be damaged??...none of the above has happened...and ive had the amp for almost a year now...so...i get what ur sayinng but somethins not adding up...

Old 08-27-2009, 12:07 AM

If it was clipping you would know it for sure. This would be audible from the sub in the form of distortion. Clipping can be found in the forms of the clipped waveform having more area underneath it than the smaller maximum unclipped waveform. In turn the amplifier produces more output power sounding like distortion, which will damage the speaker by producing more heat. Then in a short time turning your subwoofer into something as usefull as a brick. The other form of clipping produces harmonics at higher frequencies than the unclipped signal forcing the sub to play frequencies well out of its range...say around the tweeter's frequency range, and again causing distortion. But from what it sounds like you've had the amp playing at 1ohm before and in fact may be a 1ohm stable even though not specified. Kenwood mono amps are known for this. If there was a problem and the amp would see it as such, it would go into a form of protection by shutting the amp down until disconnected or yes blowing one of the fuses on the amp, or even the main at the battery.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by AccordLXMaster
...but like u say sometimes u cant hear the clipping bcuz its in the amp not the sub
Never said anything like that, if I said anything like that is was maybe that you might not heat the distortion and just think it's louder. I've seen a few people think that the distortion is just how the sub sounds at that volume.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt
Never said anything like that, if I said anything like that is was maybe that you might not heat the distortion and just think it's louder. I've seen a few people think that the distortion is just how the sub sounds at that volume.
my mistake...but yes that might be how i just believe its supposed to sound....because how am i going to tell you how to fly a plane if i have never been in the cockpit you get me??...so really i jus go by what i hear to say yeah thats how its supposed to sound when really i have no idea what the standard is supposed to sound like....but when i hooked up the L7 and the two subs yes it did play louder but after a while the amp shut off..with the protection light on...so now it makes alotta sense...but what still tickles me is about the L5 when it was DVC 2ohm...and i played it on the same amp....hmm..maybe not as much of a demand of power tho right??....and thanx My03Accord i get it alot more about the clipping...