Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   HELP!! Power Antenna does not work... (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/help-power-antenna-does-not-work-3994/)

Burnzy 07-12-2006 02:53 PM

HELP!! Power Antenna does not work...

Hello All,

Hopefully somebody can help me on this. I've been working on this issue for over a week now and geting nowhere fast. I've used the search feature but have found nothing on or related to my issue.

First off, I have a 94' Accord EX. One day the radio decided it didn't want to work any more so off to the local store I go to get a cheap aftermarket one to put in. I bought a Kenwood xxx-xx288 (I forgot the other letters where). The store installed it and seems to work fine. Well, the next day I noticed the the antenna was not working. I called the store up and they told me to bring it in, probably just a wire they forgot to connect. I never did take it back, always busy with something else and thinking it was just a wire problem I thought I would check it out myself.

Well I've checked everything I could think of. I pulled the radio out and all the wires seem to hooked up to the harness correctly. Checked all the fuses, ok there. I even went out and bought a universal antenna to install, no luck there either. So now I'm thinking it's somewhere in the wiring. Tested the connection back at the antenna and I have 12v at the one wire which stays hot all the time but do not get anything for the other wire (there are two wires plus the black one for ground). It doesn't matter if the radio is on or not.

Anyone have any ideas??

jtf4619 07-12-2006 04:06 PM

RE: HELP!! Power Antenna does not work...

Make sure the blue wire on the plug that plugs into factory harness is connected to the blue wire (pwr. antenna) on the radio harness. If you dont have a blue wire on the radio harness, then connect it to the red wire (accy power). Th only problem with connecting the blue wire on the plug that plugs into the factory harness to the red wire off the radio is the power antenna will stay up all the time when the vehicle is on. So, if you do have a blue wire on the back of the deck, hook it up to that because it does not send out 12V whenever the radio is not on.

Burnzy 07-12-2006 05:10 PM

Yep, checked the blue wire. That's hooked up, checked all the wiring diagrams from the radio users maual and the diagram from the honda manual.

jtf4619 07-12-2006 07:19 PM

It is quite possible that the blue wire on the back of the radio is bad and the deck is just not sending power through the wire when the radio is on. I have seen this quite a few times and most common on cheaper decks. Im guessing just because they are of lower quality......try hooking the blue wire off the factory side to the red wire off the deck and see if that works....

Burnzy 07-13-2006 07:40 PM

Thanks, I will check that out tonight and report back what happened.

Burnzy 07-17-2006 01:20 PM

Thanks jtf4619,

From the radio I switched the blue wire with the wire for the amp. Sure enough this worked, the blue wire from the radio was dead. The antenna now works.