Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   How To Install a Subwoofer (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/how-install-subwoofer-3996/)

Rodzilla 07-12-2006 05:56 PM

How To Install a Subwoofer

I plan to buy a 12" Pioneer subwoofer, along with one of those do-it-yourself subwoofer boxes, but don't know what to do in terms of installation. Here is how my current set up is:

Sony Xplod GT300 head unit (52 watts x 4)

Stock front speakers

Pioneer 220w 6x9s on the back

What else will I need to install a sub? Will I HAVE TO buy an amplifier? Also, seeing as how there are no available wires, how the heck am I gonna connect one to the sub? Oh, and how is the sub gonna get its electricity?

Please help me on this, as I am a complete noob when it comes to car audio installation. Remember, I have a 2000 Sccord LX sedan. Any installation tips, guidelines or instructions would be completely welcome. Thanks.

stevephy 07-13-2006 11:54 AM

RE: How To Install a Subwoofer

O.K., lets start with the headunit. How many outputs does it have? Front/rear/subwoofer? Front/rear? Does it have high-level outs? These are things you can find in your owners manual. The outputs are what sends signals to an external amplifier.

The sub and box comes next. Unless the box has an amp, or the subwoofer is self-powered, you'll need one of each. It doesn't sound like it's either.

Typically you have a sub, an enclosure and an amplifier.

When you are looking at an enclosure make sure that it is proper for the subwoofer. Some subs are for sealed, ported or bandpass enclosures.

When you are looking at an amplifier make sure it can be utilized for a subwoofer. See if it has a high-level in for the signal.

You'll need RCA's, fuses', power cables and a plan of what you want to do.

I'm sure you'll have more questions, so just ask.

StevePhy

P.S. I'm sure I'm missing a number of things, but this just gives you an idea...

Rodzilla 07-13-2006 03:00 PM

My receiver has an output for a subwoofer, I think, because it has subwoofer control. I'll double cehck to make sure. Also, is having a sub and an amp gonna drain my battery? I don't want to put a huge load on the battery due to my greedyness.

Would two 6.5 inch subwoofers be better than one lone 12" subwoofer? I want the hardest hitting sub there is. Thx.

Jm 07-13-2006 10:32 PM

You should maybe go to bestbuy or local car audio place to get them to install it. Remeber when you are going to buy an amp check out the RMS watts and not the peak, RMS is what really counts. 6.5s are door speakers you would be better off getting 2 10" subs i suggest Alpine type-Rs only becasue they sound good with all kinds of music. I have a 1600watt 600rms on my stock battery and its perfectly fine.

Everything you buy for the system counts. So make sure you get a big enough guage wires for everything too. I think you can go to www.sounddomain.com and they have wire guides for all kinds of systems.

hope this helps!

marbro 07-14-2006 02:57 AM

first...... goto best buy to have them install it if you dont care if anything in your car gets screwed up.

second any amp wiring kit usually provides you with everything you need xfeet of power wire, a few feet of ground wire, an inline fusebox with a fuse, x feet of remote turn on wire (this gets tapped onto your decks ignition wire), and then x feet of speaker wire

third usually the cut off point for when you need a capacitor is defined at about 800watts rms, otherwise most anything below that can run off the stock system with little to no issues (issues meaning dimming lights)
the stock alternator is made to power everything in your car for the peak amperage of all the items that are stock which is usually about 70 amps

but if you arent going to run high power you wont need a cap or second battery

this website lays out the general gauge you need for power wire depending on the distance from the battery that you have the amp and how much power the amp draws
http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/e...s/wiresize.htm

Rodzilla 07-17-2006 03:00 AM

ok. I searched around, and found this really good deal. I want to get this package. It comes with 2 12" subs, and an amp. I know that 400w isnt too much power for an amp, but it is enough for me.

http://www.visonikcaraudio.com/sub/p...superbass.html

It includes a wiring kit, but would I still need to go through the same installation as everyone else? If I purchase it, where can I take it to be installed, and how much will it cost? I am a college student, so I am looking for value. THANKS.

trihonda 08-01-2006 03:57 PM

Wow, do a LOT of reading. There's no way to completely explain the how to and what not to do's of car audio installation. There are SO many things that will make you very unhappy with the sound.

1- Installation (and this is the biggie). It's NOT how much wattage you have or how much you spend (sometimes this isn't always true), but its what you do WITH what you have that makes or breaks the system. I used to compete in car audio and won a major show (best in show) running my entire car off a 20w x 4 amp. That was 4 sound-stage speakers and one 12" sub. In wiring a car, you can do things that will create feedback (alternatore noise) or distortion. I always recommend drawing out your car on paper, then diagraming where you will run your wires. DO NOT run them together. Get some help with this, as it is the most important issue. Make sure you don't run signal (source) wires with power wires. I always ran wires on opposite sides of the car.

2- Equipment. You can do a lot with cheap equipment (if it is hooked up well). However, the higher quality components are more forgiving. Cheaper components will generally pick up noise easier. You can teach an elephant to sing, but he won't sound pretty. In other words, you get what you pay for. However, most high end competition equipment is designed to sound increadible. But the difference between the competition stuff and just high end consumer stuff is negligible, and most people (not audiophiles) won't know the difference.

Summary: Get the best stuff you can afford and put most of your attention into propper installtion. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, so I didn't follow this advice. I learned the old fashioned way. through trial and error. But there were a lot of heartaches and some ruined amps/speakers from incorrect wiring. I enjoyed this, but I would recommend people have it professionally installed if the are complete novices (like yourself) or if you must DIY, then get a semi-competent friend who has done it before (and buy him some beer and pizza).

Regards.

Sparco_racingVTEC 08-03-2006 01:39 AM

buy subs from www.crutchfield.com theyll give you vehicle specific instructions