Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   fuse box modification (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/fuse-box-modification-12502/)

nafango2 09-14-2007 01:08 PM

fuse box modification

So I bought a keyless entry / alarm system, and have decided to attempt to tackle the installation myself. (note: attempt)

the installation instructions want me to install a wire directly to the battery terminals and have a fuse hanging from the wire, but i dont like that. I want a little more clean approach.

So basically, I was wondering if its possible/plausible to ADD a fuse to the fuse box for a security system, and have it run from there, or perhaps tap into the line for the cig lighter (where ill most likely install the box anyway).
Would that be a good idea? or would i be just better off following the manufacturers instructions and running a line from the battery terminal.

Also, Im a little wary of installing the engine cut off, for a number of reasons. One, id be worried of accidentally hitting the button while i was driving, and two, working with the wires in the steering column makes me nervous, as thats where the SRS is located. (new airbags = $$ + broken nose = ouch)

So what do you think?
Thanks.

sir_nasty 09-14-2007 03:38 PM

RE: fuse box modification

First off, I'd just use an inline fuse and mount it to the firewall so it's clean but still seperate from everything else and has a good constant power connection. You can get some zipties that have a little loop on one end that are designed to be screwed into place. Also, the engine cut off, mount that in a place where it's virtually impossible to hit on accident or get one of those covered type of switches and don't worry to much about problems with wires in the steering column, just stay away from bright yellow wires and ALWAYS disconnect your battery (and pull that inline fuse) before working with anything electrical in your car, no battery, no power, no deployment possible.

nafango2 09-14-2007 04:46 PM

thanks but did you mean connect the inline fuse directly to the battery terminals or is there a better place?

sir_nasty 09-14-2007 04:50 PM

I'd connect it directly to the battery terminal to make 100% certain that it's on it's own circut. Introducing car alarms/remote starts etc. to existing circuts can have some interesting effects on the way your car works. Plust it will make the install look more clean and professional.

nafango2 10-01-2007 01:25 AM

update:

So basically I found a better way than both of those
I looked in the fuse box by the pedals and there are these 5 quick disconnect tabs. after a little testing with a multi-meter i found out that one was constant +12v, one was ground, one was for ACC+, and one was ON+, so i bought some female quick disconnects and plugged it in there.

korrupt1 10-01-2007 01:42 AM

well that works huh?

I was gonna suggest the direct to the battery also for the simple fact that if you started cutting into any wires (splicing) that would be the first culprit to look to if anything goes wrong.....but since you found a viable solution....Ill shut my mouth! LOL! congrats on finding a good hookup spot

2POINTautO 10-03-2007 05:35 PM

I am just cruising this forum, on your vehicle, if you disconnect the battery, what would the effect be with your security system and do you have to know the code to reset your radio. USDM models are more advanced than JDM, I do not have to worry about this type of anti theft stuff but I see lots of it online like this, just bringing it to your attention just in case, lots of folks want to know how to reset their stuff after they did some MX.

nafango2 10-04-2007 06:28 PM

my radio doesnt have a code, and nothing happens to my security system when you disconnect the battery, because im too poor to buy a backup battery and its not really car theives im worried about, its vandalism, (shock sensor)

also when you disconnect/reconnect the battery nothing happens to my security system, it just goes back to working again. is this bad?

nlsk99 10-05-2007 10:13 AM

Nafango2, I am impressed! I too, was trying to locate a constant 12V+ to hook up my back-up camera LCD screen on my Accord coupe and I am still searching for a fused connection that I can tie-in cleanly, any suggestion? Also, I wanted to find a constant 12V+ for the camera at the back of my trunk so that it stays on at all time(or switched). Anyone can help?

nafango2 10-05-2007 08:32 PM

well the connection i used was unfused, I hooked up an inline fuse to the wire. there ARE however these nifty little fuses that you can buy that have a wire coming off the fuse, that you can use to tap into an existing ciruit, such as the Radio. (its actually 2 fuses in one, as it serves as a fuse for the original device AND a fuse for wire, 2 different fuses)
they are kind of hard to find and i cant remember the name of them. You might have better luck using one of those. I dont know if an 05 would have those tabs on the interior fuse box like mine had.
or if all else fails tap into the ignition harness with an inline fuse, but thats a real pain in the arse.