Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Factory built nav vrs garmin built nav (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/factory-built-nav-vrs-garmin-built-nav-65445/)

Teammuncie 01-29-2018 03:26 PM

Factory built nav vrs garmin built nav

I'm new so I'm not sure this is the spot to ask this silly question but here goes. Looking at buying 2015 to 2017 Honda Accord coupe within the next 6 months and would like to find one that has built in factory navigation. If I got this right 2015 was the last year that Honda built there "own" nav in house. After that the nav was designed by Garmin but I'm not sure who actually built it. My question is which unit is better? Depending on the answer probably will dictate what year I'll purchase unless I come across a deal I just can't refuse! Thanks in advance!

PAhonda 01-29-2018 08:42 PM

You can post in here. We typically see more repair questions in this forum. You can also post in the audio/visual electronics forum where you may get some better answers.

I'm not familiar with the differences between the Honda vs Garmin version. How do you define better? I'd probably consider the cost and method of updating the navigation. I'd probably test drive both and determine which version is more intuitive to use.

Teammuncie 01-30-2018 03:48 PM

Factory built nav vrs garmin built nav

Looking at buying 2015 to 2017 Honda Accord coupe within the next 6 months and would like to find one that has built in factory navigation. If I got this right 2015 was the last year that Honda built there "own" nav in house. After that the nav was designed by Garmin but I'm not sure who actually built it. My question is which unit is better? Depending on the answer probably will dictate what year I'll purchase unless I come across a deal I just can't refuse! Thanks in advance!

Teammuncie 01-30-2018 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 378803)
You can post in here. We typically see more repair questions in this forum. You can also post in the audio/visual electronics forum where you may get some better answers.

I'm not familiar with the differences between the Honda vs Garmin version. How do you define better? I'd probably consider the cost and method of updating the navigation. I'd probably test drive both and determine which version is more intuitive to use.

I posted my original question in the audio/visual electronics forum so lets see if anyone has some thoughts on the subject, As of yet I have not test drove any vehicles. Waiting for the weather to straighten out a tad. It sounds like the Garmin designed system is the way to go from what little I've found on the web but was hoping someone would have some hands on experience with them both to shed some light on the matter. What is better? I believe the Garmin is updated via computer with a flash drive where as the Honda unit is by DVD which you have to purchase. Not positive though. Also imputing destinations appears to be much easier in a U-Tube video I watched. A big plus is if you have a Garmin GPS and know how to run it you don't have to learn a new system to run the 2016 and up factory GPS cars.

keep_hope_alive 01-30-2018 06:37 PM

Interesting question. You will need to find someone who has owned both types to get an opinion on preference.

Clarion is listed as the manufacturer for 2016-2017
Alpine is listed as the manufacturer for 2013-2015

I like Garmin nav products and use a DriveSmart 5i currently. Hard to say how well they integrated their features into the car.

Errol Hoberman 02-03-2018 06:21 PM

Better?
I've used dash mounted Garmin's for over 10 years, my 2018 accord came with Garman GPS hard to tell the difference. The 2017 & 2018 Honda/ Garmin come with 5 years of free updates.

Teammuncie 02-22-2018 05:47 PM

I bought a 2016 Accord Touring Coupe and now I need to know how to up date the Nav with the latest maps. Anyone know how to do that?

I also need to obtain the radio's ID # so I activate Sirius XM radio. I tuned it to channel zero but it's not there. Anyone know where to find it?

Teammuncie 02-22-2018 06:09 PM

I bought a 2016 Touring Coupe and the verdict is still out as to how it will measure up against an aftermarket Garmin. I love the screen size and it works generally the same as my 2555LM Garmin which I just love. I'll post more at a latter date once I've got a chance to use the nav more. Now I've got to figure out how to update the maps? Anyone know how to do that?

The other thing the car has is Sirius XM but I can't find the radio number. It's not on channel 0. I found a device # in the info section under radio but I pretty sure that's not it as it's all numbers. If anyone can help out there as well I'd appreciate it!

Teammuncie 04-15-2018 06:07 PM

Still haven't had a chance to use the factory nav much but my aftermarket Garmin has had two map updates to the factory unit's one.... As near as I can tell the factory unit only will get an update once a year so I'm not going to throw away my Garmin 2555LM just yet......:D