Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Going with a stock radio? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/going-stock-radio-58647/)

ccookie66 03-26-2014 08:03 AM

Going with a stock radio?

Hey guys. I got a question. I bought my car with no radio, but it has all the correct wires for it. (I think) I don't want to rewire anything, I would like to keep it as simple as possible. It still has the stock plug for the radio. So I was thinking of just putting the stock radio in. I have been looking around my area at junkyards and I haven't had any luck finding a stock radio. I got one free off Craigslist, but it was for a 2002 Accord, so the plug was different from my 1992. My question is...is just getting a stock radio for the 1992 year and plugging it in the most simple way of going? I am assuming I can just plug it in the radio and should be all set. The antenna plug is there and the big white plug with tons of little wires going into the dash is there. I don't know very much about radios, which is why I want to go the most simple way possible. What do you guys suggest? Thanks!

TexasHonda 03-26-2014 09:03 AM

Check ebay and car-part.com for 1992 compatible radios.

Most replacement radios can be purchased w/ an adapter kit that allows you to plug directly to your harness w/o modifying any wiring in the car. It may be cheaper to buy a replacement and pay for installation.

good luck

neophyte 03-26-2014 10:51 AM

the installation of the stock radio would be easier. however, I think finding one will be more of a pain than putting in an aftermarket.

for an aftermarket radio it doesnt take much you need:
wire harness
antena adapter
radio
dash kit.

the dash kit will bolt right in. no problems just put it there and put the screws in.
the radio will come with wires. when you attatch those wires to the wire harness you just match colors, red to red, yellow to yellow, etc. just use crimps caps or butt connectors for the simplest way. soldering is better, then crimp caps, then but connectors IMO.
then the wire harness will plug into the factory harness. just clips in. the stereo will slide into the dash kit you installed, and your done.

first time doing it expect it to take an hour to 2 hours. it isnt too difficult. an experienced installer can usually do a radio in a car like that in about 20 to 30 min.

I think if you went that route you would be happy you saved yourself the headache of searching for a factory radio.

keep_hope_alive 03-26-2014 10:35 PM

Thanks, Neo.

I agree. you should not look for a factory radio. they will fail. buy an affordable aftermarket head unit and get the mounting kit and wire harness/antenna adapter.